Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope they do more training elsewhere...they certainly can't afford to be doing less. They didn't seem to do much last week either. šŸ„“
Yeah, it felt less intense too. Felt less general drills they do too.
Maybe they let it easier given the vfl only played 3 days ago too.

Yeah, it felt less intense too. Felt less general drills they do too.
Maybe they let it easier given the vfl only played 3 days ago too.
So we're training less to accommodate the bloke's who won't be playing on Friday?? I hope not. Just send those blokes in earlier so our guys can have a proper training session..

So we're training less to accommodate the bloke's who won't be playing on Friday?? I hope not. Just send those blokes in earlier so our guys can have a proper training session..
No, I don't think so. Just saying its not ideal
But there is no discrimination between the two, they are all afl players. They are all "Our" players.

Smit was the only one that seemed to be managed, maybe a bit more.

No, I don't think so. Just saying its not ideal
But there is no discrimination between the two, they are all afl players. They are all "Our" players.

Smit was the only one that seemed to be managed, maybe a bit more.
But surely the AFL team's need for training takes precedence over whenever the VFL game was.

If those players who played on Sunday can't train for as long or as intense because they played on Sunday, then they can go in a bit earlier, or do something else, whilst those who are playing on Friday do the necessary training to be primed for their match on Friday night.

It's not about discrimination. The AFL side playing on Friday night shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because the VFL side played on Sunday. Surely.

Guess I was hoping to hear they had a really strong session, looked quick, fired up, lots of pressure, pumped up etc etc etc šŸ„“

But surely the AFL team's need for training takes precedence over whenever the VFL game was.

If those players who played on Sunday can't train for as long or as intense because they played on Sunday, then they can go in a bit earlier, or do something else, whilst those who are playing on Friday do the necessary training to be primed for their match on Friday night.

It's not about discrimination. The AFL side playing on Friday night shouldn't be put at a disadvantage because the VFL side played on Sunday. Surely.

Guess I was hoping to hear they had a really strong session, looked quick, fired up, lots of pressure, pumped up etc etc etc šŸ„“
Not saying it was the reason. They all were still out there. I'd say those that played vfl trained harder than those that didn't. Maybe they trained less because this session was for the fans. That usually happens in open sessions, they dont seem to do as much.

Maybe it was a normal session for them, but seemed less to me. Maybe its the time of year. Its hard to say.

Not saying it was the reason. They all were still out there. I'd say those that played vfl trained harder than those that didn't. Maybe they trained less because this session was for the fans. That usually happens in open sessions, they dont seem to do as much.

Maybe it was a normal session for them, but seemed less to me. Maybe its the time of year. Its hard to say.
None of that fills me with any confidence about this week šŸ˜©

I hope they are doing more stuff away from the fans to prepare.

None of that fills me with any confidence about this week šŸ˜©

I hope they are doing more stuff away from the fans to prepare.
Lets hope. We'll find out one way or another come friday

Unless they think less = more? lol

I wouldn't make too many judgements based just on Jen's guesses to be honest (as she has pointed out) - I'm sure the fitness staff know what they are doing.

Yeah Iā€™m guessing in all form. Iā€™ve really no idea tbh
Truth will be in the pudding soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't make too many judgements based just on Jen's guesses to be honest (as she has pointed out) - I'm sure the fitness staff know what they are doing.

Wade has been exceptional in designing and managing our training program since 2022. Even that strange flat phase we went through towards the end of last season, which then had us ripe for the finals. I seem to recall us flying on GF day.:)

If we look poor ATM, I wouldn't be looking to question Wade. Its much more likely because of the cumulative and ongoing impact of injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wade has been exceptional in designing and managing our training program since 2022. Even that strange flat phase we went through towards the end of last season, which then had us ripe for the finals. I seem to recall us flying on GF day.:)

If we look poor ATM, I wouldn't be looking to question Wade. Its much more likely because of the cumulative and ongoing impact of injuries.
I wasn't questioning Wade. Or Jen. Or anyone.

