List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice work from our NGA team to identify he was in the wrong program.

I bet it went well down the road.

Hopefully pays big dividends in a couple of years.
Sounds like it was actually south Fremantle looking to get him into their colts team instead of Claremont’s that triggered the investigation.

Sounds like it was actually south Fremantle looking to get him into their colts team instead of Claremont’s that triggered the investigation.
That won't stop WC from background briefing the AFL on why we should be stripped of the rights to him when he is rated as the no 1 draft pick in the lead up to 2026.

Interesting Berry is quiet low. Moaraes would be a good pick at 25, if we still have him for an outside mid who can hit the score board.

The depth of the draft is insane. Hotton was talked about as Pick 1, now he has dropped massively. Could be an absolute steel.

1726616819453.png

1726616791906.png

1726616770186.png

1726616747895.png

1726616728233.png

1726616667931.png

Last edited:

Interesting Berry is quiet low. Moaraes would be a good pick at 25, if we still have him for an outside mid who can hit the score board.

The depth of the draft is insane. Hotton was talked about as Pick 1, now he has dropped massively. Could be an absolute steel.

View attachment 2113848

View attachment 2113847

View attachment 2113846

View attachment 2113845

View attachment 2113844

View attachment 2113843
Ollie Hannaford makes top 30 for the first time? May move up again if combine goes well?

On SM-S918B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can still this year. Bring in Bolton (a big need) and 2 good kids like Hotton, Berry and Allen.

If we can do that, I will be very happy.

I think we are going to completed destroyed on this trade.

I think it will go as well as splitting pick 6 in 2019 and getting Lobb and Sturt.

I think it will go as well as splitting pick 6 in 2019 and getting Lobb and Sturt.
There's middle room between overpay and reasonable. They can have some of both worlds and 26 year old Bolton is going to be incredible in our team with our weaknesses. I honestly don't know how you're not incredibly excited to watch him play. No way Berry or likewise are better than him - ever, yet alone next 4 years

Just like Port did with the 2019 draft.

Eventually we will learn

What do you mean "eventually"? We have hit the draft for years as hard as we could with the exception of bringing in a player who is now the Coleman medallist. And with Jackson, Bolton and Warner we are trying to put the cherry on top. We've done the bulk of our drafting, and it is time to convert draft picks into players that can play now.

And even if Bolton is 9+10, then we should still have 2 picks which can get us 2 forwards. There's plenty of options listed in Twomey's top 30, plus Hamish Davis who he has left out.

Just like Port did with the 2019 draft.

Eventually we will learn
2019? the same draft we took serong young frederick (and henry)? I'm all for going to the draft usually but it's rare that there's an established 25/26 yr old, AA caliber of player who is just about the perfect fit for our position of need. the timeline of this side is ready to go now, not waiting for even more players to develop

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2019? the same draft we took serong young frederick (and henry)? I'm all for going to the draft usually but it's rare that there's an established 25/26 yr old, AA caliber of player who is just about the perfect fit for our position of need. the timeline of this side is ready to go now, not waiting for even more players to develop
I assume they meant 2018, but it is ironic that they accidentally picked the draft class where we are most dominant in (and could get more). As well as Serong, Young and Frederick, we've gotten Jackson and Sharp who came from that draft class, and may well get Chad Warner too, also 2019 crop.

There's middle room between overpay and reasonable. They can have some of both worlds and 26 year old Bolton is going to be incredible in our team with our weaknesses. I honestly don't know how you're not incredibly excited to watch him play. No way Berry or likewise are better than him - ever, yet alone next 4 years
It's funny isn't it.

Towards the start of the year there was some talk that out of any player in the AFL, Bolton would be one of the players most suited to compliment Freo's list.

Lo and behold, six months later, here we are with that exact trade seemingly deep in our pocket. Adding a skillful, dynamic and exhilarating small/medium forward to our already promising list would seemingly be an amazing outcome.

I swear some supporters must walk around with a dark cloud over your head...Eeyore style.

It's funny isn't it.

