List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

As prone to backflips as they are, its unlikely they are going to backflip back again so soon was my point.
Ya I think we will get him. How nice it would be if he progressed and became a genuine top 5 gun by the 2026 draft?

Long way to go yet though. I remember everyone hyping up a 15 yo kid from Gero that played for east Fremantle a couple of years back and by the time he was 18 he didn’t even get drafted. Jed Hagan I think his name was.

Last edited:
There is a 2026 ranking list on the main draft board and it has 6 out of the top 12 being academy or F/S, plus many more through the top 50. The #1 can choose Carlton F/S or Richmond NGA. The #2 is currently not in an NGA, but Port are trying as his father (ex Port player Stuart Cochrane) believes he has indigenous heritage. Our kid is #3.

If the wooden spooner is effectively picking at #4 it might trigger further changes. Might make a mockery of the draft if the spooners put in 3 bids before actually getting anyone. I'm hoping some of these academy kids slide down the rankings a bit, will be easier to avoid change if they are more like 10-20 prospects, not top 3.

But imagine if Collingwood wins the spoon in 2026 (I think it is quite possible as WC and Richmond took 4 years to go from premiers to spoon material, and it would be 3 years for the Pies with a dad's army brigade) and Robinson is the #1 rated kid. There is no chance in hell that the AFL allows us to get him. They are normally reactive, but they will become proactive.

There is a 2026 ranking list on the main draft board and it has 6 out of the top 12 being academy or F/S, plus many more through the top 50. The #1 can choose Carlton F/S or Richmond NGA. The #2 is currently not in an NGA, but Port are trying as his father (ex Port player Stuart Cochrane) believes he has indigenous heritage. Our kid is #3.

If the wooden spooner is effectively picking at #4 it might trigger further changes. Might make a mockery of the draft if the spooners put in 3 bids before actually getting anyone. I'm hoping some of these academy kids slide down the rankings a bit, will be easier to avoid change if they are more like 10-20 prospects, not top 3.

But imagine if Collingwood wins the spoon in 2026 (I think it is quite possible as WC and Richmond took 4 years to go from premiers to spoon material, and it would be 3 years for the Pies with a dad's army brigade) and Robinson is the #1 rated kid. There is no chance in hell that the AFL allows us to get him. They are normally reactive, but they will become proactive.
It will change again, absolutely no doubt. Just have to hope we don't get ****ed on the next change and I'm not as cynical as you that it will be that blatant. I hope we can get Robinson in before they change but the eligibility criteria for NGA needs a massive overhaul.

They probably dominate the rankings this early because they’re known quantities, and have had more development time pumped into them.

Others will catch up

Ya I think we will get him. How nice it would be if he progressed and became a genuine top 5 gun by the 2026 draft?

Long way to go yet though. I remember everyone hyping up a 15 yo kid from Gero that played for east Fremantle a couple of years back and by the time he was 18 he didn’t even get drafted. Jed Hagan I think his name was.
Hagan was 175cm at 15 and stayed that height at 18 unfortunately.....

The AFL actually flagged that there will be review of eligibility criteria and zones for NGA. So effectively it'll go from limited access point (40+) but wider criteria regarding eligibility to unlimited access (all picks) but potentially stricter criteria/zones.

I think at least with zones, the AFL has linked it to Tasmania entering the AFL. Maybe that part won't affect us, but who knows. A bit up in the air on that front.
I suspect that eligibility would likely not be retrospective. That would affect players coming in rather than those already there.

That said, the AFL absolutely has it in them to do stuff on a whim.
They probably dominate the rankings this early because they’re known quantities, and have had more development time pumped into them.

Others will catch up
100%

Welsh (Crows)
Camporeale twins (Blues)

Both in first round calculations (with some pundits at least) this time last year. One of the twins I think is still in the 2nd round mix, the other two are in the late/rookie mix now.

You'd be nuts not to talk them up as they come through, guaranteed clicks by the fans dreaming of F/S freebies. As if we all wouldn't lap up a puff piece talking up a 16/17yo Pavlich, Mundy or Pearce.

Alright Chris25 it’s that time of the season enlighten me brother

Impossible to say until we see what happens in trade week and see what we lose/bring in. But until then my current rankings are on the previous page…

But it has to be all about speed and skill I would think - particularly in the middle. That’s a far bigger need than forward for me. So Murphy Reid and Xavier Lindsay would be my top two targets, but likely to be gone by when we pick. Tom Gross might be an option later in the first/second.

And I will continue to look at adding skill to the half back line. Tobie Travaglia, Harrison Oliver and Lachie Jacques would all be options over the first two rounds. Might be more something we look at late though, maybe Jaxon Artemis from WA.

Does Gross fill the skill part. He looked good but his skill level didn't stand out for the right reasons

Probably more the speed/goal kicking threat for Gross. He at least has the burst we lack.

Hamish Davis with 14 touches and 3 goals in the Claremont league side yesterday with their season on the line. I'm hoping he's available at our Saints pick.

I can see Davis being in that 20-30 range. Probably depending on how clubs view his midfield ability. Him and Ned Bowman would be the main two medium forwards I look at.

