List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus another one with the Caps.

I didn't preclude what you said.

If you drafted two good players every years after 10 years you'd have 20 good players with none over 28.
Trouble is, the saints couldn't get 2, and kept trying to short cut it.
Seems my sarcasm was missed.

I wonder if we could have a shot at Nick Bryan.

A pure ruckman that wins hitouts and 23 in October. Has been dominating VFL for a couple of years but Draper is clearly preferred at the Bombers. If we don't get Moyle, I reckon he's a solid backup option to send Campbell into retirement and support Marshall.

Kieran Strachan from Adelaide also an option. Stuck behind O'Brien but has shown good signs at AFL level when hes played.

Plenty of options, we should capitalise this off-season

with our 2024 prospects dimming,how does that set us up to get this nga kid we been raving about?

is it Cole?what sort of pick is expected to get him?

if we are bottom 6 is he a chance for our 2nd rounder?

I wonder if we could have a shot at Nick Bryan.

A pure ruckman that wins hitouts and 23 in October. Has been dominating VFL for a couple of years but Draper is clearly preferred at the Bombers. If we don't get Moyle, I reckon he's a solid backup option to send Campbell into retirement and support Marshall.

Kieran Strachan from Adelaide also an option. Stuck behind O'Brien but has shown good signs at AFL level when hes played.

Plenty of options, we should capitalise this off-season
Problem is most of the ruck options are under contract (Bryan and Strachan both until end of next year) - we have to part with enough currency to prise them out and that means overpaying for a back-up ruck option. The best options out of contract would be Ned Moyle and Lloyd Meek, maybe Lachlan McAndrew out of Sydney.

with our 2024 prospects dimming,how does that set us up to get this nga kid we been raving about?

He's not on anyone's ratings ATM.
Ideally Peckett goes as high as possible and Cole the opposite.

Doesn’t matter where we finish if he is in the 40s we can’t get him. 💯 worth a rookie spot from what I have seen but if he start performing well he will go in the 40s. Just with his athletic profile. He would be a very hand get for us

Adrian Cole is the most likely of our NGA's, a key defender clocking in at 195cm last published measurement, one of the vice captains at Sandy Dragons and a Capricorn.

Where he goes on the draft board, way too early to say. As it the bidding process stands, we can only bid-match if he gets past pick 40, which is how a few clubs lost out last year as a bunch of NGA kids were drafted between picks 28-39. We got Collard from West Coast's academy, Geelong took Mitch Edwards from Freo's NGA, Collingwood took Tew Jiath from Hawthorn's academy - ironically with a 2nd rounder originally belonging to Hawthorn and Luamon Lual was drafted by Essendon out of the Doggies academy.

So if he does start to move up the board, we might have to pull the trigger using our first or the Adelaide second we got from GWS to secure him.

He's not on anyone's ratings ATM.
Ideally Peckett goes as high as possible and Cole the opposite.
Would prefer Peckett to slide past our first and ideally the Adelaide second we have. Take a leaf out of the 2021 draft, use early picks and pick up academy kids with junk selections

Problem is most of the ruck options are under contract (Bryan and Strachan both until end of next year) - we have to part with enough currency to prise them out and that means overpaying for a back-up ruck option. The best options out of contract would be Ned Moyle and Lloyd Meek, maybe Lachlan McAndrew out of Sydney.
Hawks won't let Meek go. McAndrew could be a solid shout. I don't think Strachan would cost much - maybe a 3rd rounder while Bryan is probably more expensive but he's a lot better of a player imo

Would prefer Peckett to slide past our first and ideally the Adelaide second we have. Take a leaf out of the 2021 draft, use early picks and pick up academy kids with junk selections

At this stage I very much doubt either Peckett or Cole to be looked at inside the top 40 at the draft. Peckett is not named in any of the state squads and Cole is in the train on list but is 50/50 to get match time at this stage.

