Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Footy fans seem silly when they pick on Daicos. I don't know if he's the best player in the comp but it's pointless dumping on anyone good enough to be in that conversation. We just look jealous and obsessed.

Re Gulden, I think any talk of his leadership, or perceived lack thereof, is a bit unfair at this still-very-early stage. What I will say is that there's a slightly-concerning trend unfolding of leaders at our club that are 'lads.'

Sir Dane's always been a quirky cat. Mills is one of the larrikins of the club. Papley was stand-in captain this year a few times. And Gulden, with his speed-dealers and smart-arsey speeches and treating events like the All Australian presentation and the grand final parade like he couldn't give a shite, seems to be cut from the same cloth.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being this type of individual, but how well it translates to being taken seriously as a leader and a captain... I don't know.

Recent premiership captains like Lachie Neale, Joel Selwood, Max Gawn, Trent Cotchin... all husbands and fathers. Not that one can't be a great leader and role model without being married or having children, but having those things generally suggests a certain level of maturity and sensibility one has in life, and it's a maturity and sensibility that I don't think some of our leaders have shown yet.
I’d go as far to say that our clubs biggest weakness is leadership.

I have been surprised by how much rope Gulden has been given this year to be a bit of a smart arse a bit too often. Bloods teams would have called him up on it long ago.

Maybe it is a generational thing. People seem to like Hawthorn and what I would call their arrogance. But to my mind the leader should be setting incredibly tough standards for themself on what it takes to win, and then holding their team mates to the same standards.

I think Gulden and Papley both have a tendency to hold their team mates to higher standards than they regularly meet themselves. I think Rampe generally is the opposite, he doesn’t hold team mates regularly enough to the standards he sets for himself.

Mills is probably the most consistent across both sides (probably why he is captain!) but he still has really immature moments that good captains just don’t have (e.g. running off the line early to celebrate Florents non-goal after the siren, mad Monday, rushing back from injury, etc).

I think this is what happens when for a long while you have a young list with a big age gap to the leaders - it is hard to bridge. Trade ban played a role with this, but the club could have managed better now as well.

I think getting the leaders and players together to refresh what values they want to espose, could be a very good exercise. They could then measure last year against those standards and set a course for where they can improve.

I’d go as far to say that our clubs biggest weakness is leadership.

I have been surprised by how much rope Gulden has been given this year to be a bit of a smart arse a bit too often. Bloods teams would have called him up on it long ago.

Maybe it is a generational thing. People seem to like Hawthorn and what I would call their arrogance. But to my mind the leader should be setting incredibly tough standards for themself on what it takes to win, and then holding their team mates to the same standards.

I think Gulden and Papley both have a tendency to hold their team mates to higher standards than they regularly meet themselves. I think Rampe generally is the opposite, he doesn’t hold team mates regularly enough to the standards he sets for himself.

Mills is probably the most consistent across both sides (probably why he is captain!) but he still has really immature moments that good captains just don’t have (e.g. running off the line early to celebrate Florents non-goal after the siren, mad Monday, rushing back from injury, etc).

I think this is what happens when for a long while you have a young list with a big age gap to the leaders - it is hard to bridge. Trade ban played a role with this, but the club could have managed better now as well.

I think getting the leaders and players together to refresh what values they want to espose, could be a very good exercise. They could then measure last year against those standards and set a course for where they can improve.

I wouldn't mind seeing Grundy take a larger leadership role. Mills captain & a leadership group of Mills, Heeney, Grundy & Blakey. From outside looking in, Mills is locked. I think players look up to Heeney as the 'alpha' now, Grundy has experience from other clubs so provides a difference perspective & Blakey is probably a good link between the playing group & leaders.

Footy fans seem silly when they pick on Daicos. I don't know if he's the best player in the comp but it's pointless dumping on anyone good enough to be in that conversation. We just look jealous and obsessed.

Re Gulden, I think any talk of his leadership, or perceived lack thereof, is a bit unfair at this still-very-early stage. What I will say is that there's a slightly-concerning trend unfolding of leaders at our club that are 'lads.'

Sir Dane's always been a quirky cat. Mills is one of the larrikins of the club. Papley was stand-in captain this year a few times. And Gulden, with his speed-dealers and smart-arsey speeches and treating events like the All Australian presentation and the grand final parade like he couldn't give a shite, seems to be cut from the same cloth.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being this type of individual, but how well it translates to being taken seriously as a leader and a captain... I don't know.

