List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Ben Ainsworth decided to sign with Suns closing the talk of Essendon.Did the change in NGA rule prompted essendon to rethink as Kako may be a walk in the 22 and impact straight away and why wasting cap. As Berry and Kako similarly projected we better not pursue Bolton?
And some one posted yesterday about Wallsy was particular on Simpson before the draft it self. That means we may overlook some players in first round who plays similar to Simpson? Any one know who are the players similar to Simpson in this draft in top 20?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Simpson for me is a 180cm small midfielder / forward with pace and good skills who can play outside / in. I suppose at AFL level he is functionally similar to the following likely first rounders:
  • Joe Berry (180cm), although Berry is more a forward / midfielder and I think we will find that Berry is an even faster runner, whilst Simpson has a longer kick.
  • Murphy Reid is also a similar height (180cm) and similar position as Simpson, skills maybe slightly better but less pace.
  • Xavier Lindsay is similar height (183cm) but is more outside, skills are probably better but again less pace. Probably suited to half back at AFL level so you could argue position is not the same (although as Chris25 has argued, maybe they should be bringing Simpson up on the half back flank?).
  • Taj Hotton (182cm) also a midfielder / forward who plays off the half forward flank with a bit of speed, I like Cooper's disposal better but they play a similar role.
  • Christian Moraes (183cm) has a similar function (midfielder / forward), is built better that Simpson, has same kind of pace and agility but IMO does not have the kicking skills of him or any of the other listed above. Moraes also takes some good marks and plays above his height.
The thing is - there are some likely really good players amongst that list, and can you ever have enough speedy players with good kicks in a team like Freo?

Simpson for me is a 180cm small midfielder / forward with pace and good skills who can play outside / in. I suppose at AFL level he is functionally similar to the following likely first rounders:
  • Joe Berry (180cm), although Berry is more a forward / midfielder and I think we will find that Berry is an even faster runner, whilst Simpson has a longer kick.
  • Murphy Reid is also a similar height (180cm) and similar position as Simpson, skills maybe slightly better but less pace.
  • Xavier Lindsay is similar height (183cm) but is more outside, skills are probably better but again less pace. Probably suited to half back at AFL level so you could argue position is not the same (although as Chris25 has argued, maybe they should be bringing Simpson up on the half back flank?).
  • Taj Hotton (182cm) also a midfielder / forward who plays off the half forward flank with a bit of speed, I like Cooper's disposal better but they play a similar role.
  • Christian Moraes (183cm) has a similar function (midfielder / forward), is built better that Simpson, has same kind of pace and agility but IMO does not have the kicking skills of him or any of the other listed above. Moraes also takes some good marks and plays above his height.
The thing is - there are some likely really good players amongst that list, and can you ever have enough speedy players with good kicks in a team like Freo?
I agree with most of what you say but think both Lindsay and Reid are very quick. Lindsay's probably quicker than Simpson from what Ive seen he'll be right near the top of sprint testing.

I agree with most of what you say but think both Lindsay and Reid are very quick. Lindsay's probably quicker than Simpson from what Ive seen he'll be right near the top of sprint testing.
Didn’t Lindsay play some time on the wing during the champs, he’s the one I want, speed and a great kick on the wing.

Last edited:

Fair enough, I don't have actual data in this instance so I am only commenting by eye on the speed - basically they are all quickish. I think Lindsay and Reid appear quick more because of their footy brains rather than their physical attributes but we will see when the combine is on whether this is correct. Berry has that kind of Stephen Hill level efficiency in his running style and just by eye I think he would be the fastest.

In general 2024 draft forum someone called Wild Bill posted Twomeys last 2 years july rankings and comparison to actual draft. Only 1 miss in Top 10. The current one should be accurate

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

That is incredible early.

Can't help but think this year will be harder

I'm sorry, but you seem to be missing the point. People are saying you don't just blindly pick according to a rigid "best available". You combine that with needs. If two similarly ranked players are available, you go with the one that fills needs best. If one is clearly best but doesn't fill a need, or there are no specific needs, you go with best available.

I daresay many of those duds were indeed "best available" type picks. Guys like Schache, Pickett, McCartin, Boyd, Billings, etc. Jack Watts if you go back. The list goes on. For every dud pick you attribute to going with needs, there will be a dud pick that could have been avoided if going with needs.

Your stats don't prove anything. Dud picks are simply a problem with talent identification. Not a problem with best available v needs strategy.

Philips (best available) v McDonald (needs) is one example at North.

Essendon didn't need a small vanilla mid/HBF in McGrath. They went best available but they were crying out for big mids. If they went with needs they would have chosen Taranto or McCluggage. The latter especially would have been much better than McGrath.

Melbourne "reached" for Weideman. This is a double whammy for needs and best available. They thought he was best available KPF. If they had gone with McKay they'd be laughing.

Go way back and if Richmond had decided they needed KPF, they would have drafted Pavlich or Franklin instead of going with what they thought was best available with Fiora and Tambling.

Phillips was never ‘best available’ over McDonald. Just a bizarre selection all round. McDonald being there at pick 3 shouldn’t have even happened. I very much think Adelaide made a mistake going for local boy in Thilthorpe who’s also an inferior talent. It should’ve been JUH vs McDonald for pick 1 but the teams with picks 1 and 2 decided they wanted to be clever instead.