Probably more the speed/goal kicking threat for Gross. He at least has the burst we lack.

I can see Davis being in that 20-30 range. Probably depending on how clubs view his midfield ability. Him and Ned Bowman would be the main two medium forwards I look at.
As should be expected Freo has spoken to him, not sure about WC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impossible to say until we see what happens in trade week and see what we lose/bring in. But until then my current rankings are on the previous page…

But it has to be all about speed and skill I would think - particularly in the middle. That’s a far bigger need than forward for me. So Murphy Reid and Xavier Lindsay would be my top two targets, but likely to be gone by when we pick. Tom Gross might be an option later in the first/second.

And I will continue to look at adding skill to the half back line. Tobie Travaglia, Harrison Oliver and Lachie Jacques would all be options over the first two rounds. Might be more something we look at late though, maybe Jaxon Artemis from WA.
Jobe Shananhan would be a massive riser in recent times as he's kicking goals at VFL senior level. Shananhan's a hard running 193 tall forward who's super accurate in front of goals. Belly said he thought Luke's best position could end up being as a big bodied mid so to do that positonal change we need another tall forward.

I could see us pulling a surprise and drafting Shanahan if we trade in two small forwards but have one first rounder left say Bolton and then a later pick on Joe Richards who we are apparently keen on. Richards looks like a Switter type and apprently we rate him for his pressure statistics.

Jobe Shananhan would be a massive riser in recent times as he's kicking goals at VFL senior level. Shananhan's a hard running 193 tall forward who's super accurate in front of goals. Belly said he thought Luke's best position could end up being as a big bodied mid so to do that positonal change we need another tall forward.

I could see us pulling a surprise and drafting Shanahan if we trade in two small forwards but have one first rounder left say Bolton and then a later pick on Joe Richards who we are apparently keen on. Richards looks like a Switter type and apprently we rate him for his pressure statistics.
Port has offered him 4 years

I would be surprised. If we we have a pick in say the mid second round and he was still on the board, maybe we’d take someone like Shanahan as a best available - similar to how we decided we couldn’t overlook Murphy last year.

Assuming we get rid of Taberner, Corbett and Kuek, then we probably will bring in a tall forward. But I imagine it’d more be someone like Nicholls or Gerreyn with a later pick.

A strong performance from Hamish Davis helped Claremont qualify for the finals in last game of the WAFL regular season. He predominantly played high half forward with some run on a wing, and was able to show his endurance and dash up and down the ground. He was clean in swooping on loose balls and strong overhead, slotting three goals and showing why he's one of the most highly rated prospects in the 2024 WA crop.

Another small forward for you to think about

----

Jesse Dattoli has been flying somewhat under the radar this season but he finds himself in good form ahead of a big finals campaign with a chance to really push himself up the draft order. He started slowly in this game, fumbling a couple of times and not seeing much of the ball in the opening quarter as his team fell well behind on the scoreboard. He started the second quarter in the center bounce and from there he lifted himself and his team as they gradually fought back in the game. He showcased his strong marking for his size, powerful movement and solid skills, not to mention his ability to hit the scoreboard through set shots or opportunistic snaps.

Hopefully we can keep a first round pick early enough to get Lindsay there is something about a classy left footer bursting out a pack.

He has just had a setback with a PCL injury but there is a touch of Heath Black about him.

Loves a tackle and is from Vic Country and we all know Walls loves them.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/117206...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1720934367001

Hopefully we can keep a first round pick early enough to get Lindsay there is something about a classy left footer bursting out a pack.

He has just had a setback with a PCL injury but there is a touch of Heath Black about him.

Loves a tackle and is from Vic Country and we all know Walls loves them.

https://www.afl.com.au/video/117206...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1720934367001
May as well shut this thread down if we’re getting Kozzie and Bolton, our first pick will be in the 40’s and we’ll upgrade a couple of rookies to meet the 3 onto main list criteria (Draper and Voss my guess)

This was the second and final senior WAFL game by Gerreyn with West Perth missing out on finals, so the last opportunity we have to get a look at how he managed the step up to the level. Unfortunately both games were heavily impacted by rain and a very heavy deck, and as a result this wasn't a prolific game by any means but he had some fantastic moments that underlined his talent. He managed to take some nice marks with a greasy ball, and was clean at ground level. Size and strength wise he was certainly not out of place, but there were many times when the veteran Bulldogs defenders would beat him in contests with their craft and savvy.

Re: Ivan Starr.

Had a foot injury and something else that kept him off legs for a bit.

Back running now and won the 100, 200, 400 & 800m at the latest school carnival. (Not sure what the competition was like, but still).

Trying to find out if Freo have had a chat, but there is interest there.

Related to Bolton. Could be a good rookie pick.

Re: Ivan Starr.

Had a foot injury and something else that kept him off legs for a bit.

Back running now and won the 100, 200, 400 & 800m at the latest school carnival. (Not sure what the competition was like, but still).

Trying to find out if Freo have had a chat, but there is interest there.

Related to Bolton. Could be a good rookie pick.
Ain't Ivan Starr 2025 draft? Looks exciting from what I've seen (mostly by accident when watching South Freo colts for Toby Whan).

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back