AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't we suffered enough
seth meyers laughs no GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Let's put it in perspective.

We've already lost 598 games of experience between Walla, Hurley, Cutler and Smith. Assuming Francis (54 games), Waterman (22) and Ham (45) go it means this off season we're shedding 719 games of AFL experience this off season, which is about 25% of the games played on our list, and we're not exactly the most experienced group going around in the first place. If Heppell goes that's nearly 1/3 of our games played off the list in one year.

I know we're going through a rebuild (something people in here may have forgotten due to our dead cat bounce in 2021) but you still need experience on the list otherwise it's going to be a lot more painful.

We've already lost 598 games of experience between Walla, Hurley, Cutler and Smith. Assuming Francis (54 games), Waterman (22) and Ham (45) go it means this off season we're shedding 719 games of AFL experience this off season, which is about 25% of the games played on our list, and we're not exactly the most experienced group going around in the first place. If Heppell goes that's nearly 1/3 of our games played off the list in one year.

I know we're going through a rebuild (something people in here may have forgotten due to our dead cat bounce in 2021) but you still need experience on the list otherwise it's going to be a lot more painful.
Your point was well made without reaching with Waterman and Ham ethan. :p

but you still need experience on the list otherwise it's going to be a lot more painful.

I can deal with pain if I know we're moving in the right direction and making the necessary decisions for that direction. And might I also add the reason we shed those games from the said players you mentioned is because they were cooked players with no upside. It's good to have experience, but it matters that the players providing that experience are actually good, or serviceable enough to not become a liability/stagnate the progress of those who are being passed on the torch.

Heppell is a liability who brings the team down in terms of workload on the field. This makes things difficult in terms of a workable structure but also in setting standards. How can you expect players to genuinely buy into the idea that they have to earn their spots based on performance if they're carrying someone who cannot be true to themselves? How can you expect players to truly take advantage of a leader if the leader is unable to make a call for the betterment of those around him the moment it becomes evident that he's becoming a liability?

It's all so tiring.

Last edited:
I can deal with pain if I know we're moving in the right direction and making the necessary decisions for that direction.

Also, Heppell is a liability who brings the team down in terms of workload on the field. This makes things difficult in terms of a workable structure but also in setting standards. How can you expect players to genuinely buy into the idea that they have to earn their spots based on performance if they're carrying someone who cannot be true to themselves? How can you expect players to truly take advantage of a leader if the leader is unable to make a call for the betterment of those around him the moment it becomes evident that he's becoming a liability?

It's all so tiring.
I think it will be telling if he hands the captaincy over. Maybe we should wait and see what happens there first.

Just bring back Fletch then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your point was well made without reaching with Waterman and Ham ethan. :p
Really it could have stopped at Walla and Hurley and Walla wasn’t there at all this year and Hurls was given a farewell game after not playing all year. Which of the other guys would be on any oppositions senior list next year or even the past couple seasons?

Really it could have stopped at Walla and Hurley and Walla wasn’t there at all this year and Hurls was given a farewell game after not playing all year. Which of the other guys would be on any oppositions senior list next year or even the past couple seasons?
The point, which you've managed to avoid extremely well, is that last year we shed over 600 games of experience off our list between Hooker, Zaka, Gleeson and Ambrose whilst only bringing in Kelly with any AFL experience at all. This year we've already shed nearly 600 and are expected to shed at least another 100 games without bringing in any experience at all.

If Heppell left we'd have lost 1,500 games in 2 years whilst bringing in Kelly and a bunch of kids. When you consider that between the rest of our list has about 2000 games between them, that's a massive turnover of experience over 2 off seasons.

The point, which you've managed to avoid extremely well, is that last year we shed over 600 games of experience off our list between Hooker, Zaka, Gleeson and Ambrose whilst only bringing in Kelly with any AFL experience at all. This year we've already shed nearly 600 and are expected to shed at least another 100 games without bringing in any experience at all.

If Heppell left we'd have lost 1,500 games in 2 years whilst bringing in Kelly and a bunch of kids. When you consider that between the rest of our list has about 2000 games between them, that's a massive turnover of experience over 2 off seasons.
Then go out and trade for some experienced players that will bring something to the team and list

Then go out and trade for some experienced players that will bring something to the team and list
Or do both. Which experienced player would you want to bring in? Give me suggestions.

I can deal with pain if I know we're moving in the right direction and making the necessary decisions for that direction. And might I also add the reason we shed those games from the said players you mentioned is because they were cooked players with no upside. It's good to have experience, but it matters that the players providing that experience are actually good, or serviceable enough to not become a liability/stagnate the progress of those who are being passed on the torch.

Heppell is a liability who brings the team down in terms of workload on the field. This makes things difficult in terms of a workable structure but also in setting standards. How can you expect players to genuinely buy into the idea that they have to earn their spots based on performance if they're carrying someone who cannot be true to themselves? How can you expect players to truly take advantage of a leader if the leader is unable to make a call for the betterment of those around him the moment it becomes evident that he's becoming a liability?

It's all so tiring.
Yeah well unless we can convince Mundy or JPK etc to sign up for a season or two Heppell is the only experience we're likely to get this offseason.

I agree with your sentiment, but there’s a certain point that experience shouldn’t come for the sake of it, at the expense of progress.

In the corporate world when you’re rebuilding a culture and workforce, I’d argue that you’re better off moving on any people that

a) don’t offer much in the way of meaningful contributions
b) have played a role in the existing poor culture and performance

I see Dyson as having played a key role in our existing culture of complacency and lack of defensive efforts. Along with plenty of others.

I’d argue that our team would be better off in trading in another reasonably experienced player from a successful culture.

Yeah well unless we can convince Mundy or JPK etc to sign up for a season or two Heppell is the only experience we're likely to get this offseason.
We're not getting an experienced coach and I don't think we're getting experienced players.

Mitch Robinson might like a season?
We should have courted Travis Boak. He wouldn't come to us now.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #21: Dyson Heppell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back