Prediction 2025 Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point, I think Reid played about 10 minutes and then missed the rest of the year, which was annoying.

Lav, though, didn't play a single VFL game and was in the AFL side the rest of the year.
Lav had no one to replace him i would reckon both Hayes and Reid will be ahead of him next year

He tries hard but his ceiling has been hit and his a solid C grader at best

Lav had no one to replace him i would reckon both Hayes and Reid will be ahead of him next year

He tries hard but his ceiling has been hit and his a solid C grader at best

We shall see.

If they have Weideman ahead of Hayes, you'd think that'd makes Hayes a fair way off Laverde.

Reid might be competing with him (Lav), but he averages only 2 AFL games per year.

Agree on your final statement on Lav. He's perfect depth. Tries his guts out.

We shall see.

If they have Weideman ahead of Hayes, you'd think that'd makes Hayes a fair way off Laverde.

Reid might be competing with him (Lav), but he averages only 2 AFL games per year.

Agree on your final statement on Lav. He's perfect depth. Tries his guts out.
Hayes should be a ahead of him at this stage in terms of a priority for development his spent the last 2 years in the VFL at some point we have to play him in the seniors to continue his development.

In regards to Shiel his 31 next year Tsatas is 20 i can ensure you this kid wont be a bust his got that drive to be better and has worked non stop on his weaknesses its time we place him above Shiel for development

I would also try to get Hobbs in more often in the middle but Parish isnt all that versatile

B. McGrath McKay Ridley
HB. Merrett Reid Redman
C. Duursma Caldwell Roberts
HF Martin Caddy Gresham
F. Kako Jones Langford
Fill Draper Durham Parish
Int. Sheil Tsatsas Perkins Hobbs Guelfi

Merrett play Zorko role at half back
Martin is damaging forward of footy- no more cheap kicks back
Duursma and Robert’s both look like they can play the wing well
No glaciers in the forward 6- defensive pressure should improve
No more cox or jones on the wing
Jones mobile tall forward and second ruck
Bat pretty deep in mid rotation though quite one paced.
Can we draft more speed?

Welcome to THE BIG T ERA

McButcher McKay Jones/Hayes
Redman Ridley Merrett
Duursma Durham El Hawli
Martin Caddy Gresham
Kako Draper Langford
Bryan The Big T at WILL Caldwell
Parish Roberts Hobbs Perkins Cox

Would love to see Jones tried down back because it's crazy to expect anything from Reid and I think he has good attributes for that that roll.

Need to see Merett play off half back to not only organize that disaster zone but give Hobbs/Big T a chance and also let Martin go forward, hopefully Roberts can fill in while he's resting or needs to go in the middle/onball.

Need to give Hobbs every chance next year, at worst raise his trade value, at best we get a player.

McGrath McKay Ridley
Merrett Reid Redman
Duursma Martin Roberts
Gresham Jones Kako
Guelfi Caddy Langford
Draper Caldwell Durham
Parish Cox Perkins Tsatas

Jones and Cox to take some ruck minutes, Draper needs to stand up and play bigger minutes in the middle, get running big fella, if you want your big 6 year deal.

Merrett to half back, Martin inside, he can transition the way Ed Richards for the dogs has, I think he can do some serious damage from inside, pushing forward.

Roberts/Merrett sometimes the 7th defender with Martin picking up some wing minutes giving Tsatas more inside minutes.

Mcgrath Mckay Redman
Ridley Hayes El- Hawli
Duursma Merrett Roberts
Perkins Jones Martin
Langford Caddy Kako / Gresham
Draper Caldwell Tsatsas
Bryan, Durham, Ried, Shiel, Gresham

Unless im missing something our defender stocks are very slim.

B- Ridley McKay McGrath
HB- Merrett Hayes Redman
C- Roberts Durham Duursma
HF- Langford Caddy Martin
F- Gresham Wright Kako
FOLL- Bryan Caldwell Parish
I/C- Tsatsas, Hobbs, El-Hawali, Jones, Perkins

Emerg- Guelfi, Draper, Cox, Shiel, Setterfield, A.Davey

With just the draft to play out and us already knowing who our top prospect will be, now feels an appropriate time for a first crack.

