11. GWS
12. Essendon
13. Port
14. Melbourne
15. St Kilda
16. North Melbourne
17. West Coast
18. Richmond

Best chance they've got is De Goey playing 23 consistent games at his best level, and McStay, Membery and Mihochek all booting 35 goals +.
If that happens, we'll barely lose a game all year.

35 goals from those 3 players... add Hill, Schultz, Elliott, 20 goals from Naicos playing wherever he's needed....

But no way we'd br relying on 35+ from the 3 you mentioned to get back to contending.

In 2023, it was Elliott, Mihocek and Hill who kicked 30+. Our forward line is set up such that any of 7 or 8 players can chime in with 3 or 4 goals on a given day, but we don't need or expect 35+ from 3 tall targets.

Based off of the predictions posted so far.

1. Brisbane | 3.02
2. GWS | 4.98
3. Geelong | 5.01
4. Hawthorn | 5.68
5. Sydney | 5.97
6. Fremantle | 6.02
7. Western Bulldogs | 8.23
8. Carlton | 8.58
------------------
9. Collingwood | 9.12
10. St Kilda | 10.44
11. Gold Coast | 10.67
12. Port Adelaide | 11.03
13. Adelaide | 12.13
14. Essendon | 12.65
15. Melbourne | 13.45
16. North Melbourne | 15.22
17. West Coast | 16.11
18. Richmond | 17.95

Last edited:

Based off of the predictions posted so far.

Brisbane
: 1.9
GWS: 3.4
Hawthorn: 3.9
Sydney: 4.6
Fremantle: 5.4
Western Bulldogs: 6.5
Carlton: 7.25
Geelong: 7.875

------------------
St Kilda: 9.5
Port Adelaide: 10.125
Collingwood: 10.5
Gold Coast: 11.3
Adelaide: 14.0
North Melbourne: 14.875
Melbourne: 14.875
Essendon: 15.0
West Coast: 17.0
Richmond: 18.0
Surprised Collingwood are that low.
Will play finals next year for sure.

• Geelong - don't ask why, just a gut feel thing
  • Brisbane - might start slow again, but hard to see not being thereabouts again - if the new forward structure works
  • Greater Western Sydney - not exactly convinced, could take a huge dive if a few key players drop off
  • Carlton - forward setup is too good not to win games, but the rest of the team (bar a couple) puts a big question over getting it done in finals when you have to be able to rely on everyone
  • Collingwood - last hurrah before a (possibly short term) dive? showed enough when they came good later to be in the middle of finals
  • Port Adelaide - "not quite" seems about their level
  • Sydney - those two recent GFs have got to hurt, suspect an over-reaction in team makeup, which might take a while to come good
  • Western Bulldogs - could easily be top two if everything clicks and some promising players really kick on, losing Bailey Smith an irritant but can be overcome
-------------
  • Fremantle - I thought I would have them around the middle of the eight, but had to place others above them
  • Hawthorn - expecting stagnation after 2-3 years worth of climb in one, combined with a likely hard draw could play just as well without getting as many wins; could equally be 4th or 5th
  • Gold Coast - ho hum, learn to win away and climb a couple of spots
  • Adelaide - might just be the hardest to place, anything (except 1st, 17th or 18th) could happen
  • Essendon - surprised the hype train hasn't started yet, the arrogance is usually up front at this stage
  • St Kilda - last of the realistic chances of the eight, but could be the big bolter of the year; I can't even say why, but there are times when there seems to be promise of more, just not expecting it to be fulfilled
gap
  • West Coast - OK, am I over-rating them? I have no reason to rate them
  • Melbourne - didn't lose all the players that were rumoured to be wanting out, but something seems wrong and imo not a great list. Obviously have a couple of stars and can get wins against most, but I can't see them winning consistently (which probably means they will).
yawning chasm
  • North Melbourne - for 2024 I picked 0 wins, expcting 2-5 in 2025 assuming a better injury run in key positions. Really looking for the bad games not to be as bad (maybe just as bad against Brisbane, or in SA - seem to be 8 goals worse in either of those circumstances) and a percentage that's not quite the same joke levels.
  • Richmond - will win a game or two somewhere, probably 1 v North, maybe GC in Melbourne, or St Kilda on a bad goalkicking day

And after all that bear in mind, we all get these badly wrong. And I get them badlier wronger than most, partly because I just don't pay the attention I used to.
Can you change your username to “ badlier wronger “ ?

Applying the rule of change that we see between most seasons where at least two teams come into the finals and two teams drop out I’ll have an early stab in the dark. I fully expect a very tight season and any teams between 1-15 could play finals.

GWS
Hawthorn
Brisbane
Fremantle
Carlton
Gold Coast
Geelong
Essendon
------------------
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Adelaide
St Kilda
Melbourne
North Melbourne
West Coast
Richmond

Reasoning for each-
Giants - think they’ll have another very strong season.
Hawthorn - should start the season stronger and have added 2 key pillars.
Brisbane - Maybe won’t have the same desire as 2024 but I’m willing to keep them near the top.
Fremantle - it’s now or never for Longmuir.
Carlton - Should give top 4 a shake, but their reliance on two few may be an issue.
Gold Coast - they simply have to make finals in 2025.
Geelong - thereabouts, but don’t have the class of previous years to lift them over others.
Essendon - Should do enough to scrape in, and not capitulate in the second half of the season.
Sydney - Just don’t know how the grand finals going to play out in the team’s Psyche. Won’t be surprised if they play finals though.
Western Bulldogs - another up-and-down year of weird coaching decisions.
Port Adelaide - a step backwards and pressure on the coach. Strong midfield, but is it enough?
Collingwood - large query over the physical resilience of so many older players to get through an entire season. Could play finals.
Adelaide - Not sure that the recruits address their lack of midfield class. Could push up.