Recent premiership captains like Lachie Neale, Joel Selwood, Max Gawn, Trent Cotchin... all husbands and fathers. Not that one can't be a great leader and role model without being married or having children, but having those things generally suggests a certain level of maturity and sensibility one has in life, and it's a maturity and sensibility that I don't think some of our leaders have shown yet.

St. Daicos has significant defensive deficiencies which are neither recognised or considered important by some ‘experts’.

I dislike the fact that this aspect of his game (which I posted but was deleted) slips under the radar.

The fact he ranks 92nd in 1%ers re-enforces what I think of him as a team player.

Regardless of Gulden’s smart-assedness, I’d take him all day every day over the ‘Untouchable one’

St. Daicos has significant defensive deficiencies which are neither recognised or considered important by some ‘experts’.

I dislike the fact that this aspect of his game (which I posted but was deleted) slips under the radar.

The fact he ranks 92nd in 1%ers re-enforces what I think of him as a team player.

Regardless of Gulden’s smart-assedness, I’d take him all day every day over the ‘Untouchable one’
Believe me, if it was up to me, the only players that would get any worship in the media would be those that are damaging working both ways, defensively and offensively.

But I also think that would spell trouble for a lot of our own "stars."

Believe me, if it was up to me, the only players that would get any worship in the media would be those that are damaging working both ways, defensively and offensively.

But I also think that would spell trouble for a lot of our own "stars."
Warner comes to mind, but even he ranks miles ahead of ‘the chosen one’ in 1%ers.

I've been very curious about his TOG. I'm not convinced his increased TOG has been beneficial for his performance. He doesnt look to be doing the real gut running that he was previously. So i looked at the stats - he is 90% TOG this year. However some games he was as high as 98%.
I compared this to others - Neale (85), Tom Green (78), Cripps (80) - onballer
Wingers - McCluggage (82), J Daicos (82), Massimo D (77)
He is clearly an elite runner to be able to average 90% TOG however I question how much of the time he is running at "one pace" rather than the acceleration, gut running required to get to the next contest or into spacce.
Does Errol need to peg back his TOG? Whilst he has still been good this year I don't believe he has been as effective (his disposal efficiency is the lowest its been) and his defensive efforts havent been as noticeable.

I wouldn't mind seeing Grundy take a larger leadership role. Mills captain & a leadership group of Mills, Heeney, Grundy & Blakey. From outside looking in, Mills is locked. I think players look up to Heeney as the 'alpha' now, Grundy has experience from other clubs so provides a difference perspective & Blakey is probably a good link between the playing group & leaders.

As far as Errol goes, I think he is still young and will mature. I agree he is a bit too much yap and, after his GF performance, needs to earn back some respect. But he is a smart, switched on guy who is quite capable of leading by example in years to come.

I'd be happy to see Grundy in the leadership group (if he were elected) but not as captain. He is more mature than most but doesn't have enough cred in my eyes.

In terms of our current players the one I'd like to see progress to have his leadership recognised more is Rowy. He has been described as the adult in the room and that's the way he comes across to me. He is mature, selfless and hard - great qualities for a leader. Combines the best of Parker and Rampe but without the onfield sizzle.

I have no issue with Mills as captain and I don't think he was promoted too soon. I'm curious why, caesar88 , you describe him as a larrikin. If it's based on Mad Monday, we don't know what happened and even still a one-off is not a lot to go on. Nor do I agree that our leaders aren't serious enough generally/historically.

Heeney has earned cred but still hasn't shown a desire to take on the responsibility of leading the club (although, if he keeps up his actions onfield in the QF and some other games this year, that could change).

As far as Errol goes, I think he is still young and will mature. I agree he is a bit too much yap and, after his GF performance, needs to earn back some respect. But he is a smart, switched on guy who is quite capable of leading by example in years to come.

I'd be happy to see Grundy in the leadership group (if he were elected) but not as captain. He is more mature than most but doesn't have enough cred in my eyes.

In terms of our current players the one I'd like to see progress to have his leadership recognised more is Rowy. He has been described as the adult in the room and that's the way he comes across to me. He is mature, selfless and hard - great qualities for a leader. Combines the best of Parker and Rampe but without the onfield sizzle.

I have no issue with Mills as captain and I don't think he was promoted too soon. I'm curious why, caesar88 , you describe him as a larrikin. If it's based on Mad Monday, we don't know what happened and even still a one-off is not a lot to go on. Nor do I agree that our leaders aren't serious enough generally/historically.

Heeney has earned cred but still hasn't shown a desire to take on the responsibility of leading the club (although, if he keeps up his actions onfield in the QF and some other games this year, that could change).

