Prediction 2025 Most Important Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Have done this thread a few times in the past.

Rank our list by most important to the success of our team next sesson... as opposed to order of best player. Ie. Who can we least afford to lose.

1 Rankine - our best matchwinner
2 Dawson - our captain is most influential behind Rankine
3 Thilthorpe - reckon he can become almost unstoppable. No Berg to backup
4 O'Brien - ranked high, because we have no other quality ruck option & stuffed if he is injured
5 Fogarty - integral part of our forward line
6 Soligo - very important to our midfield movement
7 Worrell - our best tall defender imo who reads the play so well & holds our defence together
8 Crouch - our best clearance midfielder
9 Murray N - this season showed how much we missed him structurally
10 Michaelanny - reckon he will go up another level & he plays better with Worrell
---
11 Hinge
12 Cumming
13 Keays
14 Walker
15 Rachele
16 Neal-Bullen
17 Peatling
18 Sholl
20 Keane
21 Curtin
22 Pedlar
23 Laird
24 Bond
25 Butts
26 Jones
27 Taylor
28 Nankervis
29 Berry
30 Milera
31 Edwards
32 Ryan
33 Pick 4 midfielder
34 Dowling
35 Cook
36 Borlase
37 Murray T
38 Schoenberg
39 Murphy
40 Smith
41 Strachan
42 Welsh
43 Burgess
44 Gallagher

Last edited:

Would have Dawson over Rankine. Dawson's skillset is too important, very much the glue of the team.

Think Dowling will be best 22. Don't see much use for Berry, Milera, Laird, Jones.
Think it its going to be like arguing who is more important out of McLeod & Ricciuto...

We don't have any player like Rankine & imo he is our best matchwinner.

Dawson is more consistent & think we can cover him better than Rankine... just.

Not sure Dowling has enough X factor, but no one really knows what he can become.

Don't know how Michalanney could play any better
Reckon he still has plenty of upside & that he is our new Ben Hart. He was a much better player when Worrell was playing as they were able to cover most inward contests between them

1. Rankine clear no.1 imo.
He has something no one else in our squad has. We saw enough of his time in the midfield this year, that indicated he can become a premier mid in the comp. If he gets to be a 20-25 disposal per game, 30-40 goal mid, we are flying.

2. I'd have Thilthorpe.
Came back from injury looking like a beast, and in his last 4 games of the year, averaged 6+ marks and just over 2 goals a game. If he can continue this form he will turn into a 50 goal forward.

3. I'm going a combo - Worrell and Murray.
Stability in defensive 50 is vital for a winning team. These two have a great mix of attributes between them, and are our best 'talls' down back. If we can get 22 games from each, we will be much more settled down back. They only played 4 games together last season (R21-24). Muzz will be far better for the run, and another pre-season. I expect him to have a very good year. And Worrell is a personal favourite of mine. Unlucky to cop the arm injury this year. He's my first picked in the D50 every week.

1. Rankine clear no.1 imo.
He has something no one else in our squad has. We saw enough of his time in the midfield this year, that indicated he can become a premier mid in the comp. If he gets to be a 20-25 disposal per game, 30-40 goal mid, we are flying.

2. I'd have Thilthorpe.
Came back from injury looking like a beast, and in his last 4 games of the year, averaged 6+ marks and just over 2 goals a game. If he can continue this form he will turn into a 50 goal forward.

3. I'm going a combo - Worrell and Murray.
Stability in defensive 50 is vital for a winning team. These two have a great mix of attributes between them, and are our best 'talls' down back. If we can get 22 games from each, we will be much more settled down back. They only played 4 games together last season (R21-24). Muzz will be far better for the run, and another pre-season. I expect him to have a very good year. And Worrell is a personal favourite of mine. Unlucky to cop the arm injury this year. He's my first picked in the D50 every week.
I like your list... we will be going well if Dawson isn't in our best 5 assuming he doesn't miss games.

I wouldn’t have Crouch near the top, our midfield goes fine without him. As long as we have Dawson, Soligo and Rankine as the mainstays and the guys beneath come on, Crouch will be holding us back.
Crouch imo is our best clearance midfielder & will be better off with quicker players around him.

We just cannot have Crouch & Laird or Berry in the midfield.

Given our poor ruck depth, ROB has to be at or near the very top of this list.

ROB doing something like a ACL would force Strachan and/or Thilthorpe to shoulder majority of the load - would definitely impact our team structure both in the midfield and up forward, and we saw how Thilthorpe’s absence hurt us in 2024.

Toby Murray could surprise but he’s more a chop-out option.

So yes, without adequate cover, ROB is Top 3 for mine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like your list... we will be going well if Dawson isn't in our best 5 assuming he doesn't miss games.
The skipper is important no doubt. We will be pretty stuffed if he gets injured.

I went more for players who need to take the next step for us to get to the next level. Thats pretty important this year.

Surely Murphy is our number 1. How else are we expected to keep shape? ;)

For mine, I'd have Thilthorpe as our number 1. With the decline of Tex, he gives us a real legitimate target in the f50. When his confidence is up, he has the ability to turn 'ok' delivery into a score. Chopping out in the ruck as another bow.

Dawson is 2. Probably the only player atm who can drag the rest of the squad with him.

Rankine at 3. Can turn a match on a dime. I think out of everyone, he will benefit from having Peatling in the middle.

Unfortunately ROB is top 5, because who else do we have?

Have done this thread a few times in the past.

Rank our list by most important to the success of our team next sesson... as opposed to order of best player. Ie. Who can we least afford to lose.

1 Rankine - our best matchwinner
2 Dawson - our captain is most influential behind Rankine
3 Thilthorpe - reckon he can become almost unstoppable. No Berg to backup
4 O'Brien - ranked high, because we have no other quality ruck option & stuffed if he is injured
5 Fogarty - integral part of our forward line
6 Soligo - very important to our midfield movement
7 Worrell - our best tall defender imo who reads the play so well & holds our defence together
8 Crouch - our best clearance midfielder
9 Murray N - this season showed how much we missed him structurally
10 Michaelanny - reckon he will go up another level & he plays better with Worrell
---
11 Hinge
12 Cumming
13 Keays
14 Walker
15 Rachele
16 Neal-Bullen
17 Peatling
18 Sholl
20 Keane
21 Curtin
22 Pedlar
23 Laird
24 Bond
25 Butts
26 Jones
27 Taylor
28 Nankervis
29 Berry
30 Milera
31 Edwards
32 Ryan
33 Pick 4 midfielder
34 Dowling
35 Cook
36 Borlase
37 Murray T
38 Schoenberg
39 Murphy
40 Smith
41 Strachan
42 Welsh
43 Burgess
44 Gallagher

I am going Thilthorpe. Tex is beyond his best years and Fogarty cant handle the best defenders. Thilthorpe needs to stand up and take us into a post Tex era. Rankine is a match winner but Thilthorpe needs to dominate the forward line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2025 Most Important Player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back