Remove this Banner Ad

Draft & FS - 2024
Trades/ FA / Academy - 2025

Senior List

To date out & in
Cuningham > Boyd
Marchbank > Haynes
Martin > 1x free list spot

Likely we’d have to make another 3x senior list spots. Owies, Carroll and ?

Pick 12 - Travaglia
Pick 14 - Trainor / Hotton / Berry
Ben Camporeale
Lucas Camporeale? / or another pick at the draft / or a DFA

Lucas most likely would be rookie bound, but we’d have to keep a senior spot open for him. Wouldn’t put it past SOS or someone else bidding on both late to make us fill our senior list.

Weird year, there are going to be some AFL quality DFA this year. Possibly Owies and Carroll from us, other clubs would be in the same boat.

Rookie List

Mirkov > Lord
Boyd > 1x Free list spot / Lucas Camporeale / possible senior list downgrade to make a list spot
Durdin (Delist) > 2x Free list spot
Carroll > likely 1x year deal

Some value in the Rookie list this year:

1x Foster or McMahon (VFL) or Granger-Barass
1x Konstanty or White (VFL)

Surely everybody can understand that the system is broken when Nick Daicos gets drafted into an already strong team for picks 38, 40, 42 & 44?
Will be the same this year. Levi Ashcroft would prob have gone at pick 1, bar a sweetheart deal Brisbane made with Richmond, netting Richmond pick 20 for a bunch of picks they weren't going to use. And Brisbane's first pick is now 32. Ashcroft will come to them for 32, 34, 42, 43.

Ok so in terms of ins and outs I have

Senior List:

Marchbank > Haynes
Cuningham > Boyd
Martin > Pick 12

Rookie List

Mirkov > Lucas Camporeale
Boyd > Lord
Akeui > Duffy

With the following out of contract

Senior List:

Owies
J. Carroll

Rookie List

S. Durdin
M. Carroll

I can see why we need to trade/delist Owies and Carroll or trade contracted players.

With Zac Williams becoming a forward, Boyd on primary list and Lucas on rookie cover the running defender spot. Cuningham and Martin gone leaves 1 forward spot open. Owies going will make 2.

S. Durdin will likely be replaced by a draftees or mature pick up. If we are interested in Trainor or Clancy Dennis then I think that's his spot on the depth chart out.

If Carroll goes we will need a mid spot filled. Presumably Ben Campo.

So in terms of draft strategy I think we are going mid-forward with pace and a key, two mid-forwards, or a general defender to take Kemp's spot on the depth chart as he takes Martin's in the forward.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Senior List:

Marchbank > Haynes
Cuningham > Boyd
Martin > Pick 12

Rookie List

Boyd > Lord
Akeui > Rookie Pick 11

Senior List:

Owies
J. Carroll

Rookie List

S. Durdin
M. Carroll

I can see why we need to trade/delist Owies and Carroll or trade contracted players.

With Zac Williams becoming a forward, Boyd on primary list and Lucas on rookie cover the running defender spot. Cuningham and Martin gone leaves 1 forward spot open. Owies going will make 2.

S. Durdin will likely be replaced by a draftees or mature pick up. If we are interested in Trainor or Clancy Dennis then I think that's his spot on the depth chart out.

So in terms of draft strategy I think we are going mid-forward with pace and a key, two mid-forwards, or a general defender to take Kemp's spot on the depth chart as he takes Martin's in the forward.

Akeui is a Cat-B rookie. Will be replaced by Matt Duffy. Effectively, we have one spot on the senior list, and one rookie spot open. Will need to create at least two more spots, probably 3.

Akeui is a Cat-B rookie. Will be replaced by Matt Duffy. Effectively, we have one spot on the senior list, and one rookie spot open. Will need to create at least two more spots, probably 3.
You always miss something.

Thanks

What's the go with Matt Carroll?

Don't recall hearing anything. Would be harsh cutting him after one year but considering some others on the chopping block I think keeping him would be a soft call.

Put him in our vfl program and see if he can get his body right.
May be fortunate that he's on our rookie list, rather than the senior list, which is under much more pressure for spots. Tend to agree though, that he'll probably be lucky to survive the next round of cuts. Would love him to stay with the VFL team if he does get cut, and there's a fair chance he does - Carlton supporter, as is most of his family.

Think Fanta needs a move to the rookie list.
M.Carroll VFL apprenticeship
Lucas C hopefully a rookie pick

D.G-B a potential bargain (but also a good quote re: being sceptical of ‘20 Coviders). S.Durd’s likely out.

May be fortunate that he's on our rookie list, rather than the senior list, which is under much more pressure for spots. Tend to agree though, that he'll probably be lucky to survive the next round of cuts. Would love him to stay with the VFL team if he does get cut, and there's a fair chance he does - Carlton supporter, as is most of his family.

We have stated that we like to give young players a go for more longer term than the shorter term (MSD timing I think) and let draftees develop within.

Tough one with his injuries but see above re: preference for M.Carroll for 2025.

Think Fanta needs a move to the rookie list.
M.Carroll VFL apprenticeship
Lucas C hopefully a rookie pick

D.G-B a potential bargain (but also a good quote re: being sceptical of ‘20 Coviders). S.Durd’s likely out.

We have stated that we like to give young players a go for more longer term than the shorter term (MSD timing I think) and let draftees develop within.

Tough one with his injuries but see above re: preference for M.Carroll for 2025.

It's not as easy to move someone from the primary list to the rookie list as it used to be. Prior to 2022 (I think brought in during Covid), you could move a player to the rookie list before the draft. Now, it must be done after the National Draft (before the Rookie draft).