I think Heeney has taken a big step forward in the leadership aspect, on-field he looks to be organising the mids a bit more & his actual performances in times of need are second to none. Off-field he looks more comfortable in media interactions & has embraced being the no.1 marketing tool for the team imo. Rowey is a good shout too, I don't mind him either. Sometimes you need to put players into leadership positions rather than ask him or have them initiate, he looks to be a leader by actions.

I think we have enough leaders & experienced players. I just don't want to see a big leadership group, 4-5 is enough imo.

I don't have a problem with Mills being made captain when he was, but I have heard stories that suggest he is a bit of a... loose cannon, for lack of better words. This was before the Mad Monday incident, so when I heard that he'd gotten shit-faced and seriously injured himself at a pub, the very first thing I commented was, "idiot". Because I wasn't surprised.

I'll reiterate that being a loose cannon I don't think necessarily makes one a bad captain. Sir Dane is a loose cannon and the club did not fall to pieces under his captaincy, in fact it remained strong. I just don't know if it makes one a great captain, either.

Re Gulden, there are just little things that, in isolation, seem harmless and innocuous, but when compiled I don't like. The not wearing a tie to the awards night (understand he was not alone), the disinterested 10-second speech after winning the Brett Kirk Medal, the reclining throughout the grand final parade, the 100% TOG ambition. To me they paint the picture of someone who thinks himself above it all, who doesn't have to abide by the same expectations as other players. If this was all part of a broader philosophy of Gulden's that he doesn't care about any of this superficial stuff because all he cares about is his club and his team, that would be fine, admirable even. But in all honesty I don't get that vibe, because in each of those cases he is still representing the club. If he is this supposed born-leader who is destined to be captain of this club, I should think he has the basic care to represent the club with pride, not disinterest and even disdain.

It's also hard to believe that he is that team-oriented when frankly his form and demeanour on the field doesn't reflect that.

Not wanting to lay the boot into him too much. I love him as a player and understand I'm probably in the minority on this. I'm just not seeing 'future captain' yet from him. Though, to be fair, I'm not seeing that in anyone else, either.

I've been very curious about his TOG. I'm not convinced his increased TOG has been beneficial for his performance. He doesnt look to be doing the real gut running that he was previously. So i looked at the stats - he is 90% TOG this year. However some games he was as high as 98%.
I compared this to others - Neale (85), Tom Green (78), Cripps (80) - onballer
Wingers - McCluggage (82), J Daicos (82), Massimo D (77)
He is clearly an elite runner to be able to average 90% TOG however I question how much of the time he is running at "one pace" rather than the acceleration, gut running required to get to the next contest or into spacce.
Does Errol need to peg back his TOG? Whilst he has still been good this year I don't believe he has been as effective (his disposal efficiency is the lowest its been) and his defensive efforts havent been as noticeable.
Very good observation. I hadn’t connected the dots, but it did look like Gulden’s penetration with his kicking dropped off near the end of the year. I used to have the feeling whenever he got the pill “here we go, he is going to cut them up now”, and then it slowly became “here comes another semi-risky chip kick that is likely to go more sideways than forward”.

With the extended bench next year, hopefully TOG can drop. I’m not sure, but I reckon it was the coaches that suggested the 100% TOG aspiration. Maybe he can get there with another pre-season, but I hope this comes with rest games and/or metrics on how damaging he is.

Very good observation. I hadn’t connected the dots, but it did look like Gulden’s penetration with his kicking dropped off near the end of the year. I used to have the feeling whenever he got the pill “here we go, he is going to cut them up now”, and then it slowly became “here comes another semi-risky chip kick that is likely to go more sideways than forward”.

With the extended bench next year, hopefully TOG can drop. I’m not sure, but I reckon it was the coaches that suggested the 100% TOG aspiration. Maybe he can get there with another pre-season, but I hope this comes with rest games and/or metrics on how damaging he is.
I'd like to know the ratio of left and right kicks in the last few games , he had to go right on a fair few times and didn't run around it like a McVeigh.
Heeney's left side went to another level , so lets hope Errol can do the same with his right .

I just need to remind myself he is still very young. He has a few things to tidy up and still deservedly made All Australian. Was just an odd performance in the granny, maybe it was a general fatigue. I though the barking at others was odd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Posted this in July and nearly two and a half months later I feel it as strongly as ever.

I will probably get hounded for this but it's just my opinion and what I'm seeing, doesn't mean I'm right.

I feel like I'm seeing the same play from Gulden over and over in games, and I know it's coming before it happens.

