Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Matt Flynn is the one that we should be targeting. Looked good in the games that I watched and is only 26.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Agree

Todd won’t be at north next year. Announcement coming today. Clarko doesn’t rate him.
Which I find strange because he actively went out of his way to have him targeted when he was the coach of Hawthorn.

In fairness it's probably harsh to say Clarkson doesn't rate him in comparison to the club doesn't want to offer a two year deal to a 35yo ruck, especially one who was supposed to start this year as back up.

It's a shame because we all know one year is fair.

Which I find strange because he actively went out of his way to have him targeted when he was the coach of Hawthorn.
Long time ago now. Round 1 this year was a big statement on the direction Clarkson would go - got sidetracked by injury but clearly Goldy was not the plan. And even for everyone unconvinced by the alternatives, by the end of this season it didn’t look like Goldy was up for being an effective #1 ruck any more for more than glimpses in games. He’s been a giant for us but if he wants more than at best another year of bit parts, and someone else is offering that, it is time to part ways.

Long time ago now. Round 1 this year was a big statement on the direction Clarkson would go - got sidetracked by injury but clearly Goldy was not the plan. And even for everyone unconvinced by the alternatives, by the end of this season it didn’t look like Goldy was up for being an effective #1 ruck any more for more than glimpses in games. He’s been a giant for us but if he wants more than at best another year of bit parts, and someone else is offering that, it is time to part ways.
40 y/o Goldy >>> Xerri/CCJ/Edwards.

There's also a belief that Goldy doesn't take instruction, as well as his attitude isn't where it needs to be

We actually pissed Hale off to Hawthorn to win flags for Clarko coz Goldy only rucks alone.

Todd won’t be at north next year. Announcement coming today. Clarko doesn’t rate him.

Inside word mate?

I always admired Clarkson from afar for his ruthless approach. But when he was linked to us, deep down I suspected there's going to be an uncomfortable time one day when its our favourites in the firing line.

We saw from Cunnington and Goldstein's omissions during the year he has no regard for sentimentality at selection time.

Or list management time.

Whilst I agree, he may have seen Goldstein as key to North's fortunes but easily put off his game so approached it like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside word mate?

I always admired Clarkson from afar for his ruthless approach. But when he was linked to us, deep down I suspected there's going to be an uncomfortable time one day when its our favourites in the firing line.

We saw from Cunnington and Goldstein's omissions during the year he has no regard for sentimentality at selection time.

Or list management time.

Whilst I agree, he may have seen Goldstein as key to North's fortunes but easily put off his game so approached it like that.
Possibly.

The fact that we’re left with Xerri and CCJ is enough to send shivers down your spine.

And even for everyone unconvinced by the alternatives, by the end of this season it didn’t look like Goldy was up for being an effective #1 ruck any more for more than glimpses in games.

Considering that for large parts of the last games we were rotating 1 ruck on 1 ruck off it shows a few things.

Goldy could not do what he has done over the course of a game.
He and X are not forwards.
1 on 1 off is not a sustainable way to play football as it denies the team a spot on the bench for a runner for periods of a game.

If we have offered a year and he is leaving for 2 then its fine. He can go be a Bradbot for a couple of years and then finish up in front of a crowd that won't really give 2 sh*ts about him.

I have little doubt that through this trade/draft period we will be bringing in another ruckman. We will have to and we probably needed to if he stayed or not.

Possibly.

The fact that we’re left with Xerri and CCJ is enough to send shivers down your spine.

I keep having this sneaking suspicion that Sean Darcy will be starting in the middle for us come Round 1 next year ... in fairness, what we would have to give up to get him sends similar shivers down my spine though ...

Possibly.

Can only guess he's taking a long term view and will let those guys sink or swim in 2024.

If he's playing for a premiership tomorrow it's Goldstein by a country mile. I think talk of Goldstein's demise has been way overstated on here.

If you think 35yo Goldie is fading, go check Xerri and CCJ's performances..

Can only guess he's taking a long term view and will let those guys sink or swim in 2024.

If he's playing for a premiership tomorrow it's Goldstein by a country mile. I think talk of Goldstein's demise has been way overstated on here.

If you think 35yo Goldie is fading, go check Xerri and CCJ's performances..

They are not mutually exclusive though.

Goldy has dipped from the colossal 5 dicked beast he once was.
X is a meataxe.
CCJ was a mistake in terms of cost and output.

all 3 of these things can be true at once.

There's also a belief that Goldy doesn't take instruction, as well as his attitude isn't where it needs to be
Fair enough. Been a few stories about Goldy over the years. Didn't realise it was that bad tbh.

Last edited:

I think that is a very good assessment of the situation with Goldy. I'm very disappointed that he looks likely to leave to get 2 years rather than 1 with us. He has been a great of our club and I certainly think he deserved a 1 year contract extension, on the proviso that he plays where his form warrants. I don't blame him for grabbing 2 years at *essendon, because clearly that's better for him financially.

However, very few footballers have "read the play" as well as Boomer did, opting for multiple 1 year deals, to end up the games record holder. If Boomer had said I want more than 1 year, at the end of each of those 1 year deals , on balance of probability he would not have that honour or it might have had to happen at another Club.

My view of Goldy's form in the latter stages of this year, was that the decline was starting to show and 1 year only was warranted. If he performed better than expected, then put his hand up for another year.

Its interesting also to look at what happened with Taz. He left for a 2 year deal, because we only initially offered 1 year. He never managed a game this year through injuries and now he is finished. Our recruiting team got that right in my opinion in only initially offering 1 year.

They are not mutually exclusive though.

Goldy has dipped from the colossal 5 dicked beast he once was.
X is a meataxe.
CCJ was a mistake in terms of cost and output.

all 3 of these things can be true at once.

Agree but it's similar to the Boomer 2016 scenario.

Boomer v2017 wasn't going to be as great as Boomer v2008.

But was Boomer v2017 superior in all aspects of the game on and off field to the alternative tripe we had on the list?

You betchya.

Inside word mate?

Or list management time.
Hey now, give him some credit. He has plenty of time for sentimentality when it comes to Daniel Howe

But was Boomer v2017 superior in all aspects of the game on and off field to the alternative tripe we had on the list?

You betchya.
We played finals in 2016. 2017 we still thought we could.

Inside word mate?

Or list management time.

Which is why I’m so surprised he never dropped Luke

You betchya.

There is a difference.

We have a one year deal on the table for Goldy right? this wasn't giving to Boomer.

Boomer did take one year deals consistently over the latter part of his career.

So it isn't just with the 24 version be better than any Ruck we have on the list, it is where do we sit with the 25 version?

The ruck is a deeper problem than giving Goldy 24. We seem willing to do that.

If Goldy leaves for a 2 year deal, then so be it. I am comfortable with us not offering 2 years. The question for Todd probably is, is a confirmed second year of a contract worth more than sitting second on the NMFC all time games played list. That is what he is giving up.

For the Club, as I posted I really think we need to add another ruckman in this draft/trade period who is better than both X or CCJ. Else we are just kicking the can down the road. It is clearly another list hole to be addressed. Goldy just effects the timing of when.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #22: Todd Goldstein - has advised NMFC he will seek opportunity at Essendon in '24 - 316 NM games/156 goals/'15 SBM/'15 AA/most hitouts in lge history

Remove this Banner Ad

Back