List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I read a post saying that if the Giants pay up enough for Jake Stringer, the Dons will have the currency they need for the Kako bid.

So maybe we should let the Giants have Tim Membery for free, assuming he's OK moving interstate.

That will reduce GWS's need for Stringer, surely? I know who I'd rather have coming into my club.

I can't see the pick swap happening.
GC need #6 to get the Rioli deal done, min.
What has happened at Richmond , they are losing there best 3 players - and I rate Bolton highly and add on Graham who is useful.
And these guys are all reaching there peak - they are all under 27
Gutting the team for draft picks and I will doubt they will find another Rioli , Baker and Bolton in the one draft.
A team with Lynch , Bolton , Rioli , Baker , Broad , Taranto , Hopper , Short , Balta should be attracting players not selling them.
They should of got the free agents like Battle.

What has happened at Richmond , they are losing there best 3 players - and I rate Bolton highly and add on Graham who is useful.
Gutting the team for draft picks and I will doubt they will find another Rioli , Baker and Bolton in the one draft.
A team with Lynch , Bolton , Rioli , Baker , Broad , Taranto , Hopper , Short , Balta should be attracting players not selling them.
It's an interesting strategy: binning the immediate future for heavy investment in a superdraft, could easily set them up for another dynasty but once Jagga and co all hit their peak, but no guarantees as Roo, Lenny, BJ, Dal, X, Ball and co will tell you.

Will Tigers fans be happy to watch them bottom out like Eagles and Roos have? I think so, they've got those recent cups to satisfy them and they are also more accustomed than most to having a team near the bottom of the ladder, I think they'll be patient.

What use are Bolton and the others at Richmond now? Tigers fans would probably get more satisfaction watching the young guys develop than see their stars pull a few old tricks out of the sleeve to win them a few extra games before the inevitable waning of their powers.

Penny for the thoughts of Taranto and Hopper. Doubt they'll get many more top players wanting in for a few years. Maybe just the ones that can't get better offers.

But this deliberate bottom out strategy has become acceptable with fans of clubs who can see the long term benefits. Not exactly tanking but not far off. I wonder how many other clubs will do the same? I can see the Demons going for it; let's face it - they have form.

I hope St Kilda don't do this, Saints fans are too scarred by our history and brimming with pessimism. I don't like it necessarily, but it is interesting how the landscape has changed.

Last edited:

It's am interesting strategy: binning the immediate future for heavy investment in a superdraft, could easily set them up for another dynasty but once Jagga and co all hit their peak, but no guarantees as Roo, Lenny, BJ, Dal, X, Ball and co will tell you.

Will Tigers fans be happy to watch them bottom out like Eagles and Roos have? I think so, they've got those recent cups to satisfy them and they are also more accustomed than most to having a team near the bottom of the ladder, I think they'll be patient.

What use are Bolton and the others at Richmond now? Tigers fans would probably get more satisfaction watching the young guys develop than see their stars pull a few old tricks out of the sleeve to win them a few extra games before the inevitable waning of their powers.

Penny for the thoughts of Taranto and Hopper. Doubt they'll get many more top players wanting in for a few years. Maybe just the ones that can't get better offers.

But this deliberate bottom out strategy has become acceptable with fans of clubs who can see the long term benefits. Not exactly tanking but not far off. I wonder how many other clubs will do the same? I can see the Demons going for it; let's face it - they have form.

I hope St Kilda don't do this, Saints fans are too scarred by our history and brimming with pessimism. I don't like it necessarily, but it is interesting how the landscape has changed.
Getting rid of players in there prime is crazy , Rioli just won there fairest and best , Bolton is one of the most exciting players around and Baker is as good as any halfbacks around - I just can't see giving up 3 star players in there prime and going to the draft which as we know is a lottery - will all 3 of there picks be as good as what they are losing - I doubt it.

If you are lucky a snag the right picks but it doesn't mean success - Suns , GWS have been gifted the best picks for years and still no flag - GWS had there best chance this year but blew it / now they have lost a bunch of players and have a aging core that have most probably seen there best.

Imagine if we lost Sinclair , Wilkie and Steele it would gut us and these guys are a good couple years older than what the Tigers have lost.