Gulden gets a handball receive running along the non-broadcast boundary line, kicks long into the forward 50 with a ball he's almost trying to get to curl inwards, and it ends up going to what my junior coach used to call the '45 squared' zone (45m out, 45 degree angle from goal.)

But I feel like if dumb amateur Caesar drinking a beer on the couch knows it's coming, then it's almost certain the opposition knows it's coming. And it feels like it's becoming a bit stale and predictable that has a domino effect. Players are putting pressure on Gulden when he has the ball, so he's less running along the boundary line and more being hemmed into it. This then effects the kick, that extra bit less time and space to execute means it probably doesn't curve inwards as much so just ends up going to the same spots. This then makes it easy for opposition defenders to read and defend, and they get to the fall of the ball to outnumber and intercept.

It's not that this is a bad play or something I don't want to see Gulden doing. It's a fairly standard play for a wingman, especially with his foot skills. But it's just become SO over-used. If I could be arsed I'd be able to make a mosaic wall of screenshots of Gulden tucked against the far boundary line trying to send a long kick inward and it not really getting to anyone in particular. It happens that much.

He's a great player and the Gulden I love watching almost plays on instinct and what works in the moment. He looks amazing kicking through the corridor and also when he's on the run inside 50 going for goal himself. But this boundary line play feels very set and repetitive and it's getting a bit annoying to watch.

Of course I could just be seeing things. No one else seems to have made mention of this particular play, so maybe I am. Apologies for the long post.

Interesting observations of a few negative behaviours. I wonder who in the club would be the one to have a chat with him about them if they were felt to be a concern. The skipper would be an obvious choice but I wonder if he lost moral authority with the Mad Monday incident. Horse might be a sledgehammer to crack a walnut. Kirk? If it was my team and player I would not want to let it pass.

Re Gulden, there are just little things that, in isolation, seem harmless and innocuous, but when compiled I don't like. The not wearing a tie to the awards night (understand he was not alone), the disinterested 10-second speech after winning the Brett Kirk Medal, the reclining throughout the grand final parade, the 100% TOG ambition. To me they paint the picture of someone who thinks himself above it all, who doesn't have to abide by the same expectations as other players. If this was all part of a broader philosophy of Gulden's that he doesn't care about any of this superficial stuff because all he cares about is his club and his team, that would be fine, admirable even. But in all honesty I don't get that vibe, because in each of those cases he is still representing the club. If he is this supposed born-leader who is destined to be captain of this club, I should think he has the basic care to represent the club with pride, not disinterest and even disdain.

It's also hard to believe that he is that team-oriented when frankly his form and demeanour on the field doesn't reflect that.

Not wanting to lay the boot into him too much. I love him as a player and understand I'm probably in the minority on this. I'm just not seeing 'future captain' yet from him. Though, to be fair, I'm not seeing that in anyone else, either.

I hear you but I think you can read the situation another way too.

The tie was because the invite said "smart casual" and I heard Chad saying that he felt all the clubs (except Swans and Giants) "cheated" by disregarding this and wearing ties anyway.

I can't call to mind the 10 second speech after winning the Brett Kirk medal. Not surprising given it sounds like it was a blink and you'll miss it event. Possibly the broadcast didn't hang around long enough if I was watching on tv.

Reclining through the parade may have been him trying to apply advice to "soak it all in and enjoy it". Also it's a personality style. Some people are higher intensity and others are more laid back and laconic. Pendlebury is laidback but it hasn't stopped him being an excellent player and captain.

Unlike others at the B&F Gulden seemed far from a party mood and looked haunted by the GF (as he did straight after the game in the change rooms). Not surprising given the way his poor performance has been highlighted all week but he's not brushing it off. You could call this self-indulgent wallowing in misery because of your own poor performance but I think that's harsh.

He (and the other players and the club) are walking a fine line between needing to heed the result and learn some lessons but also needing to not throw the baby out with the bathwater and to retain some optimism and belief for the future. (No point thinking "we're ****ed, let's give up now, it's pointless trying".)

Possibly Gulden has suffered from something Rowbottom alluded to when speaking after winning Best Clubman. Rowbottom was asked about his growing leadership and whether he had worked on it and said no, on the contrary, that was something he had focused on too much previously when he should have been focused more on improving his own game.

He is 22 years old. I think everyone, including himself, got ahead of themselves with his progression. If we are looking for a 22 year old to be a key leader of the club, we are in trouble.

He’ll come back next year more humble and just as hard working, with new areas to work on himself and his game. Everyone else, including me, will come in with more reasonable expectations.

He is 22 years old. I think everyone, including himself, got ahead of themselves with his progression. If we are looking for a 22 year old to be a key leader of the club, we are in trouble.

