Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that true?

I'm just looking at his VFL stats and in 2022 he played every game, but only played 8 in 2021. In round 3 something happened where he missed 6 games, then in Round 15 something happened where he missed the rest of the season.
And just as i was googling i looked at his draft profile and it mentioned him struggling with hamstring issues.
I think you might be overestimating how many games me missed in 2021. Didn't teams only play 10 or so games that year.

Is that true?

I'm just looking at his VFL stats and in 2022 he played every game, but only played 8 in 2021. In round 3 something happened where he missed 6 games, then in Round 15 something happened where he missed the rest of the season.
And just as i was googling i looked at his draft profile and it mentioned him struggling with hamstring issues.

That and going back to around this time last year....

Unfortunately I don't think bad luck.

My bad. With covid disruptions, Essendon only played 9 games in 2021. He played. 7 of them
So he has missed 2 games in two seasons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah he seems to struggle to play with any real presence given his size. also appears to run past contests instead of actually applying any physical pressure.

IMV:
_Sullivan as the inside, see ball/ get ball, depth option
_Eyre as the young developing & injury challenged tall KPD
Yeah big boy but they wanted him for a key tall option, just doesn't have presence.

Is that true?

That and going back to around this time last year....

Unfortunately I don't think bad luck.

Surely we are not going to pick him now.

What does he do for work? What’s nonsensical is to suggest that there wouldn’t be workarounds, even if he does work, something I doubt will be too strong a consideration for a period post surgery anyway.
I’m not going to go in circles with you on this Jack. If you’re too stubborn to admit a part time footballer isn’t going to get the same level of rehab treatment as one who’s in at the club on a full time basis, so be it.

LTI is a minimum of 6 weeks, not season ending.
I’m not so sure the 6 week rule is still a thing. It’s not clear with the Kreuger situation of 2022, IMO, but:

A club is eligible to select a Rookie Player during the SSP or MSRD as follows:

• If a club has a rookie list spot available
  • If a player suffers a year-ending injury or retires, the player can be placed on the Inactive List and be replaced by an SSP or Mid-Season Draft Rookie Player.

This is from the last CBA. Existing from 2017-2022.

18592ddca4614b51eb9b7c0dae9b1ec2.jpg

313ed6f8207ed12a5044ada2cfd97305.jpg

I’m not going to go in circles with you on this Jack. If you’re too stubborn to admit a part time footballer isn’t going to get the same level of rehab treatment as one who’s in at the club on a full time basis, so be it.

As usual, irony completely lost on you.

The is is a tweak they did in 2020.

b7cdff39c329580ac6f1fddfc0a5bf0b.jpg

9fb674d7ff3d0662b1fdb5587ae6bc37.jpg

That was the 2023 tweak I’m pretty sure. The rules the afl published in Feb ‘23 still listed 6 weeks. Change was triggered by the number of clubs racing to retire a player prior to the MSD.

For the love of God I hope the club name the winning SSP candidates tomorrow so we can be put out of our misery.
Then what will we crap on about

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That’s fair enough as you’ve only seen him once, but those of us that have seen him over 20 sessions since preseason started might have a different perspective, and it’s not just because he is tall. Has the most potential out of anyone. He can mark. Kicking is elite. Good runner for his height. With a left foot that such a weapon. He has been the most impressive. Just a real need. A shame his injury.

But multiple media didn’t go with him bring the leading contender for no reason. It has substance. He was basically a lock pre injury.

I agree. We aren’t having a top ten pick for a while and he has potential to play KPD for us - 150 games. Acquisition cost is negligible and salary will be modest for a couple of years.

A few months in the gym won’t harm him.

That was the 2023 tweak I’m pretty sure. The rules the afl published in Feb ‘23 still listed 6 weeks. Change was triggered by the number of clubs racing to retire a player prior to the MSD.
Yeah I think the 2023 tweak was referring to retiring players.

