Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

48596211f4027689534f0e9fce1f671c.jpg
3f01c508cf76ea0954a451a949b65746.jpg

9c88222b952a9962dddf181eb8556326.jpg

7ddf0c481a8b1927284f5cd22a16f778.jpg

That’s fair enough as you’ve only seen him once, but those of us that have seen him over 20 sessions since preseason started might have a different perspective, and it’s not just because he is tall. Has the most potential out of anyone. He can mark. Kicking is elite. Good runner for his height. With a left foot that such a weapon. He has been the most impressive. Just a real need. A shame his injury.

But multiple media didn’t go with him bring the leading contender for no reason. It has substance. He was basically a lock pre injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's training Jen. It hasn't and might not even translate to him being any good. I'm happy either way we go because I trust the club but I'm not taking anyone based on how good they look in pre season training. The Brown Bros were great trainers and VFL players but it didn't amount to much for them

It's training Jen. It hasn't and might not even translate to him being any good. I'm happy either way we go because I trust the club but I'm not taking anyone based on how good they look in pre season training. The Brown Bros were great trainers and VFL players but it didn't amount to much for them

It might not but he has the potential which they see. Just gotta develop him and hopefully he can make it work.
That’s what the rookie list is for.

We will see what happens. At worst they will see how his recovery goes and tell him they will select him mid year and he can have access to all the clubs recovery resources in the meantime.

Last edited:
I’m happy to list eyres if there’s a definite feeling at the club that he’s the pick of the bunch. it definitely comes with risk though given how we have carried Dean and Kreuger in recent years, not to mention the Murphy situation

They’ll have to weigh up risk v reward

I think one way or another, he’ll end up on the list just a matter of when.

I didn't share the raves on Eyre. I thought he was 50/50. Now I think he's no chance.
Teakle would be firming. He seemed confident when asked last week, but he said, "I don't want to count my chickens just yet."
Sullivan and Bytel could both be selected. We will definitely pick one of them. Sullivan is more the Tay Tay selection, but Bytel is the more athletic running insider.
Personally, I have no idea. What we see and what the club sees can be very different.

I don’t think this hamstring injury is going to decide whether the Pies select him or not. If they think he is a clear standout to cover a list need (as others believe), then I’m of the view he will land a spot.

But, again, I don’t know whether the club shares the enthusiasm of some here.

It’s ironic we cut McMahon quickly and he is now with the Essendon VFL team, and they cut Eyre about the same time and he is at our VFL team.

Both young key position players who didn’t get an extra year on their initial draft contract. I noticed on the Essendon board, a few suggesting McMahon be listed.

I didn't share the raves on Eyre. I thought he was 50/50. Now I think he's no chance.
Teakle would be firming. He seemed confident when asked last week, but he said, "I don't want to count my chickens just yet."
Sullivan and Bytel could both be selected. We will definitely pick one of them. Sullivan is more the Tay Tay selection, but Bytel is the more athletic running insider.
I tend to agree. I’d be going with Teakle, Sullivan and Bytel. All can play immediately if needed

I’m happy to list eyres if there’s a definite feeling at the club that he’s the pick of the bunch. it definitely comes with risk though given how we have carried Dean and Kreuger in recent years, not to mention the Murphy situation

Good luck to him either way. It’s a helluva lot of focus on a guy looking to fill the 40th (?) spot on our list. I get that these are the only real list changes we can make at this time, but it’s unlikely to affect our on-field product in any meaningful capacity, certainly in 2024, and probably matters far more to him than any of us.

Imagine scrutinising the decision to possibly add Corey Gault or Ben Richmond to the list with this level of intensity? It’s as though this is the SSP thread for an underachieving bottom-four team rather than the preseason thread of the reigning premiers.

Good luck to him either way. It’s a helluva lot of focus on a guy looking to fill the 40th (?) spot on our list. It’s unlikely to affect our on-field product in any meaningful capacity, certainly in 2024, and probably matters far more to him than any of us.

Imagine scrutinising the decision to possibly add Corey Gault or Ben Richmond to the list? Woof!

at this time of year it’s all we have to focus on.

next week it will be all about the players we have chosen, and the rest won5 grab much of our attention

(Log in to remove this ad.)

at this time of year it’s all we have to focus on.

next week it will be all about the players we have chosen, and the rest won5 grab much of our attention

I just feel sorry for all the guys who have already gotten their rose, and now have to stand around, shifting weight from one foot to the other, waiting for the Bachelorette to make up her mind while they can’t even get drunk.

giphy.gif

That’s fair enough as you’ve only seen him once, but those of us that have seen him over 20 sessions since preseason started might have a different perspective, and it’s not just because he is tall. Has the most potential out of anyone. He can mark. Kicking is elite. Good runner for his height. With a left foot that such a weapon. He has been the most impressive. Just a real need. A shame his injury.

But multiple media didn’t go with him bring the leading contender for no reason. It has substance. He was basically a lock pre injury.

If he was, then he will be offered a spot. He isn’t having a knee reconstruction. Isn’t it just a severe hamstring where he’ll only miss the first 8-12 weeks of the season?

The injury shouldn’t have any baring on it. I think that has already been confirmed.