Towards the start of the year there was some talk that out of any player in the AFL, Bolton would be one of the players most suited to compliment Freo's list.

Lo and behold, six months later, here we are with that exact trade seemingly deep in our pocket. Adding a skillful, dynamic and exhilarating small/medium forward to our already promising list would seemingly be an amazing outcome.

I swear some supporters must walk around with a dark cloud over your head...Eeyore style.
Yeah, because Bolton is a lock, with our hand, as Twomey said, we can't lose and it's not like getting Bolton means we can't draft at all. It's a dream scenario the club has set itself brilliantly up for. It's been fantastic list management overall.

I just don't think we will find that middle ground. I think we will massively overpay.

The draft looks incredible, and it reminds me so much of the 2018 draft where we could have had pick 5 and 6, instead walked away with Hogan, Lobb and Sturt.

I am backing pick 9 and 17 (or what ever we trade him for) to have a better career than Bolton.

Sorry 2018 draft.

AA caliber? He has only shown that form once when coming out of contract, and the rest of the time he is 30-35 goal a year forward. Everyone thinks he will turn it on for us. I doubt he will.

Not the perfect position need either. We need Pickett, he would be perfect. Bolton plays higher, provides less pressure but can run through the middle.
What do you mean "eventually"? We have hit the draft for years as hard as we could with the exception of bringing in a player who is now the Coleman medallist. And with Jackson, Bolton and Warner we are trying to put the cherry on top. We've done the bulk of our drafting, and it is time to convert draft picks into players that can play now.

And even if Bolton is 9+10, then we should still have 2 picks which can get us 2 forwards. There's plenty of options listed in Twomey's top 30, plus Hamish Davis who he has left out.

You forgot Lobb.

Happy to target players, but you need to target the right one, and get them when they are out of contract.

Ideally, you don't trade them out in a strong draft as well.

Serious question.

What do you expect from Bolton next year?

Where will he play? Forward pocket, half forward, percentage of midfield time?

What is the pass mark for him in terms of goals, goal assists, pressure?

I am expecting a 30-35 goal a year season, where he provides little pressure. Gets 40% of his goals of other peoples work, and he misses 25-30 shots at goal.

He play 20% of his time in the middle, looks good if he gets the ball, but does chase hard defensively.

That is a decent player, but not worth anywhere near a million dollar a year or pick 9 and 10.

Last edited:

You are going to be very disappointed when we use most of our picks on players instead of drafting. We can keep following the GCS and GWS model of drafting and never achieve anything or the Geelong model who don't over commit to the draft and make finals 12 out of 14 years.

You are going to be very disappointed when we use most of our picks on players instead of drafting. We can keep following the GCS and GWS model of drafting and never achieve anything or the Geelong model who don't over commit to the draft and make finals 12 out of 14 years.

I would love to follow the Geelong model.

They are never stupid enough to target contracted players, and then pay overs to get them. Especially for players who are getting paid overs on their current contract.

They target top 20 players in the comp like Dangerfield and Cameron, and get them for unders.

They target free agents, or depth players and get them with late picks.

They target mature age players, identify them brilliantly and then draft them.

How is Bolton similar to what Geelong have done.

The closer trade Geelong have done to Bolton, is trading out Kelly and that turned out brilliant for them

Last edited:
Sorry 2018 draft.

AA caliber? He has only shown that form once, and the rest of the time he is 30-35 goal a year forward. Everyone thinks he will turn it on for us. I doubt he will.