Losing Battle in his prime is probably our biggest loss since 2013... he's a quality player, and as close to A grade (with us) that we've had. It's a shame to lose him, but that's the game
Unfortunately it also highlights why we haven't bottomed out like West Coast, Richmond, and potentially Melbourne...we lack true game changing superstars in the 25 to 30 year old bracket.
The truth is we never actually rose up enough to fall.

Last edited:
What have I missed? Is there a daily summary of what's coming in and what's going out?
Here's mine.

Trade Radio - 3 days talking mostly about deals that will never ever ever eventuate.

Big Footy - 200 pages talking mostly about deals that will never ever ever eventuate.

We got Nick Daicos in exchange for the draft rights to Damian Kitschke's kids
Damian Kitschke...Wow, there's a blast from the past. Since nothing is happening at all in the trade world, we might as well give him a couple of seconds of time.
I remember a couple of reserves games at Moorabbin where he dominated.
Never really happened for him at Senior level though. Good mark and a big kick.
Glacially slow though.
That said, compared to the relentless feckin' groundhog day of trade time...he may as well have been the Flash.

Damian Kitschke...Wow, there's a blast from the past. Since nothing is happening at all in the trade world, we might as well give him a couple of seconds of time.
I remember a couple of reserves games at Moorabbin where he dominated.
Never really happened for him at Senior level though. Good mark and a big kick.
Glacially slow though.
That said, compared to the relentless feckin' groundhog day of trade time...he may as well have been the Flash.
I remember when he missed from the goal square at Windy Hill.

Damian Kitschke

copping the wrath of many a beer bellied saints fan in the crowd in the 90s,usually with a slight change to the start of his surname,a true poster whipping boy

I read a post saying that if the Giants pay up enough for Jake Stringer, the Dons will have the currency they need for the Kako bid.

So maybe we should let the Giants have Tim Membery for free, assuming he's OK moving interstate.

That will reduce GWS's need for Stringer, surely? I know who I'd rather have coming into my club.
They had 2 retire.
3 delistings.
Shiel and Stringer to the Giants it seems.

There current picks are: 9,31,86.

they will need a second and a third rounder (roughly) to match a bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clubs are trying to get overs for older guys this year. The Macrae deal would have been straightforward a year or two ago, same with Luke Parker. Still confident we get the Macrae deal done but it definitely won't be until next week.

It's a really aggressive strategy, probably buying 2 or 3 years of pain but I like it. They don't have the depth that is going to get a flag while Lynch, Bolton etc are still playing. Hit what is the best draft pool for a while really hard and rebuild. Hawks did it. Saints should have done it in 2011.

Clubs are trying to get overs for older guys this year. The Macrae deal would have been straightforward a year or two ago, same with Luke Parker. Still confident we get the Macrae deal done but it definitely won't be until next week.

Hard to see how we get McCrae done unless Doggies have a burning need to offload him ( I don't believe they do). Pick 46 does not seem to excite Dogs and can't see Saints using 23. Unless maybe they trade 8 down for Freos 15 and 16 and then use 23?

Hard to see how it can happen but there are always twists.

It's a really aggressive strategy, probably buying 2 or 3 years of pain but I like it. They don't have the depth that is going to get a flag while Lynch, Bolton etc are still playing. Hit what is the best draft pool for a while really hard and rebuild. Hawks did it. Saints should have done it in 2011.
Easy to do when you've just won flags

It's an interesting strategy: binning the immediate future for heavy investment in a superdraft, could easily set them up for another dynasty but once Jagga and co all hit their peak, but no guarantees as Roo, Lenny, BJ, Dal, X, Ball and co will tell you.

Id rather have their 8 wooden spoons than our 27

The hawks lost manager said the Battle thing had been going on for two years.
Piss in his pocket for two years, befriend the missuses. Josh has been sucked in big time.
I believe thats what gubby does.

Losing Battle in his prime is probably our biggest loss since 2013... he's a quality player, and as close to A grade (with us) that we've had. It's a shame to lose him, but that's the game
Unfortunately it also highlights why we haven't bottomed out like West Coast, Richmond, and potentially Melbourne...we lack true game changing superstars in the 25 to 30 year old bracket.
The truth is we never actually rose up enough to fall.
We fell but chose to overlook the consensus pick 1 who turned out to be a superstar and norm smith medalist. I won’t criticise overlooking Bont cos Billings was the correct pick at the time but just hasn’t come on. I suspect development was shit house during that period which didn’t help.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back