Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hoping Fin’s training form translates to in season form!

To me he’s the most critical question mark. You can go with a make shift forward line and win a premiership, but there is no alternative to clearances. We need him winning the ball.

Maybe it’s not right to say no alternative, the Hawks used to win a lot of games whilst losing contested ball and the clearances. More often than not work around the ball sets you up for a win. This is why I’m more inclined to spend our next years cap space on a midfielder.
Crisp was saying on 9 news last night that Fin is stronger on the inside, and his running capacity has increased. Talked him up a great bit, so hopefully thats a good sign of things to come for him this year.

LTI is a minimum of 6 weeks, not season ending
still reckon AFL would cast a dim view of a cynical move to effectively add an extra ssp this way by effectively picking up two ssps for the price of one. Assume they might have power of veto even if the club was thinking of doing it.

besudes it would mean eyre would have to wait for another LTI before he could rejoin the list. So he might miss the whole yea4 anyway despite a four week injury

Weird thing is that Eyre never missed a game playing for essendon. Played every VFL game in 2021/2022. Its more since last pre-season he started having issues in recent years.
Is it a problem, or is it just bad luck?
Jen, I have now turned and think we will list him. But this is only based on what you track watchers say. In all honesty though, we forget that this is quite shattering for the poor guy and I hope his luck changes

Jen, I have now turned and think we will list him. But this is only based on what you track watchers say. In all honesty though, we forget that this is quite shattering for the poor guy and I hope his luck changes
Its not just us. Many media had the same view as those of us who had watched him tbh, so its not from no evidence.
He deserves his chance, so I hope we list him. But in the end, we wait to see what the club decides.

He could have actually been referring to your claim that you had lost your rose coloured glasses. ;) There was some ambiguity there.
I was indeed referring to the rose coloured glasses

Evening all- I have enjoyed reading the supposition around who and how many SSP players we may select.

I believe that the club will list Eyre and Teakle and Sullivan now.

Teakle offers a very large, AFL-ready sized body as a crash-and-bash ruckman/forward.
Provided we have no injuries to Cox or Cameron, Teakle may be trialled as a full back or centre half back at VFL level.

Whilst I think Steene will have the longer AFL career, he is not yet ready for AFL action- another 12 months at VFL will allow him to develop the craft and the size to be competitive at the top level.

We have Dean and Frampton as tall backs depth and I believe that the club will still take Eyre who should be back playing by Round 10 or so at the latest.

Sullivan is ahead of Bytel I would imagine as he offers goal-kicking capability as well as inside mid grunt.

With each week that passes, McInnes firms as the McStay replacement (albeit a different style). Johnson has not put a foot wrong and Kreuger has been very prominent of late on the track- If the injury demons that have beset him in the past can be put to bed, he could yet prove a key player in the AFL mix.

I expect the improvement in 2024 to come from: McCreery, Schultz, Quaynor, McInnes and Macrae- would not be surprised if Frampton had a very good year as well.

In terms of the VFL: Charlie Dean, De Mattea, Jath, Begg and Steene will be my focus.

Is anyone aware if the Magpies can take anyone who has been training with another club for a SSP spot or can we list people, like, say, Will Kelly or Trey Ruscoe??
Great to have you onboard mate. Enjoyed reading your posts on Nicks Collingwood page

Yeah, given Sullivan presents as an inside-mid/half forward; while Bytel seems more of an inside-mid/wing makes choosing both more realistic.

Is Bytel a realistic option for a wing spot at senior level? Lacks pace for the role imho. A player like Sidey who also lacks a bit of pace gets away with it because of everything else he brings to the table. Bytel though?

eyre has shown he can run a fast 2km and 20m and he is obviously good at training. He has shown that he can kick well in drills. I wonder if can play afl standard football. he hasn't shown that. his hamstrings weakness was mentioned in his draft profile 4 years ago. evidently it's still a problem. is it going to be ongoing? Because he was drafted through the NGA, he didnt play elite schoolboy footy. covid obviously hasnt helped his development. He was gangly and you wouldnt expect anything much from him in his early years...and that's been true so far... do you list him for a role as a tall back when you have a brittle dean and a brittle murphy already on the list?

Weird thing is that Eyre never missed a game playing for essendon. Played every VFL game in 2021/2022. Its more since last pre-season he started having issues in recent years.

His most recent injury occurred in a strange lunge/dive for the footy. Bit like Moore and Treloar getting shoved while kicking when they got theirs. Strong element of bad luck in that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’d rather we let him rehab part-time with our VFL facilities and hope it works out, and then hope he’s available at the MSD (which we would then likely need to offer an 18 month contract), than just recruit him on a 1 year deal, let him rehab full time in the best facilities available with one of the best strength and conditioning departments in the league and then make another call on him at the end of the year? All to save a spot in the list for 3 months?

Do you not understand how psychotic that sounds?

Do you really think they’d deny him access to the full suite of strength and conditioning options if he was only retained on the VFL list?

Do you really think they’d deny him access to the full suite of strength and conditioning options if he was only retained on the VFL list?
Even if he did have “access” as a VFL player he trains part time and has to work a full time job. VFL training is typically after hours to accommodate those working full time jobs, which means the full suite of AFL strength and conditioning guys are unlikely to be working during VFL training.

Arguing that he’d have the same access to our strength and conditioning options as a senior listed player under those circumstances is nonsensical.

I think it's changed and they've got to be put on an inactive list to be replaced. No idea about how it differs to the old LTI list.
As far as I could see when I checked the other day it’s still 6+ weeks.

Even if he did have “access” as a VFL player he trains part time and has to work a full time job. VFL training is typically after hours to accommodate those working full time jobs, which means the full suite of AFL strength and conditioning guys are unlikely to be working during VFL training.

Arguing that he’d have the same access to our strength and conditioning options as a senior listed player under those circumstances is nonsensical.

What does he do for work? What’s nonsensical is to suggest that there wouldn’t be workarounds, even if he does work, something I doubt will be too strong a consideration for a period post surgery anyway.

I think it's changed and they've got to be put on an inactive list to be replaced. No idea about how it differs to the old LTI list.

Changed just before last years MSD. Only changed the definition of the inactive period from 6 weeks to 6 matches though. Not sure if that’s anymore than windrow dressing.

Is that true?

I'm just looking at his VFL stats and in 2022 he played every game, but only played 8 in 2021. In round 3 something happened where he missed 6 games, then in Round 15 something happened where he missed the rest of the season.
And just as i was googling i looked at his draft profile and it mentioned him struggling with hamstring issues.

That and going back to around this time last year....

Unfortunately I don't think bad luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back