2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

I know everyone wants the best slider at our second rounder.

But I really want A/A ruck Alex Dodson.

He's one of the real hype players of the draft, I have watched him because I got caught up in it too. I haven't been as keen since watching him. Luke Jackson stood out in his draft year. He looked dominant. Not sure his game is that outstanding and if he hadn't been an elite potential basketball I don't think he would be as hyped. You should be able to get a good ruck on the cheap. Guys like Xerri were taken late (pick 72).

I reckon we should get Goober into Sandy for a year and give him a personal trainer and dietician. Unleash him in 2026. He's still one of the best players in the VFL this year. He's way too good to waste away he's still only 24.

He's one of the real hype players of the draft, I have watched him because I got caught up in it too. I haven't been as keen since watching him. Luke Jackson stood out in his draft year. He looked dominant. Not sure his game is that outstanding and if he hadn't been an elite potential basketball I don't think he would be as hyped. You should be able to get a good ruck on the cheap. Guys like Xerri were taken late (pick 72).

I reckon we should get Goober into Sandy for a year and give him a personal trainer and dietician. Unleash him in 2026. He's still one of the best players in the VFL this year. He's way too good to waste away he's still only 24.
Bloody hell didn't realise Goober's still only 24. No wonder his mum looks so good. 🤔

Bloody hell didn't realise Goober's still only 24. No wonder his mum looks so good. 🤔

Jeez, i hope he got laid when he was 18.

31d47a77b3ffa8e58bcda02f9865fb65

Successful clubs keep their best players, while perennial low-achieving clubs, try quick fixes and radical trade moves, coach changes, in an attempt to get instant results. We need Battle, and ideally he should be playing in finals at this stage of his career, so we need to throw everything at him to keep him a Saint.
At what cost though should we be paying him 1.1-1.2 million to keep him?

I love Battle but the line needs to be drawn at some point

At what cost though should we be paying him 1.1-1.2 million to keep him?

I love Battle but the line needs to be drawn at some point
IMHO we should be matching whatever Hawks offer and use our excess cash there instead of a 9 year contract for Max.
Switch him back to a forward, keep Howard and fill the hole with Wilkie, Ari, Hammer.

I presume Battle is gone the AFL has let Twoomey prepare the ground for a 1st round Comp pick early so it doesn’t look too rigged when they announce it bit like McKay last year. Perhaps all our bleating about compromised drafts will bear some fruit even if it is not what we were campaigning for.

The AFL are an interventionist bunch they don’t mind putting the hand on the lever to try and engineer a result probably because they know they can’t afford a completely uncompromised draft or a completely fair fixture if they want the Northern Clubs to succeed and maximise the big clubs revenue. So a little help to North a little to St Kilda just keep everyone sweet.

Personally I think they should make the top ten picks in the draft completely open no Father Son no NGA make the top ten pure that is the 10 teams that missed the finals let them take the cream of the crop and then let all the Father Son NGA stuff run. At that point in the draft clubs start to have wildly different opinions on players anyway so the compromise is less impactful. Jamara going to the Dogs was wrong and by re-instating the NGA rules we are setting ourselves up for this to happen again. If a Daicos was looming in the draft and Collingwood were desperate then they would need to trade up to get him. Actually if they just kept their original draft pick that year they might have got him anyway. You also raise the salary for a top ten pick considerably like the NBA do so players are happy to go in the top ten. That provides some compensation for the fact you miss out on going to your Dads club or the club you have been training at for 5 years. Band 1 comp for losing a Free Agent would start at pick 11 for any club in the bottom 10 then follow the normal pattern. This would also make the value of a top 10 pick a lot more come trade time. Most Father sons and most NGA would still find their way to their club but the elite kids would be openly available.

Mind you if they did bring this in it would no doubt start the year the first Riewoldt Father Son was tearing up the U18 Champs

I presume Battle is gone the AFL has let Twoomey prepare the ground for a 1st round Comp pick early so it doesn’t look too rigged when they announce it bit like McKay last year. Perhaps all our bleating about compromised drafts will bear some fruit even if it is not what we were campaigning for.

The AFL are an interventionist bunch they don’t mind putting the hand on the lever to try and engineer a result probably because they know they can’t afford a completely uncompromised draft or a completely fair fixture if they want the Northern Clubs to succeed and maximise the big clubs revenue. So a little help to North a little to St Kilda just keep everyone sweet.

Personally I think they should make the top ten picks in the draft completely open no Father Son no NGA make the top ten pure that is the 10 teams that missed the finals let them take the cream of the crop and then let all the Father Son NGA stuff run. At that point in the draft clubs start to have wildly different opinions on players anyway so the compromise is less impactful. Jamara going to the Dogs was wrong and by re-instating the NGA rules we are setting ourselves up for this to happen again. If a Daicos was looming in the draft and Collingwood were desperate then they would need to trade up to get him. Actually if they just kept their original draft pick that year they might have got him anyway. You also raise the salary for a top ten pick considerably like the NBA do so players are happy to go in the top ten. That provides some compensation for the fact you miss out on going to your Dads club or the club you have been training at for 5 years. Band 1 comp for losing a Free Agent would start at pick 11 for any club in the bottom 10 then follow the normal pattern. This would also make the value of a top 10 pick a lot more come trade time. Most Father sons and most NGA would still find their way to their club but the elite kids would be openly available.

Mind you if they did bring this in it would no doubt start the year the first Riewoldt Father Son was tearing up the U18 Champs
Jamara situation wil 100% happen again and the big clubs will make a big song and dance about it. Luckily for us, the Riewoldt kids will be superstar baseball players for the Astros

Having picks 4 and 5 in this draft looks really sweet. I can absolutely see the reasoning for letting Battle go if that's what we end up with.

It's such a shame he's an unrestricted free agent though. We could just match if the compo wasn't to our liking. A huge **** up by the club to let him get unrestricted.

I second this. No compromises on the top 10. If you get a FS in the top 10, fine a way to get a better pick or trade for them later. You'd still have the advantage of being the club their father played for, which would always be a pull

I'd also go no NGA until 20, but add that any NGA selected after 40 doesn't count as a list spot or in the salary cap for their rookie contract. It encourages clubs to take risks on players who haven't played a bunch of AFL, which is the whole point of NGA anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the first quarter of the stingrays vs dragons game. Langford is taking the piss, hynes good, Cole will be a handy pick up and peckett is playing pretty well. Happy days

Can you stream it live anywhere -would love to have look?

Just watched the first quarter of the stingrays vs dragons game. Langford is taking the piss, hynes good, Cole will be a handy pick up and peckett is playing pretty well. Happy days

Langford doesn't ever seem to have a bad game.

With the top echelon in the draft expanding, it’s seeming increasingly unlikely we can miss on 2 guns with our first 2 picks. Seems there’ll be 4 or 5 guys any of who we’d be very happy to get.
Would love to make Adelaide cough up for Draper however. Full GWS mode, what a trade that was in hindsight.

Wilson looks like a gun (Leake, TBC).

On Pixel 6a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back