Not the perfect position need either. We need Pickett, he would be perfect. Bolton plays higher, provides less pressure but can run through the middle.
I'd expect him to be a 30-35 goal a year forward, but also be far more capable in transition and playing a part in plenty of other goals as well as he's far more dangerous forward of centre then any other small on the list

i think we need just as much extra talent through a forward that plays higher then someone being deeper towards goal (not that i would say no to pickett). our midfield in stoppage looked by far more dangerous when we had young in there in the back half of the year being an attacking weapon which we don't have another one of - bolton provides that and provides us with another match winner which I don't think we have that many of

I'd expect him to be a 30-35 goal a year forward, but also be far more capable in transition and playing a part in plenty of other goals as well as he's far more dangerous forward of centre then any other small on the list

i think we need just as much extra talent through a forward that plays higher then someone being deeper towards goal (not that i would say no to pickett). our midfield in stoppage looked by far more dangerous when we had young in there in the back half of the year being an attacking weapon which we don't have another one of - bolton provides that and provides us with another match winner which I don't think we have that many of

Is that worth pick 9 and 10, and a million dollars a year. (Plus salary percentage increases I assume)

I would like Bolton in our side as well, but the cost is too high.

I just don't think we will find that middle ground. I think we will massively overpay.

The draft looks incredible, and it reminds me so much of the 2018 draft where we could have had pick 5 and 6, instead walked away with Hogan, Lobb and Sturt.

I am backing pick 9 and 17 (or what ever we trade him for) to have a better career than Bolton
Man, regardless of the rest, this is an absolutely crazy take and must just be a reflection of how low you rate Bolton in particular. Bolton already has an AA and I'll give him a good shout of getting a couple more in our team

Is that worth pick 9 and 10, and a million dollars a year. (Plus salary percentage increases I assume)

I would like Bolton in our side as well, but the cost is too high.
if it's the piece that takes us over the top then yes to me.

Serious question.

What do you expect from Bolton next year?

Where will he play? Forward pocket, half forward, percentage of midfield time?

What is the pass mark for him in terms of goals, goal assists, pressure?

I am expecting a 30-35 goal a year season, where he provides little pressure. Gets 40% of his goals of other peoples work, and he misses 25-30 shots at goal.

He play 20% of his time in the middle, looks good if he gets the ball, but does chase hard defensively.

That is a decent player, but not worth anywhere near a million dollar a year or pick 9 and 10.

I expect Bolton to be floating between mid/forward with a roughly even split. For a full season:

Total 35-40 goals, 10-15 Brownlow votes. Regularly in the top 5 players on the ground. Average 4 clearances, 18-20 touches, 0.8-1 goal assists, 7 score involvements. These numbers are simplya rough average of his 2022-2023 seasons.

The above package of clearances, goals, goal assists, score involvements would put Bolton as a top 10 offensive weapon in the competition.

Bolton was ranked 12th and 6th in the whole competition for score involvements in 2023 and 2022. More information you will probably ignore cause it doesn't suit your narrative.

You are drastically underrating what Bolton can bring to our side and overrating draft picks. And the salary cap can't be ignored. We are sacrificing a first round pick to fit one extra superstar player on the list. It's a good strategy.

From Bolton, if he plays a full season, then I expect some kind of average of his 2022-2023 seasons. Perhaps a slight improvement. Floating between mid/forward with a roughly even split.

Total 35-40 goals, 10-15 Brownlow votes. Regularly in the top 5 players on the ground. Average 4 clearances, 18-20 touches, 0.8-1 goal assists, 7 score involvements.

Bolton was ranked 12th and 6th in the whole competition for score involvements in 2023 and 2022. More information you will probably ignore cause it doesn't suit your narrative.

The above package of clearances, goals, goal assists, score involvements would put Bolton as a top 10 offensive weapon in the competition.

You are drastically underrating what Bolton can bring to our side and overrating draft picks. And the salary cap can't be ignored. We are sacrificing a first round pick to fit one extra superstar player on the list. It's a good strategy.

Man, regardless of the rest, this is an absolutely crazy take and must just be a reflection of how low you rate Bolton in particular. Bolton already has an AA and I'll give him a good shout of getting a couple more in our team
If he can find his 2022 form for us, then he is worth a lot.

I have never seen a player come to freo and improve, or even match their best year consistently.

I admire your optimism.

If he plays 4 years like his 2022 season, then he will be a good get. I just don't think he will. I hope he is truly committed to making us better, and is willing to work hard.

It worries me that it looks like he did not fully commit to Richmond this year, and there was some talk about people at Richmond being unhappy with his attitude.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back