Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon he's out, purely speculation.
Changing management companies can’t be good for us. You’d think the offer is there on the table & he’s now looking for the best way to maximise the cash amongst our rivals.

Can only hope it’s just to help squeeze more money out of us & he wants to stay. He would have a decent idea what Griff is on & would have seen these Polec, McDonald, Stephenson etc deals the past few years. This is his big pay day.

We’ll either pay a lot to keep him or somebody else will & we’ll be pretty well compensated. Could have 3 top ten picks in this super draft. As we keep progressing as a side there will be plenty of backmen playing for clubs on the way down that will want to get on Clarko’s bus.
It will be okay either way.

Changing management companies can’t be good for us. You’d think the offer is there on the table & he’s now looking for the best way to maximise the cash amongst our rivals.

Can only hope it’s just to help squeeze more money out of us & he wants to stay. He would have a decent idea what Griff is on & would have seen these Polec, McDonald, Stephenson etc deals the past few years. This is his big pay day.

We’ll either pay a lot to keep him or somebody else will & we’ll be pretty well compensated. Could have 3 top ten picks in this super draft. As we keep progressing as a side there will be plenty of backmen playing for clubs on the way down that will want to get on Clarko’s bus.

It was the “changing management companies “ that pricked my ears.

Agreed mate

* you don't rate Butters? Bloody heck hate to read what you think of

1. Turner
  2. Spicer
  3. Taylor
  4. CCJ
  5. Xerri
  6. Young
  7. Bonar
  8. Perez
  9. Mahony
  10. Lazzaro
  11. Stevo
  12. Powell
  13. Phillps
  14. etc.

Just messin mate :)

I dispute entries #1 #11 #12 #13.

The rest I will give you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting times on this. Quite like McKay (both personality and as a player) but given we're probably a minimum of 2 years off seriously hitting our straps it will be interesting to see how we handle this and the opportunity if there is big money coming for McKay from other clubs.

It was the “changing management companies “ that pricked my ears.
Could be as simple as some frustration that his original management group couldn't get a deal done that suited his desires. You'd imagine Ben is looking at his brother's contract and thinking a bit of what about me.

End of the day though, if it's solely about money then we'll see Tier 1 compo and if our pick in the draft is top 5 (which you'd think will be likely) then we get two high picks plus whatever Port give us in the first round.

Obviously we all want Ben to stay but the mechanism to get great compo is there for us (unless the AFL provide the Roos disadvantage discount which they love to do).

Could be as simple as some frustration that his original management group couldn't get a deal done that suited his desires. You'd imagine Ben is looking at his brother's contract and thinking a bit of what about me.

End of the day though, if it's solely about money then we'll see Tier 1 compo and if our pick in the draft is top 5 (which you'd think will be likely) then we get two high picks plus whatever Port give us in the first round.

Obviously we all want Ben to stay but the mechanism to get great compo is there for us (unless the AFL provide the Roos disadvantage discount which they love to do).
AFL: End of second round compo sounds about right.

if he hasn't signed by mid year then we can probably consider him gone

and in which case we need to be already in the ear of Harry Himmelberg (Free agent)

or a cheap stop gap like Jordan Butts, Esava (out of contract)
You wouldn't pick up a free agent in the same year, it would kill our compensation which is likely to be pick 5 or lower.

You'd wear it for 12 months and then try and pick up a free agent the following year - (Brennan Cox, Jack Henry, Tom Stewart, Jake Kolodjashni, Joel Smith, Josh Battle).

if he hasn't signed by mid year then we can probably consider him gone

and in which case we need to be already in the ear of Harry Himmelberg (Free agent)

or a cheap stop gap like Jordan Butts, Esava (out of contract)

If he leaves on good money, then we'd be insane to target a free agent as it will be a top 5 compensation pick. Logue was worth a start of second round pick. We'd be better off finding the draft capital to trade rather than lose the compensation.

Of course, just because someone is a free agent doesn't mean you have to take them under free agency. We traded Robbie Tarrant to Richmond as I recall as it worked best for both clubs (allegedly) to avoid free agency.
yep true, gws could force a trade/agree with us that a trade would be a win win

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back