B McGrath - McKay - Ridley
HB Roberts - Laverde (Reid) - Redman
C Duursma - Caldwell - Martin
HF Gresham - Wright - Guelfi
F Kako - Langford - Caddy
R Draper - Merrett - Parish
Int. Jones - Durham - Bryan - Shiel - Perkins

Probably forgot someone.

Mcgrath Mckay Redman
Ridley Hayes El- Hawli
Duursma Merrett Roberts
Perkins Jones Martin
Langford Caddy Kako / Gresham
Draper Caldwell Tsatsas
Bryan, Durham, Ried, Shiel, Gresham

Unless im missing something our defender stocks are very slim.
I envisage that Baldwin will come back into the mix.

And while I wasn’t initially keen on the idea, Merrett’s leadership, disposal, and tactical awareness, plus the fact that he often sets up play from defensive 50 as an onballer, would make him the ideal replacement for what Heppell and Martin would have provided. This gives our younger onballers the chance to become the players they necessarily have to be rather than forcing them into roles they aren’t suited to. Tsatas and Hobbs in particular, who can only be onballers.

I present for discussion:

McGrath Baldwin McKay
Redman Reid Ridley
Martin Tsatas Duursma
Perkins Caddy Gresham
Langford Draper Kako
Bryan Merrett Caldwell
Durham Roberts Parish ElHawli
Cox

- Baldwin has a great summer, back on the list and Reid fully fit 😬. Both have great hands and beautiful disposal. Allows McKay to play 3rd man/interceptor. He just has to get to the other guys who can use it..In this defence, I’d have Ridley no where near another tall forward again. He plays the loose man/ quarterback role. It’s maybe too tall. However, when you match them on Lions forwards from the GF:
Daniher- Reid
Hipwood- McKay
Morris- Baldwin
Rayner- Ridley
Cameron- McGrath
Ah Chee- Redman

Or say Hawks with their mobile forward line:
Chol- McKay
Dear- Reid
Gunston- Baldwin
Watson- McGrath
Ginnivan- Ridley
Macdonald- Redman

I think it’s not too bad…

- Midfield mix will be interesting, I’d love to see a fully fit Tsatas selected Round 1 and played in the middle. Will be huge for his confidence. Others speak for themselves in there. Parish will have to accept his role won’t be racking up 30 touches a game.

- Forward line still has huge question marks. It’s Caddy’s forward line, just needs a reliable big man to support him. I don’t think it’s Wright… I’m also not sure it’s Draper. But think that’s how it starts and they continue to try get an advantage with the Bryan/ Draper ruck combo. Kako looks exciting but could take time… Watson is a great example this year. Didn’t really hit his straps until Hawks turned it around… I don’t see the Bombers having a hawks style turnaround this year.
Gresham starts and his position to lose, I don’t think he has another gear though and has reached his ceiling of what he is. I’d love for one of the Daveys to show something year and take his spot but I have huge doubts on their ability to what to get better and become AFL players. Perkins is played solely as a forward he maybe has a 5 min run in the middle.

Back line group: McKay, Reid tall; Ridley, Cox medium; McGrath, Redman, Roberts small
Midfield group: Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Parish, Hobbs/Tsatas inside; Jones, Duursma, Martin outside; Draper/Bryan ruck
Forward line group: Caddy, Wright tall; Langford, Perkins medium; Kako, Guelfi, Gresham small

In a perfect world we upgrade Gresham somehow. Open to any combination of Wright, Draper and Bryan. Would prefer Hobbs and Tsatas to get games over Shiel and maybe even Parish when we get later into the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back line group: McKay, Reid tall; Ridley, Cox medium; McGrath, Redman, Roberts small
Midfield group: Merrett, Durham, Caldwell, Parish, Hobbs/Tsatas inside; Jones, Duursma, Martin outside; Draper/Bryan ruck
Forward line group: Caddy, Wright tall; Langford, Perkins medium; Kako, Guelfi, Gresham small

In a perfect world we upgrade Gresham somehow. Open to any combination of Wright, Draper and Bryan. Would prefer Hobbs and Tsatas to get games over Shiel and maybe even Parish when we get later into the season.

This list generally looks right based on last season and health.

Overall think we probably have one small player too many and would like an extra bigger inside mid (alongside Durham/Tsatas) but that’s more of a list issue that they couldn’t fix this year for obvious reasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2025 Best 23

Remove this Banner Ad

Back