21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

My first out and out Swan but I desperately need a key defender to go with Sam Taylor, especially with so many Key Defenders having been taken in the last 20 picks or so.

So with pick 168 Carlton select Ted Richards.

I was very very worried that one of Purple or theasian was going to take him :p
Richards was very close to going at my pick actually. Was a toss up between him and Frawley for FB. If the latter landed at Hawthorn earlier, or wasn't at the disaster that was Melbourne for so long, I think he'd have more accolades/recognition. But then Richards has also slipped under the radar and was one of about 7 underrated/overlooked FB's I had on my list (the other 5 had all been swept up recently).

Richards was very close to going at my pick actually. Was a toss up between him and Frawley for FB. If the latter landed at Hawthorn earlier, or wasn't at the disaster that was Melbourne for so long, I think he'd have more accolades/recognition. But then Richards has also slipped under the radar and was one of about 7 underrated/overlooked FB's I had on my list (the other 5 had all been swept up recently).

I'll be honest, my favourite most underrated Swan is Lewis Roberts-Thomson.

Was a good player in the regular season, and a weapon in Grand Finals. Should have had the Norm Smith in 2005 and was in contention for it in 2012.

I have a soft place in my heart for him and always remember him running out of defence and the commentator yelling "He is like a foal that has escaped from his paddock"

I'll be honest, my favourite most underrated Swan is Lewis Roberts-Thomson.

Was a good player in the regular season, and a weapon in Grand Finals. Should have had the Norm Smith in 2005 and was in contention for it in 2012.

I have a soft place in my heart for him and always remember him running out of defence and the commentator yelling "He is like a foal that has escaped from his paddock"
Yeah LRT had some really nice games.

Lonergan for Geelong was one of our more underrated. Very, very rarely beaten. Cray to think he even forged out a good career after the kidney injury early on.

My first out and out Swan but I desperately need a key defender to go with Sam Taylor, especially with so many Key Defenders having been taken in the last 20 picks or so.

So with pick 168 Carlton select Ted Richards.

I was very very worried that one of Purple or theasian was going to take him :p
Was certainly in the mix for my FB.

I think I have a nice mix of attributes in the line up so far:

FB: -- Frawley Stewart
HB: -- Sicily --
C: Hannebery Goodwin --
HF: -- Pavlich --
FF: -- Hogan C.Cameron
FOL: -- Selwood Harvey

I would agree.

I am not you of course, but if I had that list I think my next few picks I would be looking for speed as while those are some amazing players there is not a lot of leg speed there, or super fast ball movement.

I would agree.

I am not you of course, but if I had that list I think my next few picks I would be looking for speed as while those are some amazing players there is not a lot of leg speed there, or super fast ball movement.
Perhaps, although positionally I'd say Stewart, Hannebery, Harvey and Cameron had/have plenty of toe. And if I look back on the truly great sides of the past 30 years, did many have more than a few players with electric pace? The Brisbane, Hawthorn, Geelong's of the world. I think skills, decision making, X factor, leadership, toughness etc were all more consistent attributes. So I will still probably prioritise adding class and players elite in the contest.

Perhaps, although positionally I'd say Stewart, Hannebery, Harvey and Cameron had/have plenty of toe. And if I look back on the truly great sides of the past 30 years, did many have more than a few players with electric pace? The Brisbane, Hawthorn, Geelong's of the world.

Yes that is true, fast and accurate ball movement is more important than leg speed, though I know from experience Hannebery, while tough, was a bit of a butcherer of the ball by foot sometimes.

Yeah I also had Ted Richards as next best after Talia.
And McVeigh as my next best in that role as well.
Feels like we’re all still picking from a similar list but think it’s just about ready to diverge a bit 😅

Yeah I also had Ted Richards as next best after Talia.
And McVeigh as my next best in that role as well.
Feels like we’re all still picking from a similar list but think it’s just about ready to diverge a bit 😅

Yes there have not been many "wow that is way different to where I would have put him" moments so far. I think on average we are all fairly close in our rankings of players.

I know the next 3 players I want that I think may be available, it is just a matter of if I can get them :)

Yes there have not been many "wow that is way different to where I would have put him" moments so far. I think on average we are all fairly close in our rankings of players.

I know the next 3 players I want that I think may be available, it is just a matter of if I can get them :)
What position, and what period? Early mid or late 2000s.

I've got 3 or 4 players in mind but I think 2 of those three are going to go in the next 20-30 picks. Two mids who will likely go in the next 20-30 rounds. two defenders that could go if people know their stuff.

One midfielder who is my next pick and I'm hoping people have forgotten how supremely good he was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What position, and what period? Early mid or late 2000s.

I've got 3 or 4 players in mind but I think 2 of those three are going to go in the next 20-30 picks. Two mids who will likely go in the next 20-30 rounds. two defenders that could go if people know their stuff.

One midfielder who is my next pick and I'm hoping people have forgotten how supremely good he was.
The rest of the recent All Australians (last few seasons) I expect to be mopped up very soon. My plan wasn't to fill my team up with too many current players (more so those in the first half of their career) and it looks like a few are the same. So I think you and ArdentEagle are a good chance.

I didn't like that vision they just showed on First Crack of my man, Ben King...

Lift!

I didn't like that vision they just showed on First Crack of my man, Ben King...

Lift!
He's got enormous potential. Reminds me of the knock on Taylor Walker early.

At least you've got the GOAT playing for you :p

I'd say in his first year.

44 goals and 12 goal assists - while hitting 13 disposals and 7 marks per game - in one of the worst sides of the last 40 years.

6.2, 6.7, 5.4 and 7.6 score involvement per game seasons as a baby lamb in those dreadful Melbourne sides.

Good enough?

--

P.S solid had a tinge of sarcasm. He's obviously been elite for the past couple of seasons after being so in his early days. Only the Freo gap years were below very good.
RUNVS in the mean time you might as well just reply to this. :p

The Hogan disrespect is not forgotten.

The rest of the recent All Australians (last few seasons) I expect to be mopped up very soon. My plan wasn't to fill my team up with too many current players (more so those in the first half of their career) and it looks like a few are the same. So I think you and ArdentEagle are a good chance.
Not that many left of the really young players I'd take I think.

Reid and Darcy were more the available exceptions for mine.
I really do think they're both very special already and going to be absolute top tier.

There are two others by position I might look at depending who's left when I get more picks.

Also, a couple of defenders I remember being really good but their on paper stats aren't that sexy

Not that many left of the really young players I'd take I think.

Reid and Darcy were more the available exceptions for mine.
I really do think they're both very special already and going to be absolute top tier.

There are two others by position I might look at depending who's left when I get more picks.

Also, a couple of defenders I remember being really good but their on paper stats aren't that sexy
Can definitely relate. Rembember a defender who I think was AA, was in everyones supercoach team at one point, was the premier defender in the league but failed to even crach 150 games. You need more than just a few years of elite games.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back