Lets not forget the AFL & clubs are currently formulating a number of changes to the draft points, NGA & father son rules. Dillon said they may be signed off and come into play before the end of this season. I think what we can expect is clubs having to match a first or second round bid player with an actual pick in that range. No more farcical events like with GCS last years draft. They are also talking about clubs being able to trade draft picks 2 years in advance, which will make it really speculative. Plus they are discussing clubs being able to buy draft picks with salary cap dollars. Its also looking like the mid season trade is a monty to get the go ahead next season.

Last edited:
So if he does start to move up the board, we might have to pull the trigger using our first or the Adelaide second we got from GWS to secure him.
thanks,thats along the lines of what i was thinking

At this stage I very much doubt either Peckett or Cole to be looked at inside the top 40 at the draft. Peckett is not named in any of the state squads and Cole is in the train on list but is 50/50 to get match time at this stage.

Lets not forget the AFL & clubs are currently formulating a number of changes to the draft points, NGA & father son rules. Dillon said they may be signed off and come into play before the end of this season. I think what we can expect is clubs having to match a first or second round bid player with an actual pick in that range. No more farcical events like with GCS last years draft. They are also talking about clubs being able to trade draft picks 2 years in advance, which will make it really speculative. Plus they are discussing clubs being able to buy draft picks with salary cap dollars. Its also looking like the mid season trade is a monty to get the go ahead next season.
If this comes in this year, this is something we have to consider. We have a massive salary cap but we aren't guaranteed to bring anyone in on big dollars so its the perfect time to sacrifice some of it for draft picks. Targeting a team like Gold Coast for one of their 1sts and try to move up into the top 8 picks to get one of the gun mids would be huge for our 'refresh'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last thing we need is FA's. By the time we are challenging whatever FA's we got will be well and truly retired by then FFS. We need to be going to the Draft every year for the next 5 years. No trading for players, no FA's just draft the best young guns. And while you are at it, start thinking about trading some of our older stars to get more FRDP's in the door. None of our players over the age of 27 will be around when we are challenging. Trade them for more picks at the end of this year. I would trade Steels for pick 12 or better. Same with Sinclair. I would even consider trading Marshall but I would only do that if we got a top 10 pick plus another FRDP. It's time to become truly ruthless and stop Ducking around anymore. Enough is enough.....

Nexus Nick/Helen finally reveals himself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawks won't let Meek go. McAndrew could be a solid shout. I don't think Strachan would cost much - maybe a 3rd rounder while Bryan is probably more expensive but he's a lot better of a player imo
Hawks won't want to let Meek go but he's out of contract and the slightly younger Reeves has an extra year and is on a bigger salary (big enough to be a restricted free agent next year). As far as back-up options go he's more attainable than most.

If we aren't all over Ned Moyle this year then our recruiting team are derelict in their roles. Get Moyle into ruck and use Marshall in the tall forward/2nd ruck role. Marshall is just as valuable to our forward structure as he is around the ground, which I think Moyle can fill that hole.

Last edited:
The last thing we need is FA's. By the time we are challenging whatever FA's we got will be well and truly retired by then FFS. We need to be going to the Draft every year for the next 5 years. No trading for players, no FA's just draft the best young guns. And while you are at it, start thinking about trading some of our older stars to get more FRDP's in the door. None of our players over the age of 27 will be around when we are challenging. Trade them for more picks at the end of this year. I would trade Steels for pick 12 or better. Same with Sinclair. I would even consider trading Marshall but I would only do that if we got a top 10 pick plus another FRDP. It's time to become truly ruthless and stop Ducking around anymore. Enough is enough.....
A mix of both shrewd drafting and trading is needed..

If we aren't all over Ned Moyle this year then our recruiting team are derelict in their roles. Get Moyle into ruck and use Marshall in the tall forward/2nd ruck role. Marshall is just as valuable to our forward structure as he is around the ground, which I think Moyle can fill that hole.
Few clubs having been looking at Moyle for a while, I like this idea.

Reasonable to think Peckett won't hit first round territory but say we have pick 10, l hope he gets to 11.

NGA/FS changes come into force 2025, l believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back