List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not in the top 10 or 12 picks. You have got to pick who you believe is the best player in my opinion.
Positional needs is the kinda thinking that led Brisbane to select Billy Longer at pick 8 in 2011 ahead of a talented young mid forward called Toby Greene.
“Oh we needed a ruckman” said the lions at the time.

Pick the player David Walls believes will have the best AFL career at whatever pick we have. We won’t go too far wrong with that approach.

"Best available" is such a rigid and simplistic term. I think needs are always considered within reason. If you get to pick 10, and you have players left on your board that you rate at #5 and #6, but the #6 fits the list needs much better (e.g. ruckman versus small forward), then you go with #6 every day of the week. If your board has #1 and #8 as the two highest left, then obviously take the #1.

What type of player is he and why is he only just starting g to play colts?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ryan Bizzell is an Indigenous tall forward. Very clean in the air and at ground level. A little bit like Josh Draper when he was playing colts for Peel but Draper was a little taller then and has grown since.

I guess Bizzell has been injured.

I know Fremantle supporters are on to him. I wonder if other clubs are?

Certainly a very good rookie chance or late draft even.

Last edited:
Not in the top 10 or 12 picks. You have got to pick who you believe is the best player in my opinion.
Positional needs is the kinda thinking that led Brisbane to select Billy Longer at pick 8 in 2011 ahead of a talented young mid forward called Toby Greene.
“Oh we needed a ruckman” said the lions at the time.

Pick the player David Walls believes will have the best AFL career at whatever pick we have. We won’t go too far wrong with that approach.
This is just wrong. Just pick an outlier case if you can't see it. We have Jackson and Darcy on long term deals, pretend the best available is a gun ruck prospect - absolutely bonkers to take him without trading one of the other two. Even that might be a terrible decision if the ruck doesn't come on.

Can apply the exact same logic to KPFs and KPDs for us right now.

I certainly hope Walls can think on his feet more than "best available" because otherwise he is out of his depth.

I'm getting seriously comfortable with the idea of holding onto our picks.

My main non-negotiable is Joe Berry, he suits our system perfectly. I don't care which pick it's with but he needs to be in Purple.

With the other two first rounders there's some great options:
Tobie Travaglia is probably my flavour of the month. Has spent most of his juniors as a wing due to his enormous aerobic capacity, shined when moved to defence, Vic Country Captain. Could replace Ryan in a few years, allow Chapman to move to the wing, or play the wing himself.
Xavier Lindsay could be that outside polish we need, can also play half back. Gippsland Captain, also gives me huge Walls vibes.
Murphy Reid might make it through to our first, could be a really good get with his polish and goal sense. Vic Metro, but so was Brayshaw so depends on his character.
Bo Allan depends on if we see him as a half back or an inside midfielder. As a half back, he could be another Ryan replacement down the line, but as a midfielder I'm not sure what he brings us that Johnson and Erasmus don't. Also seems a bit too obvious for us to pick someone from Peel.
Tom Gross another goal kicking mid, seems to fit our MO of picking contest over silk.
Christian Moraes slipping so far in Twomeys rankings could present huge value for us. Imagine nabbing him with St Kildas second rounder.

You also never know what another club may offer on the night if a talent they like slips.

Current best-case scenario:
First rounder #1: Reid / Travaglia
First rounder #2: Travaglia / Berry
First rounder #3: Berry / Lindsay
Second rounder: Moraes / Gross

You know what, I didn't think of it from that perspective. If we are truly in the window then we are about to have some very boring drafts coming up (which is a good problem to have). I'm worried about moving Chappy to the midfield because of his soft tissue injuries but we will need to replacing his silkiness if he does move. Are there any that fit that mould in this draft? I suppose we could play a mid in his role to develop them like Sheezel.

I've said a few times across the threads that half back is a need, regardless of if we move Chapman or not. I'd be pretty worried if Clark went down with an injury, given how much of our ball movement is created off half back. It won't happen this year now, but depending on what we do trade/draft wise this offseason then I think Cooper Simpson in that role is a possibility - as more of a Sheezel type situation to fast track his development, not a permanent move.

But draft prospect wise, Tobie Travaglia would be the obvious one I suppose. Luke Trainor is more that taller Chapman like prospect, but I do think he settles more in a third tall role like Luke Ryan.

In terms of more the Jordan Clark rebounding half backs, Xavier Lindsay is the one who you'd develop off half back for the first few years then put into the midfield mix. Harrison Oliver is maybe as close a prospect to Clark as there is in the draft with his ball use and rebounding, I'd happily look at him in that late first/early second mix.

Jaxon Artemis is the one that I'd be surprised if we weren't seriously looking at, same goes for West Coast. WA's MVP from the Champs, whether it's off half back or on a wing. Looks to take the game on with both his run and kicking. I think he has a lot of scope, and seems to only be in the mid to late draft range. After Bo Allan, I have him in the mix as the next best WA prospect.

Looking like a fantastic draft. Been some talk of even trading up with our picks, Joe Brierty mentioned on radio yesterday. Would make sense with us not expecting to have that many list spots too. I don't think trading up should be too expensive this year as all the talk is how even the draft is and teams wanting to split their picks and trade back.