You only get the number of picks at the National Draft that your list will allow i.e. both (1) up to 38 on primary list; (2) up to 42 total (primary + rookie, not including Cat-B).

So, for example, if we make no more changes now till draft day, we would go into the draft with 2 selections only. (Upgrading Boyd would meet the mandatory 3 selections). Using both of them would take us to 37-5 (primary-rookie), rather than the desired 36-6, so we could at that point move a player to the rookie list. All well and good.

But, we want more selections than that - likely 4 (12, 14, + Ben/Lucas). For that to happen, we need to create two more spots. BUT, only one of them can come from a rookie delisting. This is because we'd hit the 38 on primary list limit. So, at the very least, we could say delist Sam Durdin or Matt Carroll, but delisting both of them won't help us at the national draft (it would however give us a pick at the rookie draft). So, more than likely we will have to delist or trade away at least one primary-listed player.

Long story short, if we can't find trades for anyone, that means at least one of Owies or Jack Carroll will be delisted.

Agree Fanta would be a likely candidate to be rookied, but there are a couple of other possibilities. The only negative about doing this, is that the player would immediately become a free agent, so you don't do it to someone you don't want to be a free agent next year.

It's not as easy to move someone from the primary list to the rookie list as it used to be. Prior to 2022 (I think brought in during Covid), you could move a player to the rookie list before the draft. Now, it must be done after the National Draft (before the Rookie draft).

You only get the number of picks at the National Draft that your list will allow i.e. both (1) up to 38 on primary list; (2) up to 42 total (primary + rookie, not including Cat-B).

So, for example, if we make no more changes now till draft day, we would go into the draft with 2 selections only. (Upgrading Boyd would meet the mandatory 3 selections). Using both of them would take us to 37-5 (primary-rookie), rather than the desired 36-6, so we could at that point move a player to the rookie list. All well and good.

But, we want more selections than that - likely 4 (12, 14, + Ben/Lucas). For that to happen, we need to create two more spots. BUT, only one of them can come from a rookie delisting. This is because we'd hit the 38 on primary list limit. So, at the very least, we could say delist Sam Durdin or Matt Carroll, but delisting both of them won't help us at the national draft (it would however give us a pick at the rookie draft). So, more than likely we will have to delist or trade away at least one primary-listed player.

Long story short, if we can't find trades for anyone, that means at least one of Owies or Jack Carroll will be delisted.

Agree Fanta would be a likely candidate to be rookied, but there are a couple of other possibilities. The only negative about doing this, is that the player would immediately become a free agent, so you don't do it to someone you don't want to be a free agent next year.
Enter Fanta. Already a DFA, and nobody else would likely grab him (no biggie if they did).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ultimate goal would be to get SDK at the end of next year when he's OOC. Gives us a KPD for the now and a KPD we can build around as Walker, Walsh etc take the reigns from Cripps, Curnow, Weiters etc as they slow down.

Building around TDK, SDK, Walker, Walsh, Cerra is a pretty handy starting point for life post our current superstars.

I know its a long way out but id say SDK would cost more than a 1st, a pick we currently dont have and can’t use our F1 from 26 due to Walker, I’m seeing SDK as being constantly out of reach, if we want a KPD to jump straight in, Ballard and Collins from GC are both free agents next year, either would be great.

It’s about time we were able to target a FA and still go to the draft

Senior List:

Marchbank > Haynes
Cuningham > Boyd
Martin > Pick 12

Rookie List

Boyd > Lord
Akeui > Duffy

Senior List:

Owies
J. Carroll

Rookie List

S. Durdin
M. Carroll

The list still seems light on to me, with current picks Owies is replaced by pick 14, Carrol by Ben and that leaves two rookies, we have met with DGB so lets assume he is one, then there is one spot left.

I know people get excited by kids but our last two low key trades in Acres and Hollands have been great so i really hope we add another DFA to the rookie list, like a Curtis Taylor or Konstanty but then i still think we need to add a kid to the rookie list, especially if we don’t draft a KPD.

I still think Kennedy will move on.

If we’re not holding a current first, we probably wouldn’t be able to cover the deficit and a bid match wouldn’t be allowed.

It is going to be a lot harder to match top 5 bids.
Im sure other clubs are probably doing this and I’m surprised its not more widespread, i strongly believe we have put the Campo twins on ice, they missed a lot of footy after the champs, now why would Walker for example need to push his case all year, test all year, interview all year, if we have already committed to taking him.

I can imagine players easing off, protecting their body, focusing on school or holidays with family before they are due to move in to the AFL.

Im sure other clubs are probably doing this and I’m surprised its not more widespread, i strongly believe we have put the Campo twins on ice, they missed a lot of footy after the champs, now why would Walker for example need to push his case all year, test all year, interview all year, if we have already committed to taking him.

I can imagine players easing off, protecting their body, focusing on school or holidays with family before they are due to move in to the AFL.
Hopefully he’s not bid on too high, but it would be pretty risky to trade out of the 26 first round next year.

I know its a long way out but id say SDK would cost more than a 1st, a pick we currently dont have and can’t use our F1 from 26 due to Walker, I’m seeing SDK as being constantly out of reach, if we want a KPD to jump straight in, Ballard and Collins from GC are both free agents next year, either would be great.

It’s about time we were able to target a FA and still go to the draft
Ballard has re-signed with Gold Coast through to 2029

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2025 List Management 📃

Remove this Banner Ad

Back