He’ll come back next year more humble and just as hard working, with new areas to work on himself and his game. Everyone else, including me, will come in with more reasonable expectations.
Just work on his right foot

I hear you but I think you can read the situation another way too.

The tie was because the invite said "smart casual" and I heard Chad saying that he felt all the clubs (except Swans and Giants) "cheated" by disregarding this and wearing ties anyway.

I can't call to mind the 10 second speech after winning the Brett Kirk medal. Not surprising given it sounds like it was a blink and you'll miss it event. Possibly the broadcast didn't hang around long enough if I was watching on tv.

Reclining through the parade may have been him trying to apply advice to "soak it all in and enjoy it". Also it's a personality style. Some people are higher intensity and others are more laid back and laconic. Pendlebury is laidback but it hasn't stopped him being an excellent player and captain.

Unlike others at the B&F Gulden seemed far from a party mood and looked haunted by the GF (as he did straight after the game in the change rooms). Not surprising given the way his poor performance has been highlighted all week but he's not brushing it off. You could call this self-indulgent wallowing in misery because of your own poor performance but I think that's harsh.

He (and the other players and the club) are walking a fine line between needing to heed the result and learn some lessons but also needing to not throw the baby out with the bathwater and to retain some optimism and belief for the future. (No point thinking "we're ****ed, let's give up now, it's pointless trying".)

Possibly Gulden has suffered from something Rowbottom alluded to when speaking after winning Best Clubman. Rowbottom was asked about his growing leadership and whether he had worked on it and said no, on the contrary, that was something he had focused on too much previously when he should have been focused more on improving his own game.
All very fair points. I agree that Gulden probably needs to reevaluate himself in the leadership sphere (not necessarily abandon it altogether, but maybe consider different approaches, or even just toning it down a little while he's young and still can.) I think self-reflection is an important thing for an athlete to have and as you mention about Rowbottom, it can be beneficial.

I suppose the only question that remains is whether Gulden is capable of it. I'm not saying he's not, I don't know the guy. It seems to be assumed that it's a given Gulden will judge himself harshly and come out next year a more humbled and rounded version of himself. But I thought he played quite selfish footy at times this year that was detrimental to the team and even his own game, and was rewarded with Brownlow votes, coaches votes, best & fairest votes, media hype, fans loving him, etc. It speaks to the larger issue that I think the club has to address, which is is there a system and culture of accountability in place that will force even the best players to ask hard questions of themselves that need to be asked? I am not so sure to be honest...

All very fair points. I agree that Gulden probably needs to reevaluate himself in the leadership sphere (not necessarily abandon it altogether, but maybe consider different approaches, or even just toning it down a little while he's young and still can.) I think self-reflection is an important thing for an athlete to have and as you mention about Rowbottom, it can be beneficial.

I suppose the only question that remains is whether Gulden is capable of it. I'm not saying he's not, I don't know the guy. It seems to be assumed that it's a given Gulden will judge himself harshly and come out next year a more humbled and rounded version of himself. But I thought he played quite selfish footy at times this year that was detrimental to the team and even his own game, and was rewarded with Brownlow votes, coaches votes, best & fairest votes, media hype, fans loving him, etc. It speaks to the larger issue that I think the club has to address, which is is there a system and culture of accountability in place that will force even the best players to ask hard questions of themselves that need to be asked? I am not so sure to be honest...
My question remains "accountable for what?". Refer my previous post on how we judge B&F plus following great posts by others.

I don't have a problem with Mills being made captain when he was, but I have heard stories that suggest he is a bit of a... loose cannon, for lack of better words. This was before the Mad Monday incident, so when I heard that he'd gotten shit-faced and seriously injured himself at a pub, the very first thing I commented was, "idiot". Because I wasn't surprised.

I'll reiterate that being a loose cannon I don't think necessarily makes one a bad captain. Sir Dane is a loose cannon and the club did not fall to pieces under his captaincy, in fact it remained strong. I just don't know if it makes one a great captain, either.

Think you need to take a step back and take a few deep breaths.

Who really gives a shit if someone doesn’t wear a tie these days? It’s not the 1940s anymore.

The reason I love our club so much is that the players within aren’t the cookie cutter Melbourne based losers.

They’re all a bit unique and can be a bit loose in their own ways, Ramps and Millsy being two good examples of that.

Errol and Chad are the two now who are a bit different, which is good to see.

So how about we all just chill out for a bit and stop attacking these blokes based off the result of one game and some tv excerpts..

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21 Errol Gulden - born to play: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back