Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

I went through 15 years of watching Richo skew footballs almost at right angles from a set shot when kicking for goals. Not sure I could handle another version of that - Noah better sort out his head in front of goal or he can piss off back into defence where there's no big white sticks in front of him.
the kicking technique is horrible the way he leans and kicks a set shot that's never going to be a good kick, he looks better when he is on the run kicking a bomb.

I can see him keeping players like Lever, Moore, Sicily, Aliir occupied while Lynch comes back in as the number one target.

But is this a better use of his talent than playing down back? I guess it depends on whether Gibcus can take his place.
I actually think is a better use of his talents. Reducing the impact of the types of players you mentioned would be a huge win and he could definitely hit the scoreboard while he’s at it. Could swing back when necessary. It also keeps his mistakes away from the back half where they can kill us at times.

Balta being able to play 2nd ruck is a huge asset, means we dont have to play a lumbering type, not many fwd/2nd rucks with Baltas speed and athletic ability

Yes. But how much are we robbing Peter to Paul?

I'd love a 2nd Balta. Would give us so much more flexibility

I'm loving the new role and opportunity Yze is giving Balta. Also loved how he said its ok if he occasionally misses goals from top of square taking the pressure off him. Still remember seeing him stream down the wings bouncing the ball in the reserves in his first year. He looked like a thoroughbred. He can mark, got a great leap, lightning quick, powerful, can launch it 70m off one step. I wish he had Koutifides as a mentor because he has all the same attributes. Not gonna be an easy match up for any team.

As great a defender as he's been it was stifling him and every week guaranteed was a brainfart at a crucial time that cost a goal for no reason. He's gonna have some quiet weeks, but he's gonna be a great foil for Lynch and provide a great marking option from kick outs. Would love to see Shorty run 15-20m from fullback kick it 60m to Balta. Balta wheel around 10m launch it 60m+ to Lynch one out in the F50. Lynch should be nursed remainder of his career, no more trying to mark fullback kick outs then streaming back. Balta and Ryan/ Kozitsche can do that now.

I'm tipping after a quiet month getting used to position change, Balta will keep improving and power home to AA squad at least.

I'm loving the new role and opportunity Yze is giving Balta. Also loved how he said its ok if he occasionally misses goals from top of square taking the pressure off him. Still remember seeing him stream down the wings bouncing the ball in the reserves in his first year. He looked like a thoroughbred. He can mark, got a great leap, lightning quick, powerful, can launch it 70m off one step. I wish he had Koutifides as a mentor because he has all the same attributes. Not gonna be an easy match up for any team.

As great a defender as he's been it was stifling him and every week guaranteed was a brainfart at a crucial time that cost a goal for no reason. He's gonna have some quiet weeks, but he's gonna be a great foil for Lynch and provide a great marking option from kick outs. Would love to see Shorty run 15-20m from fullback kick it 60m to Balta. Balta wheel around 10m launch it 60m+ to Lynch one out in the F50. Lynch should be nursed remainder of his career, no more trying to mark fullback kick outs then streaming back. Balta and Ryan/ Kozitsche can do that now.

I'm tipping after a quiet month getting used to position change, Balta will keep improving and power home to AA squad at least.
He was doing this at AFL level to when we allowed him some freedom.

Played very well today in match sim. evidently.

100% about the kick ins, why not get it to wing in one go rather than the controlled kick to a dead pocket. Balta plays like an old-fashioned ruck rover, high up the ground from CHF, Kosi also if need be.

I suspect that Balta will never have the smarts of someone like JR. But if he has a fairly simple role to use his athleticism, brute power and kicking he can be very valuable.

Fit him into a system and leave him there, and he can be a really good forward. Just never that #1. Kosi or Ryan could be that. I like Ryan more TBH. Long term Balta might be a dynamic almost 3rd KPF in a system that allows him to roam and damage. As a main man, not so sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i just hope he utilises his booming boot and is told to never attempt a short pass again - then worst case if it's turned over it's down the field ....
might need to be retrained though as his first instinct is to kick short. Happened last week in our match sim, running into an open 50 and tried to short pass to the top of the square, he could have easily had a running shot from 45.

Not quite sure its a new role. It's been tried before a few times and never really worked out, or when he has done okay, he's never really done as well as he has as a defender.

But, guess we give the new coach a chance to see if he can crack the code and make it work.

I'm glad he is getting a decent go up forward, waste of a talent just playing down back. He could be anything.
No idea what "waste of a talent" means given premierships are built on elite defences, and AA quality defenders.

coming round I see ;)
Looks like Adems mind is made up so I best come to terms with it. As I said, I can see the potential but if our defence struggles again, we won't kick enough goals to win more games than we lose. Better off suring up the defence rather than the forward line IMO. Look at the premiership forward line of the pies and dees most recently, bog average, but elite defensively.

We shall see. All of a sudden Ben Miller has become an important player for us and I'm not so down with that. I heard Jack Riewoldt say yesterday he'd be playing Noah forward too.

Looks like Adems mind is made up so I best come to terms with it. As I said, I can see the potential but if our defence struggles again, we won't kick enough goals to win more games than we lose. Better off suring up the defence rather than the forward line IMO. Look at the premiership forward line of the pies and dees most recently, bog average, but elite defensively.

We shall see. All of a sudden Ben Miller has become an important player for us and I'm not so down with that. I heard Jack Riewoldt say yesterday he'd be playing Noah forward too.
You and I have been on the same page re: Miller for sometime. Man if he can hold down CHB, our list profile chnages over night. A man can dream.

jack said that? Have to take some belief from that then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #21: Noah Balta

Remove this Banner Ad

Back