I was just hoping to hear the boys looked really pumped up today at training..intensity was high..they look ready to make a statement.. slick ball movement.. yadda yadda

Hopefully they're just keeping it all under wraps until Friday night šŸ¤ž

I know this is a bit of an ask, and to anyone that it doesn't suit, feel free to ignore the request, but I would like it if posters just put up their contributions rather than links to the various commercial social media. I don't use facebook or twitter or any others, and so when a post is nothing more than a link to one of these, I am really none the wiser as to your contribution. As I don't look at pictures, I don't care if you are putting links to these up, but if you have something to say, I would like to read it.
I don't mean to insult anyone, or create work. Just provide awareness that if you are posting social media links and nothing else, your message is not getting through to at least one subscriber here.

I know this is a bit of an ask, and to anyone that it doesn't suit, feel free to ignore the request, but I would like it if posters just put up their contributions rather than links to the various commercial social media. I don't use facebook or twitter or any others, and so when a post is nothing more than a link to one of these, I am really none the wiser as to your contribution. As I don't look at pictures, I don't care if you are putting links to these up, but if you have something to say, I would like to read it.
I don't mean to insult anyone, or create work. Just provide awareness that if you are posting social media links and nothing else, your message is not getting through to at least one subscriber here.
I get your point.
It actually frustrates me when you quote a poster about a player and thereā€™s no name listed, and youā€™re not sure who itā€™s about.

I actually like the twitter and Insta snippets, but not links.
Especially given I donā€™t do twitter at all.

I discovered with the Insta ones if you click on the link and nothing happens, (for some reason some work and others donā€™t) just hover over it and it gives you a description of the content.
Thatā€™s usually enough for me šŸ‘šŸ»

I get your point.
It actually frustrates me when you quote a poster about a player and thereā€™s no name listed, and youā€™re not sure who itā€™s about.

I actually like the twitter and Insta snippets, but not links.
Especially given I donā€™t do twitter at all.
Nothing more annoying than a media source (any) posting a link to a video with only a generic and uninformative title or byline ("Breaking News on Star Player") , and then the video contains nothing more than a talking head or a single slide with a few words of text or commentary. JUST POST THE TEXT!
E.g. "Player X has done a hammy and will miss 3 weeks" - why do I have to download and view a video just to hear that?

Nothing more annoying than a media source (any) posting a link to a video with only a generic and uninformative title or byline ("Breaking News on Star Player") , and then the video contains nothing more than a talking head or a single slide with a few words of text or commentary. JUST POST THE TEXT!
E.g. "Player X has done a hammy and will miss 3 weeks" - why do I have to download and view a video just to hear that?
You need both - otherwise people will be requesting a ā€œsourceā€.

This has landed on Hotrods site.

Spears of sunlight flirted with the light grey clouds this morning as hordes bedecked in their stripes of polarity thronging the fence line at the AIA this morning awaited the playersā€™ arrival. During the session blue sky gradually gained ascendancy and some much-appreciated warmth was a balm for chilly patrons.

The notable absentees were McCreery and Checkers but Howe went inside nursing a tight hammy. He took part in the warm-up but walked to rehab before summoning a physio who worked extensively on his lower back and hip area. Thereafter he sought the sanctuary of the pavilion. Eyre who suffered concussion was also unsighted at main training.

Ryan and Smit both undertook running, the former then graduated to some agility work. The latter is a huge unit who moves impressively. Some summers in the gym may turn him into a monster.

Will Parker completed some of the early drills and then moved to rehab where he ran for an extended period. He looks close to transitioning back into match play.

IQ seemed to be moving quite gingerly early despite completing the mini hurdles, high knee lifts and cone work. He spent the initial part of training proper in rehab before going inside for ten minutes. Thereafter he returned to the field and completed everything, including the match simulation.

Crisp was first on and he partook of his customary warm-up based on agility before the bulk of his teammates quickly provided company for him.

They limbered up with their usual desultory kicking to peers with a splinter group focussing on ground ball retrieval; clearly our work below our knees requires some attention.

