List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

And every year a “Chad Warner” type pops up at pick 39 from Aquinas College. There are (almost) Always excellent players through the draft…the key is selecting them and then developing them.

To say this Draft is crap because there’s no Harley Reid is absolutely ridiculous,

No one knows how good this Draft class is going to be

That's not what anyone's been saying.
They've been say exactly that. That the draft runs deep, but the top end isn't standing out.
So not worth trading up.

Which happens every year, except for Reid, Jhf. Jagga, FOS, Smilie and Ashcroft are going to be really good elite players….probably along with 3 or 4 others

Ashcroft is probably the most guaranteed high level player in the front end of the draft and not available to anyone apart from Brisbane, I think that dude Akitofu reckons Reid is shit. Smilie looks underwhelming in the champs games. He looks neat and rounded but he’s not exciting. O’Sullivan is injured so hasn’t shown enough to disappoint yet. Jagga and Trainor look the best that are currently considered top 6 picks.

I reckon a couple could be GOPs in that first round. I usually start to get really hyped by a few by now, there are some nice players but none are slap you in the face obvious this year. Jagga so far has been the best and then Ashcroft and maybe Lombard who is very consistent but played VFL already. The ones that I like best all seem to be further down the food chain.

Lose battle, get pick 5, trade 4 or 5 into next year somehow?

I reckon other clubs won’t be that interested in trading up this year unless someone slides. If that happens we’d be best to take the player.

remember that time Carton extended the broken down hack who cant get near the Park in Charlie Curnow for 4 years in 2018.

geez that shit truck has done nothing since...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah...4 years...not F*cking 9.
Also let's be logical, Curnow leads for the ball, is a good mark, and plays like a modern full forward. He was going to make it, because he has the right forward craft for his position.
Max King stands still, mopes around, gets regularly beaten by guys a foot shorter than him, and is a broken down witches hat. He is physically unable to play the way he seems to think he can play. He tries to wrestle and grapple, he's simply not strong enough to get away with it.
He has two years left on his current contract...he needs to prove he is able to stay on the park, and needs to prove he can be a consistent and reliable target. Either as a full forward or up the field. So far he has been disappointing...and we frankly look far better without him in the forward line.

Last edited:
Also let's be logical, Curnow leads for the ball, is a good mark, and plays like a modern full forward. He was going to make it, because he has the right forward craft for his position.
Max King stands still, mopes around, gets regularly beaten by guys a foot shorter than him, and is a broken down witches hat. He is physically unable to play the way he seems to think he can play. He tries to wrestle and grapple, he's simply not strong enough to get away with it.
He has two years left on his current contract...he needs to prove he is able to stay on the park, and needs to prove he can be a consistent and reliable target. Either as a full forward or up the field. So far he has been disappointing...and we frankly look far better without him in the forward line.
Agree. But I think he can be more than he is now, much more.

...and I'd say the coach does too. Ross isn't a fool or sentimental - if you cast your mind back to 2012, you'll remember a ruthless cold-hearted decision that he made. If he and SOS doubted King, he'd be allowed to wind down his current contract or put on the market.

They obviously think he's at least worth the gamble. If it doesn't pay off, maybe they figure they'll trade him and his huge salary for whatever they can get, and just blame the whole thing on Lethers picking Max instead of listening to his List Manager.

They obviously think he's at least worth the gamble. If it doesn't pay off, maybe they figure they'll trade him and his huge salary for whatever they can get, and just blame the whole thing on Lethers picking Max instead of listening to his List Manager.
I'm this will be front of mind for them....lol

i get battle looking to leave... but why hawthorn? that's the part i don't get. if its about on-field performance, hawthorn whilst they have been more competitive this year, don't exactly look like they're going anywhere anytime soon.

i actually think our forms the worst its been in a while but we've still been in games. we've lost 6 games with 10 points or less. if you turn those around we are right up there.

i dont see the same with hawthorn. hawthorn meanwhile had their best patch of form in years but still aren't looking like they're going to play finals. i see a club who's improved through trading in some existing players but i dont see a club who's going to challenge for a flag and i think they go backwards again next year or the year after.
Boyhood club.

Family are still diehard paid up members.

Growing up, apparently one of Josh’s favourite players…

Sam Mitchell.

Ned McHenry might be 1 to look at as a small forward option.

Boyhood club.

