List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

What a difference a day makes, everyone was singing Smillies praises yesterday after his honest and well spoken interview - today he is the Bo Callaghan of the AFL. Which I did suggest some months ago when asked who was the most likely candidate this year, not that I am privy to any information pertaining to birthday party attendances.

Having said that, a bit of figjam is what most kids need to get themselves through all of the pathways, I sure as shit didn't have it and got nowhere in the end. It's not like he bullied disabled kids or anything even if the figjam stories are remotely true...

Anyway, I really wanted to keep pick 27 but if we can use it to snag pick 9, well, so be it. If we desperately want a slider on draft night, last year (Garcia or was it Hastie) proved there's ways to sneak back in to the draft.

Cole and Hoffman in consideration - not guaranteeing they get selected.

Tim Membrey - no decision on him, bit of time to see how things play out. Max and Hammer, Sharman, Owens, Wilson.

Jack Hayes - like Membrey, ok to seek opportunities with other clubs. In discussions with Jack.

David Misson on Trade Radio

• Brendon Goddard to coach the VFL team
  • Cole and Hofmann under strong consideration
  • Battle replaceable by Arie, Hastie, McLennan
  • No talks with WB on Macrae
  • Preliminary talks with PA on Soldo but they have other priorities
  • No decision on Tim
  • Hayes free to move

Also, whoever writes the tweets for Trade Radio wrote; Ari Shoemakers, McClennan, Hoffman

My head might explode

Our F1 will genuinely go back about 10 picks, that's how compromised next year's draft is, so its not the worst trade. Not sure if I'd include Membrey, I'd much prefer him to stay on a one year deal than to be running around for Essendon.

Personally I don't love F1 + 27 for 9, but it's about the mark of what the Dons will get offered. Melbourne are so keen to get back into this year's draft I could see them offering F1 + 28. As I've previously said, the Dogs, Geelong, Hawthorn, GWS could all offer similar deals.

That being said, a bid at #5 by the Dees seems too high, and they don't have the safety net of a second first round pick like we do in case Essendon don't match. That may dissuade them from bidding on Kako, and therefore they may lose a bit of leverage. From our perspective we have 7 and 8 to use, so our threat of bidding on Kako at 7 is much more realistic, and if we agree to not bid on Kako as part of the trade for pick 9, that gives Essendon a big points boost for when the bid does come later in the first round.
What if we're bottom four next year? It's not impossible. I get the swap if it's a straight swap but why throw in the 27 which is a nice pick in this draft.

What if we're bottom four next year? It's not impossible. I get the swap if it's a straight swap but why throw in the 27 which is a nice pick in this draft.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense... 25 in this draft equal to 15 in next but we are going to throw away 27, I guess the talent drops off a cliff after 25.

It's a risk worth taking in my opinion.

We may be bottom four but we may also improve which would give us a pick in the teens or even as far back as the 20's with all the academy selections.

This just looks such a good and even draft, if you can get another pick you go for it.

I'm not getting my hopes up though, so much water to go under the bridge and I think we will see some other clubs come hard for that pick once they have their draft hand settled.

Wow no mention of Peckett, perhaps we didnt mention him hoping he we can put him on the rookie list. With Cole and Hofmann possibly drawing attention from other clubs.

Im confident we will get the Macrae trade done, we are just playing ducks and drakes waiting for the pressure to come on them. You would think they would be keen to look after a player of 12 years service but it might come down to the last to blink wins. Next week when Macraes manager and Jackson himself get involved and start ringing Sam Power things will change.

This is the most boring trade period I can remember in ages. So far at least anyway
It’s such an orchestrated media circus. Everyone knows no meaningful trades will get done until just before the buzzer. Even the media on TR are saying this. It’s become cynical viewing. Surely the fans catch wind and don’t bother tuning in until the final day next year.

If we want pick 9, we need to pay up. I'd suggest a club will probably offer more than F1 and 27. Either way, in this year's draft, pick 9 is worth more than our F1.

With any luck, we'll be able to wrangle a deal to grab an extra pick somewhere which would be used for Macrae.

F1 & 27 for pick 9 & Macrae is a deal most people would do. I know Jack Steele would sleep a lot better at night once Macrae is on our list

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Edmund seems to think 46 will likely get used on Soldo.

Unsure on what that means on Macrae but it won't be 27, possibly later future pick
Edmund also said we'd get Band 2 for Josh Battle.