St Kilda - more of the same, but might be better than expected.
Melbourne - how could anyone have any faith in Melbourne? Could play finals, could implode.
North Melbourne - Clarkson simply must start winning games or the pressure will come. Have to win at least 5 games.
West Coast - Should be able to win at least 4-5 games.
Richmond - This could be a winless season, but I would expect them to get belt at most weeks and sneak a win.

Surprised Collingwood are that low.
Will play finals next year for sure.
The best record in history to fall short of finals and have added a top two and top 12 player with more depth to come. Would be an all time shocking result to miss finals.

Applying the rule of change that we see between most seasons where at least two teams come into the finals and two teams drop out I’ll have an early stab in the dark. I fully expect a very tight season and any teams between 1-15 could play finals.

GWS
Hawthorn
Brisbane
Fremantle
Carlton
Gold Coast
Geelong
Essendon
------------------
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Adelaide
St Kilda
Melbourne
North Melbourne
West Coast
Richmond

Reasoning for each-
Brisbane - Maybe won’t have the same desire as 2024 but I’m willing to keep them near the top.
Carlton - Should give top 4 a shake, but their reliance on two few may be an issue.
Geelong - thereabouts, but don’t have the class of previous years to lift them over others.
Essendon - Should do enough to scrape in, and not capitulate in the second half of the season.
Sydney - Just don’t know how the grand finals going to play out in the team’s Psyche. Won’t be surprised if they play finals though.
Port Adelaide - a step backwards and pressure on the coach. Strong midfield, but is it enough?
Collingwood - large query over the physical resilience of so many older players to get through an entire season. Could play finals.
Adelaide - Not sure that the recruits address their lack of midfield class. Could push up.

Melbourne - how could anyone have any faith in Melbourne? Could play finals, could implode.
North Melbourne - Clarkson simply must start winning games or the pressure will come. Have to win at least 5 games.
Richmond - This could be a winless season, but I would expect them to get belt at most weeks and sneak a win.
Not trying to rile any feathers but can i ask honestly ask how come you have us in the 8?

Turn to dustFactor in clear best 23 upgrades and it's very hard to see Collingwood missing
Adding Houston is a plus - the other guy isn’t much to write home about.

The problem is your old blokes (often injured last year) are another year older.

Not sure Houston can fill the gap.

homer simpson GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adding Houston is a plus - the other guy isn’t much to write home about.

The problem is your old blokes (often injured last year) are another year older.

Not sure Houston can fill the gap.

homer simpson GIF
A consistent top 10 B&F finisher in a side that has gone deep in finals and was a leadership group member is a strong addition given he can play many positions. Also left out is a consistent 30+ goal kicker who is coming in to boost depth free of trade cost. The club has upgraded its best 23 and will welcome many players back from injury to recommence the season. As has also been established previously, few of the older brigade dropped off and those can be expected to go again at a similar level (quite a few were sidelined for much of the year and weren't given the opportunity to drop off)

A consistent top 10 B&F finisher in a side that has gone deep in finals and was a leadership group member is a strong addition given he can play many positions. Also left out is a consistent 30+ goal kicker who is coming in to boost depth free of trade cost. The club has upgraded its best 23 and will welcome many players back from injury to recommence the season. As has also been established previously, few of the older brigade dropped off and those can be expected to go again at a similar level (quite a few were sidelined for much of the year and weren't given the opportunity to drop off)
The problem with having a team of geriatrics is thy don’t get fitter, play more, get better.

They get injured more, play less, impact less.

9 players over 30!

Your incoming won’t be able to bridge that gap over 28 weeks.

Sad but true.

Not trying to rile any feathers but can i ask honestly ask how come you have us in the 8?
Essendon played some decent football in 2024 and were sitting top 4, but fell in a hole in the second half of the year which I’m not sure they will do in 2025.

I think Scott’s ultimatum to the list to shape up or ship off will pay dividends, although I do think there’s going to be a log jam in the middle of the ladder.

Essendon played some decent football in 2024 and were sitting top 4, but fell in a hole in the second half of the year which I’m not sure they will do in 2025.

I think Scott’s ultimatum to the list to shape up or ship off will pay dividends, although I do think there’s going to be a log jam in the middle of the ladder

Fair point i wont hold out hope because its always the hope that gets you!
I do think Brad and the current admin that has stepped in are the right calls and i ultimately believe we are in a hole due to the old Admin and a certain list manager and it isn't an overnight fix.

The problem with having a team of geriatrics is thy don’t get fitter, play more, get better.

They get injured more, play less, impact less.

9 players over 30!

Your incoming won’t be able to bridge that gap over 28 weeks.

Sad but true.
Very similar posts can be found in the 2022 prediction thread about Geelong

GWS
Hawthorn
Brisbane
Fremantle
Carlton
Gold Coast
Geelong
Essendon
------------------
Sydney
Western Bulldogs
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Adelaide
St Kilda
Melbourne
North Melbourne
West Coast
Richmond

Reasoning for each-

Certainly didn't expect to see Essendon in this top 8

They've signalled change. I'm anticipating a bottom 4 finish honestly.

The depth at the Giants suddenly worries me too after the departures of Perryman, Cumming, Peatling and Haynes.

Remove this Banner Ad

2025 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back