If he was, then he will be offered a spot. He isn’t having a knee reconstruction. Isn’t it just a severe hamstring where he’ll only miss the first 8-12 weeks of the season?

The injury shouldn’t have any baring on it. I think that has already been confirmed.

It shouldn’t I agree. And he’s still in with a chance. Sure the injury isn’t ideal, but has he shown enough over 3 months? I would think so. But that’s just my
Outside opinion.
A lot would go into these decisions.

Good luck to him either way. It’s a helluva lot of focus on a guy looking to fill the 40th (?) spot on our list. I get that these are the only real list changes we can make at this time, but it’s unlikely to affect our on-field product in any meaningful capacity, certainly in 2024, and probably matters far more to him than any of us.

Imagine scrutinising the decision to possibly add Corey Gault or Ben Richmond to the list with this level of intensity? It’s as though this is the SSP thread for an underachieving bottom-four team rather than the preseason thread of the reigning premiers.
Very true. Its a very late list spot and a group of guys are hoping to get the few available. At this level its hit and miss and unfortunately getting an injury that may cost half a season will factor in. There will be pros and cons being considered for each player and a serious hamstring tendon injury in a kid with a history has to factor into considerations.

Because there’s a surgery and rehab to navigate, neither of which is a guaranteed straight-line path to success. Why not wait until mid-season and see how those things pan out? Until then, keep him on the VFL list.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
So you’d rather we let him rehab part-time with our VFL facilities and hope it works out, and then hope he’s available at the MSD (which we would then likely need to offer an 18 month contract), than just recruit him on a 1 year deal, let him rehab full time in the best facilities available with one of the best strength and conditioning departments in the league and then make another call on him at the end of the year? All to save a spot in the list for 3 months?

Do you not understand how psychotic that sounds?

I agree on Eyre. I've only seen him once live and he did nothing that stood out. It seems like another case of "he's tall, let's take him". I reckon if we wanted a project Key Defender we will take Sof. Eyre must have improved 1000% between last year and so far this year. I'm glad I lost my rose colored glasses decades ago
Don’t lie, you did not. 😆

Would be a good ploy but….

doesnt the afl need to sign off on LTIs ? If so, why would they sign off a hamstring as season ending when it’s usually a 4-6 week injury?
LTI is a minimum of 6 weeks, not season ending.

Pre-season training + Match Sim - Feb 9

Today was a special day. Not only did we get to see some decent amount of match sim, but as fans we had the opportunity to watch one of the drills from on the ground, up close to the players.

Players absent:

• Sidey
  • Richards
  • DeMattia.

* Josh Daicos participated in everything, even some match sim. Probably half of that I would think.
*Murphy did some drills, no match sim as they hold him out for some reason.

The boys looked slick, good cohesion and connectability with one another. A real emphasis on handball quick chains through the middle, and not always bombing it on. But point eye to a leading target.

Match sim teams:

Black (Team A)

• Lippa
  • JDG
  • IQ
  • Maynard
  • Elliott
  • Mitchell
  • JDaicos
  • Shultz
  • Noble
  • DC
  • Hill
  • Crisp
  • Reef
  • Moore
  • Beau
  • WHE
  • NDaicos
  • Markov
  • Howe
  • Mihocek
  • Cox

White (Team B)

• Pendles
  • Carmichael
  • Kreuger
  • Allan
  • Frampton
  • Macrae
  • TJ
  • Eyre
  • Steene
  • Ryan
  • Harrison
  • Begg
  • Johnson
  • Dean
  • Bytel
  • Hustwaite
  • Sullivan
  • Teakle
  • Longmire (top up)
  • Long (Top up)

Its becoming clear that Reef is starting to be the preferred candidate to replace Mcstay. He played in the probables team alongside our usual forwardline.

Noble also played in team A, whether this was because Murphy didn't participate, who knows. WHE played wing.

Lippa was also on Team A, and going by this, he aint going anywhere, He was profolific in the middle, and kicked a goal on the run from 50. Was involved in a lot of chains.

Nick was brilliant, him and Jordy look like they will go to a new level this year. Bring it on.

After Eyre went down, they put Dean up closer to goal, Howe went forward. Tried a few different things in the 2nd half. Beau in the middle. Fin forward.

Carmichael played on the wing, trying something different there too.

When Eyre did his hammy, it put a damper on the mood a bit, and they had to shuffle some things in the backline.

Kreuger for the white team looked really good, their best forward. He took marks, and kicks goals, but not in a reckless way. Gave me some hope we may see him again yet.

Johnson kicked a couple goals for Team B, then in the 2nd half, he switched.

Reef was outstanding with his leading, kicked a few goals and just looked really good playing in the black team.

While Fin played for the white team, he got a heap of the ball, and did brilliantly through the middle.

Hoping Fin’s training form translates to in season form!

To me he’s the most critical question mark. You can go with a make shift forward line and win a premiership, but there is no alternative to clearances. We need him winning the ball.

Maybe it’s not right to say no alternative, the Hawks used to win a lot of games whilst losing contested ball and the clearances. More often than not work around the ball sets you up for a win. This is why I’m more inclined to spend our next years cap space on a midfielder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back