From memory McLuggage was the no.1 most of the year and somehow slipped behind McGrath and Taranto. It was bizarre to me at the time and tbh their AFL careers so far have proven me quite right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only watched one highlights reel of him but every kick was near perfect, exactly what we need!
I see a left footer taking three risky kicks into the middle and pulling it off with penetration and precision and I'm all aboard. Looks like a smaller Young

Last edited:
Phillips was never ‘best available’ over McDonald. Just a bizarre selection all round. McDonald being there at pick 3 shouldn’t have even happened. I very much think Adelaide made a mistake going for local boy in Thilthorpe who’s also an inferior talent. It should’ve been JUH vs McDonald for pick 1 but the teams with picks 1 and 2 decided they wanted to be clever instead.

From memory McLuggage was the no.1 most of the year and somehow slipped behind McGrath and Taranto. It was bizarre to me at the time and tbh their AFL careers so far have proven me quite right.
You are still clinging firmly to that Logan Mcdonald train Docker82 I see!

North made an error selecting Phillips but it certainly wasn’t Logan mcdonald they should have taken instead at pick 3.

At this point, conservatively, I’d have all of the following well ahead of McDonald from the 2020 draft based on exposed form at AFL level AND likely future impact on the game at the top level.

Gulden
Jamarra
Treacy
Max Holmes
Jack Ginnivan

Then there’s decent arguments to put the likes of Tom Powell, Heath Chapman, Ollie Henry in the same bracket as Logan.
Those guys wouldn’t be top 20 in the 2019 or 2021 drafts though.
2020 probably worst draft since 2003 really.

You are still clinging firmly to that Logan Mcdonald train Docker82 I see!

North made an error selecting Phillips but it certainly wasn’t Logan mcdonald they should have taken instead at pick 3.

At this point, conservatively, I’d have all of the following well ahead of McDonald from the 2020 draft based on exposed form at AFL level AND likely future impact on the game at the top level.

Gulden
Jamarra
Treacy
Max Holmes
Jack Ginnivan

Then there’s decent arguments to put the likes of Tom Powell, Heath Chapman, Ollie Henry in the same bracket as Logan.
Those guys wouldn’t be top 20 in the 2019 or 2021 drafts though.
2020 probably worst draft since 2003 really.

None of those other players were part of the discussion at the time. McDonald had come off perhaps the best WAFL season by an 18 year KPF in the modern era.

Saying North should’ve picked a bunch of rookies and academy players is a dumb argument. Even Holmes was seen as a massive reach on the day. So much hindsight if you say anything else. What players selected much later have done is irrelevant - good players are selected late in every draft.

The only decision was for Adelaide between bidding on JUH and McDonald. They bidded on JUH then went with the third of two options afterwards. North not picking McDonald was even more bizarre.

There’s zero hindsight with my post outside of the gap between McDonald and Phillips being even wider than I anticipated. It was painfully obvious right from day one and that for me puts it up with the worst selections of all time.

Last edited:
Adelaide went with the local because they were gun shy about spending the highest pick for a long time on someone who later leaves.
I understand Adelaide, but north is dumbfounding, McDonald would have been the perfect partner for Larkey in a two pronged attack. The fact they are still 4 years later looking for another tall forward just shows how bizarre that selection was.

Oh man, yeah, put me on the Lindsay train. Can see why the club and peeps on here love him. Beautiful kick and decision maker to go with toughness. Sign me up
Just watched a few of his highlights…

He looks “nice” but I will say even watching the game where he was supposed to be best on ground, he turned the ball over a lot

Just watched a few of his highlights…

He looks “nice” but I will say even watching the game where he was supposed to be best on ground, he turned the ball over a lot
Got to remember Noobs videos are all plays from a guy, everyone turns it over a bit. The kicking action is good and some of his vision and kicking into the middle was awesome. If you made a video of all of Youngs involvements it'd feel like he turned it over a bit as well.

I see a left footer taking three risky kicks into the middle and pulling it off with penetration and precision and I'm all aboard. Looks like a smaller Young

He does have Young lite levels of kicking ability, just not sure he has that inside game and toughness Young had at the same time. I rated Young #1 in his draft year, just looked elite at the time.

If you're actually after guys that finish with good skills, I still think Berry is that guy, he just kicks goals at all levels.

Last edited:
He does have Young lite levels of kicking ability, just not sure he has that inside game and toughness Young had at the same time. I rated Young #1 in his draft year, just looked elite at the time.

If you're actually after guys that finish with good skills, I still think Berry is that guy, he just kicks goals at all levels.
If we're chasing Linsay, I can only assume it is to play outside. We currently play Banfield and JoM on the wing.

I'm mad keen on Berry, we just have to make that one happen given our needs and our hand.

I rate Lindsay’s inside game. I think it’s where he ultimately spends a fair bit of time. He just happens to be even better outside right now.

His overall game is more Gulden like for me.

Yeah, I didn't see much evidence of the inside game from my one video but more so that he threw his body into tackles to smack down where he could. Made his tackles stick from what I could see and I'll always value guys who like to hurt the oppo where they can.

Berry is pretty much most wanted by everyone on here. He's very onbrand with what Freo value and from what I can see with the added bonus if having actual forward class. We are all in round these parts haha

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back