Training 2025 Pre-Season (no sighting of Joel Crocker …yet)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bali and Europe probably followed by some golf when they get back.

Not bad for a team that has finished bottom two for the past 4 years.
Not bad at all.

It was work hard play hard right.

Now it’s just …play hard?

Sure, Xerri, George, LDU, Sheezel, Chom.

Take all the time in the world you need.

You other campaigners though..

Not bad at all.

Sheez has been holiday ing at the club and meeting potential recruits. And probably doing charity unheralded in the side. Possibly curing cancer too.

Not bad at all.

There's a lot of science behind deloading and destressing being beneficial to recovery and gains. Professional athletes all take significant rest periods.

They should turn off for a few weeks and enjoy themselves. Then get back into it refreshed and refocused. For instance, muscles are more highly sensitive post this sort of period and achieve greater hypertrophy/growth following a period of rest.

Being in constantly losing team would be highly stressful. This likely has some negative impact on players health, fitness and recovery.

For all we know this may also be one reason why more successful teams are able to better develop young players coming through their systems. It's definitely a reason why the club would be attempting to make a workplace where players are happy to come to.

There's a lot of science behind deloading and destressing being beneficial to recovery and gains. Professional athletes all take significant rest periods.

They should turn off for a few weeks and enjoy themselves. Then get back into it refreshed and refocused. For instance, muscles are more highly sensitive post this sort of period and achieve greater hypertrophy/growth following a period of rest.

Being in constantly losing team would be highly stressful. This likely has some negative impact on players health, fitness and recovery.

For all we know this may also be one reason why more successful teams are able to better develop young players coming through their systems. It's definitely a reason why the club would be attempting to make a workplace where players are happy to come to.

Not such a dunder head

I know there’s a lot of science regarding the links between diet, sleep and recovery. So as long as they’re ticking those boxes too - go have blast.

And after two weeks changes can occurs whether it’s a regression in endurance or strength.

My point isn’t to say players aren’t entitled to their allocated time off.
But their job requires constant training even if it is at a lower intensity in this down weeks prior to the commencement of pre-season. That’s a fact. And isn’t a negotiable at an elite level of any sport.

I just hope they’re aware of this and how hard they have to work to get to afl standard next year. And I can tell you with absolute certainty, when you’re playing catch up, it’s a lot harder after a significant period of lazy days and drinking.

Show me some clips of even some hiking in the alps nearby the Bavarian region and I’ll be less critical.

My opinion only though.

And after two weeks changes can occurs whether it’s a regression in endurance or strength.

My point isn’t to say players aren’t entitled to their allocated time off.
But their job requires constant training even if it is at a lower intensity in this down weeks prior to the commencement of pre-season. That’s a fact. And isn’t a negotiable at an elite level of any sport.

I just hope they’re aware of this and how hard they have to work to get to afl standard next year. And I can tell you with absolute certainty, when you’re playing catch up, it’s a lot harder after a significant period of lazy days and drinking.

Show me some clips of even some hiking in the alps nearby the Bavarian region and I’ll be less critical.

My opinion only though.
What you would lose within a month is regained very quickly. But I get your point you can’t go getting smashed and eating pizzas everyday.

This isn't really true at all.

The type of fatigue you're talking about is very often very exercise and body part specific and most strength and conditioning coaches don't employ full deloads like you're suggesting.

Blokes aren't training for hypertrophy during the season, they normally weight train two days a week and are already at deloaded loads, in an attempt to maintain during the season.

Proactive/periodised deloads are pretty much dead as a concept now in favour of autoregulated reactive deloads which are based on bar speed measurements to measure the effect of muscle damage and nervous system fatigue.

There have been a lot of really good studies recently and they pretty much all conclude that block/period based deloads impair hypertrophy and strength compared to just ploughing on through a program, because we often overestimate the need for deloading.

This period of time after a season is absolutely a chance to make some more improvements compared to your peers as an elite athlete. I highly doubt our players all did bar speed analysis immediately before jetting overseas.

The only gain I can imagine is mental or if you have an injury that needs pure rest.

Haven’t been to the monkey onsen - not a fan of our primate cousins.
It’s in Nagano, which is awesome, although I’ve only been in mid summer.

I live in Osaka so I can probably only give decent advice about Kansai (Osaka, Kyoto, Kobe). Kyoto is an absolute must for the temples, gardens etc. Arashiyama is a small town about 20 minutes from the center of Kyoto that is definitely worth a visit. Nara is another must visit for a day. 45 minutes from either Kyoto or Osaka. Osaka is great for food, convenience etc. but other than the castle is not the most picturesque city. If time is a factor I’d skip Kobe. I would definitely set aside a night or two to spend in an onsen town.

Happy to answer any specific questions if you (or anyone else) have them.
My daughter went to Japan earlier this year. Loved it!
Especially Kyoto. Also loved her visit to Nara, although the deer were a bit cheeky.
Transport is fabulous and always on time!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What you would lose within a month is regained very quickly. But I get your point you can’t go getting smashed and eating pizzas everyday.
Shit, so taking that theory up as my new health regime probably wasn't the right option then

This isn't really true at all.

The type of fatigue you're talking about is very often very exercise and body part specific and most strength and conditioning coaches don't employ full deloads like you're suggesting.

Blokes aren't training for hypertrophy during the season, they normally weight train two days a week and are already at deloaded loads, in an attempt to maintain during the season.

Proactive/periodised deloads are pretty much dead as a concept now in favour of autoregulated reactive deloads which are based on bar speed measurements to measure the effect of muscle damage and nervous system fatigue.

There have been a lot of really good studies recently and they pretty much all conclude that block/period based deloads impair hypertrophy and strength compared to just ploughing on through a program, because we often overestimate the need for deloading.

This period of time after a season is absolutely a chance to make some more improvements compared to your peers as an elite athlete. I highly doubt our players all did bar speed analysis immediately before jetting overseas.

The only gain I can imagine is mental or if you have an injury that needs pure rest.
I don't believe that is true. Maybe we're disagreeing on the period of deload?

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2025 Pre-Season (no sighting of Joel Crocker …yet)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back