Following this there was a succession of drills which were tailored to specific skills. Jordan Roughead and Scott Selwood spoke on the sound system to the gathering explaining what was next on the menu and how the activities were germane to certain skills and strategies. They even suggested that the players attired in white tops during the main match simulation were instructed to play the way the Cats do.

There was a round of stoppage drills in which players were divided into their line groups. For example, Cameron worked with those donning black tops at that juncture: Crisp, Lippa, Pendles, Crisp and Josh. The players would have to weave their way around teammates and handball cleanly to someone in the chain.

Cox worked with Harry, Allan, Sullivan and Macrae who were attired in white during this drill and likewise they had to shark the ball, burst clear and pass the ball to someone in space.

Following all the drills there was a general ball movement session and a mini match simulation prior to the main match play which featured regular umpires decked out in their official gear.

Regular track-watchers found it hard dealing with all the wardrobe changes today as players kept swapping between black and white tops and at one point eighty percent of them would have been wearing foreign numbers. It was a veritable chameleons convention as onlookers felt dizzy keeping up with proceedings. Clearly what someone wore today was random and players in the final match sim were evenly spread in terms of likely AFL and VFL selection, so it was a fruitless exercise tyring to be an amateur Sherlock Holmes.

Some random observation of player:

McStay ā€“ again looked very purposeful, fit and spry and his imminent McPlay status is a testament to the diligence and work ethic he has shown in his preparation to return to the action.

Reef ā€“ wouldnā€™t mind him having a run in the midfield, low tank notwithstanding as he looks lightning quick in the stoppage drills with his serpentine runs through congestion.

WHE ā€“ looked likely at full forward with his stellar overhead marking and leading. Wore #17 in black as he made Dean work hard to keep up with him. No need for him to wear his invisibility cloak with everyone else travelling in cognito.

Cameron ā€“ moved freely dispelling doubts about his fitness, though he may be sore if he has to wear some more blows in the ribs region.

Cox ā€“ his mobility has improved appreciably during the past few weeks. He resembled a cripple not so long ago but today he completed everything and rucked during the match simulation.

Elliott ā€“ he looked ready at last weekā€™s training and in the corresponding session today he was moving with alacrity, snapping goals and covering a lot of ground. He often rebounds well from an extended stint on the sidelines as evidenced by his six goal haul against the Crows a few years ago after a fair layoff with a broken foot.

Tew ā€“ impresses every time he takes to the field with his fluent movement, evasive talents and precise kicking. He looks one sure bet among the younger players.

Nick ā€“ he showed the adoring fans that heā€™s indeed human as he fumbled two successive handball receives and then proceeded to spray his kick a la Bytel.

Moore ā€“ took a couple of grabs on Kreuger proving that he has an alternative to spoiling, though he did effect a number of these to prevent goals. There have been rumours of leg injuries but in the sprinting sessions he can overtake smaller players even when conceding them a start. His indifferent form remains a bit of a mystery.ā€™

Hill ā€“ also some suggestion that he was carrying something but Bobby ran at top speed at times which was electrifying and he wove his way through congestion with peerless flexibility.

Noble ā€“ despite endless gear changes he was unmissable wearing a back to front cap and running with the speed and determination he is renowned for. We need his run against a Cats team which can be a bit cumbersome with its preference for fielding height.

Markov ā€“ he started the session in rehab but completed the rest of the session often running with celerity and demonstrating neat skills. Heā€™s been in a bit of a form depression but trained with purpose and determination.

Pendles the evergreen warrior wearing his big freeze beanie to offset the cold conditions looked cherry ripe after getting back into the swing of things following the arm injury. He still a looks a mainstay of our midfield during match play which is worrying, given the lack of younger options screaming the joint down.

The fans appeared to enjoy themselves as they waited patiently for the autograph signing and picture posing aftermath. There was a soundtrack of early noughties music to entertain during the regular rehydration hiatus, while the mascot circulated among the masses and the patrons were provided with some handouts to ensure they didnā€™t go home empty-handed. Would GWS attract this crowd to a finals session let alone a cold early morning training run?

ā€˜
TJā€™s weakness is on game day. Good trainer and liked. Not the case for every player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 training updates.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back