Is anyone able to post this article by Jon Ralph? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2940.jpeg
    IMG_2940.jpeg
    193.7 KB · Views: 142
As usual, irony completely lost on you.
If you say so Jack. I’ll take the like from a bloke who’s actually qualified over your baseless opinions 👍🏻

Is anyone able to post this article by Jon Ralph? Thanks
As Jordan De Goey’s violent “don’t-argue” jolted John Noble onto his backside, premiership coach Craig McRae cheered and clapped his approval.
For De Goey it was a perfect statement of intent about his hunger for back-to-back flags.

Chiselled and in peak shape after the best pre-season of his career, De Goey bounced around in Collingwood’s three-hour training session and match simulation doing as he pleased.

De Goey and Nick Daicos got leather-poisoning in the three stanzas of match simulation and Goey’s team won the Grand Final of a territory-based drill conducted all summer involving teams moving the ball with only handball from end to end.

As the players milled around in celebration as De Goey’s team took down the Nick Daicos side, coach Brendon Bolton jokingly awarded De Goey the Norm Smith Medal for his performance.

And yet if Bolton was having a laugh with his star midfielder, De Goey’s peak fitness and Nick Daicos permanent move into the midfield does beg one important question.

Just how good will Collingwood be if De Goey puts together a full season playing alongside footy’s best and most creative player in Daicos?

Because a Collingwood side with barely an injury and with a host of players running personal bests will already take a heck of a lot of stopping this season without De Goey going to the next level.

COLLINGWOOD MATCH SIMULATION

Craig McRae is a killjoy.

As the Pies’ ‘probables’ easily beat a ‘possibles’ team ahead of next Wednesday’s official intra-club, it was apparent he does not want a repeat of the Grand Final’s defining play.

In that contest it was a Scott Pendlebury up-and-under that saw Daicos rove the pack at half forward then fire a no-look handball to De Goey from mid-air for the go-ahead goal.

Yet on Friday McRae continually preached a game-plan involving lightning handball through the corridor that avoided one-on-one contests at half forward at almost any cost.

That game plan will allow the vision, run and overlap of Daicos and De Goey to come to the fore - and minimise the loss of power forward Dan McStay.

De Goey doesn’t need help winning the football but with Daicos as his willing accomplice the pair will create havoc if given time and space.

McRae’s urgent message to Jamie Elliott mid-match was to use the extra numbers through the midfield instead of kick t

Elliot, Daicos and De Goey combined in a quickfire exchange of handballs despite opposition pressure and the result was a 25 metre laces-out pass from half forward to Mihocek.

Try stopping that one as an opposing full back.

There will be times where elite rivals will use extreme pressure to stop those bursts but when Collingwood gets hold of middling rivals they will be a sight to behold.

McStay (ACL tear) is one of the few Pies sidelined with Josh Daicos completing some match sim and drills but also getting work on his lower leg in the calf/achilles region as he recovers from nerve and muscle pain.

Steele Sidebottom (illness) was absent and Nathan Murphy did run-throughs instead of match simulation but otherwise the Pies are a picture of health with Brody Mihocek (calf), Brayden Maynard (shoulder) and Jakob Ryan (leg bone bruising) all back in full training.

COMPETITION FOR SPOTS

In the probables v possibles game midfielder Fin Macrae again racked up plenty of football as ruck-tall Nathan Kreuger hauled in a pair of strong early marks.

Yet the list’s fitness means the likes of Kreuger, Macrae and Noble might have to turf out premiership players to win early-season spots.

Mid-sized forward Reef McInnes started alongside Mihocek in the black ‘probables’ team, while Noble played back in the ‘probables’ team.

With Isaac Quaynor and Brayden Maynard locks as medium-sized defenders he might have to eclipse Will Hoskin-Elliott to rebound from his pre-finals dropping.

Patrick Lipinski racked up countless possessions in the probables team and isn’t going anywhere despite some external question marks about his place in the Grand Final team after a shaky finals series until the Lions clash.

While there is a spot to fill after Taylor Adams and Jack Ginnivan’s departure Lachie Schultz has had an excellent no-fuss summer and McRae was again keen to see Beau McCreery getting centre-square minutes in the match sim portion of training.

So while Macrae, Jakob Ryan, Ed Allan, Kreuger, defender Charlie Dean and ruck Aiden Begg will all be eyeing early-season chances it is hard to see many changes to the Grand Final side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back