Growing up, apparently one of Josh’s favourite players…

Sam Mitchell.
That comment would have no bearing on his decision, when you play AFL all that boy hood stuff goe's out the door, if that was the case imagine how many players would move yearly to get to their boyhood club.

Josh gave a hint the other day in the presser the club is heading in the right direction all he wants is more success and stability with football staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After the Sydney game I thought I would have been happy with King this year if he had played like Sharman did on the weekend. But reading this post made me realise how strange that is. If Sharman can do it on a rookie contract, what are we paying the big bucks to King for?
I really hope we put contract talks on hold. There is no rush, the end of 2026 is still a long way off. If he has a big year in 2025, sure, sign him then. But he needs to show more, I don't want to hear any more about his potential. I'm not saying he has to kick 3 plus goals every week, but leading, competing in the contest/bringing the ball to ground and not constantly looking like he was just told his dog died would be a great start.

Did anyone think we looked worse on the weekend with him not playing? I get the feeling based on his huge form drop off that he hasn't been close to 100% fit since round 2. If that is the case, this week has shown that he probably shouldn't have been playing.

Last edited:

BkP6jK1.gif

That comment would have no bearing on his decision, when you play AFL all that boy hood stuff goe's out the door, if that was the case imagine how many players would move yearly to get to their boyhood club.

Josh gave a hint the other day in the presser the club is heading in the right direction all he wants is more success and stability with football staff.
Hawthorn seems to think it matters and I’d suggest if it’s a line ball call - like it apparently is.

Then obviously it does in this case.

Plenty of players when they retire go back to supporting their childhood clubs.

And re the interview. If it was a hint than what the hell was the comment about putting it off until the end of the season?

I think if you want to go looking for hope in an interview like that, overlay it with the facts you know.

He has a deal agreed in round 2. Practically all done and we are at round 17 this week and we are no closer - Infact Josh himself has pushed his decision until years end.

It’s not like we aren’t willing to pay his market rate or agree to the years he wants etc.

Hawthorn seems to think it matters and I’d suggest if it’s a line ball call - like it apparently is.

Then obviously it does in this case.

Plenty of players when they retire go back to supporting their childhood clubs.

And re the interview. If it was a hint than what the hell was the comment about putting it off until the end of the season?

I think if you want to go looking for hope in an interview like that, overlay it with the facts you know.

He has a deal agreed in round 2. Practically all done and we are at round 17 this week and we are no closer - Infact Josh himself has pushed his decision until years end.

It’s not like we aren’t willing to pay his market rate or agree to the years he wants etc.
I would say in this case he & his manager have gambled on season & it has paid off which means what we offered in R2 has now gone up $200,000 per season.

There are Hawks supporters who think they might end up with Battle, Bailey Smith, and Perryman.

Would be hilarious if they got none of them and had to spend their cap on their existing players.

I’m still backing that if that offer from Hawthorn triggers band 1.

He will be a Hawk player.

We probably won't get a player the quality of Battle with that band 1 pick.
You might be right. But that doesn't make it good.
Lot of people seem excited at the prospect of going backwards.

I truly do get the whole Band 1 argument.

And “we need mids” argument.

And the “third tall defenders” are easy to replace argument.

However as a long time supporter I have difficulty in hoping/cheering for an event to occur whereby a loyal, dependable, talented, consistent, popular, heart and soul player leaves the club to play elsewhere. It just doesn’t sit right with me.

Other clubs have benefits with first round compensation picks although that has usually been forced upon them as players have made the decision to leave rather than been forced out. And maybe that’s what will happen here with great offers from both clubs.

And if Josh goes to Hawthorn for reasons of money, tenure or some sense of pubescent love of horrible footy colours, then so be it. I’ll accept it and harbour no hatred towards him.

And maybe then we’ll get lucky with whoever we take at the pick we’re given.

Nonetheless I can’t hope or wish for that. Our support of our club is based on a love and loyalty to those players who take the field. Particularly those with talent and good attitudes.

So despite the holes in our midfield I’d still prefer to read that he has re-signed with the Saints.

It will be a move backwards in the short term. It would also IMO necessitate ensuring Howard is under contract for next season.

Unless we have a decent alternative FB lined up we need to keep Howard irrespective of whether Battle stays or goes. Though if he goes we need Howard even more.

Wilkie is a much more effective player when he is free to intercept and not play as our FB.

Despite all the bagging Howard has copped he really only played the one bad game this season, and that was when he was underdone.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back