As far as the nuffies running Trade Radio go, he's probably the least in the know in terms of what clubs are thinking / doing

Wow no mention of Peckett, perhaps we didnt mention him hoping he we can put him on the rookie list. With Cole and Hofmann possibly drawing attention from other clubs.

Im confident we will get the Macrae trade done, we are just playing ducks and drakes waiting for the pressure to come on them. You would think they would be keen to look after a player of 12 years service but it might come down to the last to blink wins. Next week when Macraes manager and Jackson himself get involved and start ringing Sam Power things will change.

And the whole, we haven't spoken to Dogs thing is just a ruse. The clubs have had multiple 'speed dating' days, as if they don't talk. Even last year, there was a bit of posturing about Coffield, things always get done.

The only thing that matters is that Macrae and our team are in constant communication - let the media rubbish play out as long as we get our man in the end that's all that matters.

Edmund also said we'd get Band 2 for Josh Battle.

As far as the nuffies running Trade Radio go, he's probably the least in the know in terms of what clubs are thinking / doing
No one knew what band we were getting, it was up and the air and that was his guess, same as many others.

I think he's definitely one of the better ones in terms of getting infor from club land and has been for years.

We're not bottom 4 next year. Against the top 4 teams this year:
  1. Beat Sydney
  2. Lost to Port by 2 and 10 points
  3. W1 L1 against Geelong
  4. Lost to GWS by 1 point
We're right in the mix and if we continue to improve and play consistent footy we're playing finals next year. I think that is worth the risk of trading our future first, in addition to the fact that this year is a better draft than next year, and we get an extra year of development into a possible pick 9.

If we do trade for pick 9 we'll almost have to include 27 given how many suitors the bombers will have and to help them with the Kako bid match, maybe trying to get a future pick back.

If we want pick 9, we need to pay up. I'd suggest a club will probably offer more than F1 and 27. Either way, in this year's draft, pick 9 is worth more than our F1.

With any luck, we'll be able to wrangle a deal to grab an extra pick somewhere which would be used for Macrae.

F1 & 27 for pick 9 & Macrae is a deal most people would do. I know Jack Steele would sleep a lot better at night once Macrae is on our list
Pick 9 is overrated anyway

He only answered the players questioned. NGA's, specific players and trades.
No question on FS or on Hotton.

No one knew what band we were getting, it was up and the air and that was his guess, same as many others.

I think he's definitely one of the better ones in terms of getting infor from club land and has been for years.
Edmund was the one that broke the story about Soldo hating Port from the minute he got there, so it sounds like he has a contact at Port (who are effectively using Edmund as a mouthpiece to say that they want 46) or within Soldo's management.

I'd be surprised if 46 is part of it given it seems to be central to the Macrae deal, but wouldn't be the worst outcome to get Soldo and Macrae for 46 + F3

Both Coff and Clark were tracking really well. Injury has basically destroyed their careers. Coff can’t seem to break into the bulldogs back line, in hindsight that was the wrong club to choose. He might be out of the afl next year.
Coffield was selected the majority of the season for the Bulldogs when he was fit.

Only played three VFL games but eight AFL games this season.

Nothing to do with 'breaking' into the Bulldogs backline.

There's every chance our first pick could be top 5.

You can't say with any certainty that there will be 10 academy picks taken before then. It would be completely unprecedented by magnitudes.

Nobody has any idea what next year's first round will look like. As far as in aware, none of the underagers made the AA team like Reid did. When they were top agers in the under 16s they dominated the AA team, but if you go back through prior under 16's AA teams you'll see only about a third of them typically go on to be first round picks.
Reports are the #1 pick is an academy player. Then McGuane FS to Collingwood going in the top 5.

Edmund was the one that broke the story about Soldo hating Port from the minute he got there, so it sounds like he has a contact at Port (who are effectively using Edmund as a mouthpiece to say that they want 46) or within Soldo's management.

I'd be surprised if 46 is part of it given it seems to be central to the Macrae deal, but wouldn't be the worst outcome to get Soldo and Macrae for 46 + F3
Yep, he's usually on the money with stories like that. Was the first to report the Bailey Smith to Geelong 12 months prior too.

Not sure ut would be coming from Port though, I think they'll ask for more to start with, but it will likely land around that mark, whether it's that pick or future third.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back