We should at least entertain this scenario in case it happens. These are the players I believe we'd be interested in if we trade up:

Finn O'Sullivan - Terrible year with injuries for him and underdone his 2 champs games. But undeniably has all the traits to become a genuine star. Rolls Royce with an elite side step and elite overhead for his size.
Sam Lalor - Just came back from injury and expect him to rise up to a top 5 pick. Absolute beast in the contest forward and in the midfield. Has serious Rayner/Dusty/Petracca traits and would slot into our team in the forward line to start his career. Classy user too, love watching him play.
Murphy Reid - Could be there with our first pick anyway. Metro boy so not sure on his willingness to come to WA. But if available he is classy and creative, and damaging forward of centre.

On top of these I absolutely love Joe Berry and Tobie Travaglia for us too, like many people have already pointed out. Lindsay another good option + I like Bo Allen.

If we trade up and come away with Finn/Lalor + Berry I would be happy
If we stay still and come away with something like Lindsay/Bo Allen + Berry + Travaglia I would also be happy. Just a fantastic position to be in as a club. Especially with everyone wanting our picks. Will be interesting how many list spots we have come draft time as that is important.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could it be shaping up as a Vic Country raid? Whether by design or just the way the cards fall.

Seems like everyone is keen on Travaglia, Berry, Lindsay. Then throw in Lalor/Langford as an alternative if we think they can be that powerhouse brute in the middle. We have Johnson and Erasmus, but if Walls thinks Lalor can be a DeGoey/Petracca type, then he would be hard to ignore. Especially if we are not 100% sure on Warner.

It also means Kako and Champion are gone.

Typical vicbias, gifting the bombers a free 1st round pick.
What about if the AFL bring in the rule that an NGA player who is bid on van only be matched by a pick in the same round?
Scenario:
2nd round wc pick before us.
We pick Champion.
wc no longer own a 2nd round pick, but they really want him.
wc offer Freo next year's first & 2nd round picks for our first round pick next year.
Death ride heaven when we hold the evils' 1st next year :)

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam Lalor - Just came back from injury and expect him to rise up to a top 5 pick. Absolute beast in the contest forward and in the midfield. Has serious Rayner/Dusty/Petracca traits and would slot into our team in the forward line to start his career. Classy user too, love watching him play.

If we trade up and come away with Finn/Lalor + Berry I would be happy

Just on the Lalor part of your post. Twomey has him at 8. Rookieme at 5. We might not even have to trade up if Collingwood lose to Hawthorn and end up giving us pick 6. Especially if Adelaide target Draper.

Just on the Lalor part of your post. Twomey has him at 8. Rookieme at 5. We might not even have to trade up if Collingwood lose to Hawthorn and end up giving us pick 6. Especially if Adelaide target Draper.
That would be my dream draft, Lalor + Berry + Travaglia. He's probably my favourite player in the draft.

But I just get the feeling he will end up higher given he only just got back from injury and might be hard to place, but I hope I am wrong. Just watching him in the few games hes played with no match fitness, he has so much star quality. Can see some teams having him 1 on their board, especially if he finishes the season strong

Are there any DeGoey/Petracca types in the draft?

Probably not, or they'd likely be going #1.

But Cooper Hynes is an interesting one for us in the late first round range. 190cm forward/mid, Vic Country boy. Everything he does is at 100%, there's a bit of Josh Treacy in the way he attacks the ball and the opposition - both forward and in the middle. Shapes as a Zurhaar like player I think, but with that ability to be thrown into the middle and have an instant impact.

I've said a few times across the threads that half back is a need, regardless of if we move Chapman or not. I'd be pretty worried if Clark went down with an injury, given how much of our ball movement is created off half back. It won't happen this year now, but depending on what we do trade/draft wise this offseason then I think Cooper Simpson in that role is a possibility - as more of a Sheezel type situation to fast track his development, not a permanent move.

But draft prospect wise, Tobie Travaglia would be the obvious one I suppose. Luke Trainor is more that taller Chapman like prospect, but I do think he settles more in a third tall role like Luke Ryan.

In terms of more the Jordan Clark rebounding half backs, Xavier Lindsay is the one who you'd develop off half back for the first few years then put into the midfield mix. Harrison Oliver is maybe as close a prospect to Clark as there is in the draft with his ball use and rebounding, I'd happily look at him in that late first/early second mix.

Jaxon Artemis is the one that I'd be surprised if we weren't seriously looking at, same goes for West Coast. WA's MVP from the Champs, whether it's off half back or on a wing. Looks to take the game on with both his run and kicking. I think he has a lot of scope, and seems to only be in the mid to late draft range. After Bo Allan, I have him in the mix as the next best WA prospect.
I think your suggestion on developing Simpson is spot on.

Assuming we are taking our 4 beautiful picks to the draft, there are a couple of thoughts I have.

• Brodie's position on our list is List Clogger and we should trade him with salary paid by us to free up the list spot. He won't play ahead of Fyfe, Johnson or Erasmus (and if Warner comes his career dies a little sooner). AFL can be a harsh career. It's not personal.
  • I don't think we need forwards. That's not to say we can't improve on our options, but our current options are good enough. Having said that, Berry would be a good addition and I hope we grab him. Kako and Champion are now likely to not be possible.
  • our improvement can be better found in improving our transition. This draft seems rich with players who can bring that. Cleaner disposal, from half-back, our outside leaning mids, and our half forwards.
  • we could use a developing forward/ruck. I like Knobel and if he can come in for Jackson if required, all good. But my understanding is he is more cover for Darcy. Is Odin our saviour or do we keep an eye on the draft: Gerreyn?

If we did want to move up the draft north would great option. Can’t see them taking another mid?
I think they should target those KP twins.
And give us the pick to grab Lalor

crazy how different they are

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back