Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Just quietly but we're three weeks into this season and the backline has held up alright without him for the most part.

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as some think if he were to leave. Granted i'd much rather see him and Logue be locks for 5+ years back there, but you can't force a bloke to sign.

Course you can't force him to sign, but if I were him I'd feel as if I owed the club for sticking fat, despite the many thrashings.

He himself also said the environment at the club is the best it's ever been, so it'd be a really weird decision to leave just as things are looking up. Maybe the trauma is too much, idk, but I'll be very disappointed if he does go. None of our shorter 'tall' defenders are gonna magically turn into Josh Gibson

Last edited:
Just quietly but we're three weeks into this season and the backline has held up alright without him for the most part.

I don't think it's as doom and gloom as some think if he were to leave. Granted i'd much rather see him and Logue be locks for 5+ years back there, but you can't force a bloke to sign.

We haven’t played any sides with a quality forward line. I will be surprised if Curnow and McKay don’t kick 10 between them.

Larkey, LDU and McKay right now are the 3 players we just can’t afford to lose.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Good compensation (assuming we even get that and i'd be f*cking stunned if the AFL didn't tweak their magic formula to ruin it coincidentally this year) would soften the blow a bit.

But only a bit.

It would sting pretty god damned hard that we have him for the better part of a decade, work with him through a plethora of injuries, FINALLY get everything in order (head coach, assistants, game plan, talent, front office) that success is very possible during the peak of his career, then he leaves.

We can't possibly be offering him chump change, he's said himself he's not as keen as people assume to play with his brother (or so i recall, could be wrong), so what is it then?

And it's not necessarily about him owing us, players come and go, but f*ck me, thats still a bitter pill to swallow.

I don't want him to leave of course, but he might just want a fresh start, I could understand that, he hasn't really had a good run at it with us for a host of reasons. You'd expect a heap of clubs would be chasing him so we'd get good compo for him.

If our development is any good, they should be turning Dawson into a decent replacement.

I don't want him to leave of course, but he might just want a fresh start, I could understand that, he hasn't really had a good run at it with us for a host of reasons. You'd expect a heap of clubs would be chasing him so we'd get good compo for him.

If our development is any good, they should be turning Dawson into a decent replacement.
I feel like market for Logue last year confirms there’s a fair chase out there for quality key defenders.

Price tag of McKay probably reduces it slightly but no doubt there will be plenty of clubs with him on their radar.

It was the “changing management companies “ that pricked my ears.
100%

Almost every time a soccer player does this it spells bad news. Especially when it's Phoenix to TLA and this late into negotiations.

TLA is the place you stay at if you're happy remaining at your current club. The only big time deal they've really been involved in was Papley and they couldn't get the deal he wanted in 2019. They also couldn't get Ratugolea to Adelaide. Besides Sam Walsh, Sicily, and Darcy they don't really manage high end talent. They pick up the Paddy McCartin second chance types and the Lazzaro's of the league.

As others have said, I'm not overly concerned if he does decide to go. Clarkson's the type that finds the Sam Collins types and turns them into very solid players because the system works. Clarkson even turned undersized defenders in Gibson and Sicily into gems.

In saying that I think Logue and McKay could become the best defensive pairing in the league. The defensive version of McKay and Curnow.

I do think McKay is set to go another gear this year but I do worry about his injury record. He's only put 1 full season together and he's had 3-4 concussions. The concussion buildup and previous question marks over his love of the game do worry me.

Probably need to bring in a Phillips type mid season draft, a 2-3 year away type in the 20-40 draft range and a development kpd if McKay was to leave.

This along with a smooth mover on the wing, a highly rated KPF, a dynamic small forward (Watson) and probably another development KPF to correct the list.

I just think we need to be hard headed about this, as our record with long term contracts is not great. I doubt whether LMac would have gotten the deal he has at any other club, and I suspect (but obviously don’t know for a fact) that we would have paid a premium to get Corr and then Logue.

If we look at Ben’s situation, taking away his development years, he’s played 48 of 69 games, and it will be 71 games (minimum) before he gets back. Taking 71 as the denominator, that’s an availability percentage of 68% - okay, but not great. He and his manager arent fools - this is obviously his pay day, and on that basis I guess their starting point would be a 6 year deal, and definitely a minimum of 5 years.

With his modest availability record, I definitely wouldn’t go to 6, and the 5th (if we offer it) would have to be performance based or at a lower rate on a front ended deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I like how this thread is shaping people are questioning the validity of offering up the world to a guy who’s stats are no better than Logues.
2nd rounder got him across.

We’re in a win/win situation and it’s kind of exciting.

McKay likes to be the number 1 defender and has struggled in the past with other talls.
It didn’t gel with Tarrant and also Logie, a small sample obviously.

All good though

Yes I like how this thread is shaping people are questioning the validity of offering up the world to a guy who’s stats are no better than Logues.
2nd rounder got him across.

We’re in a win/win situation and it’s kind of exciting.

McKay likes to be the number 1 defender and has struggled in the past with other talls.
It didn’t gel with Tarrant and also Logie, a small sample obviously.

All good though
This is the only thing that worries me . However Ben was younger when he was playing with Tarrant so let Tarrant dictate things. Now it's up to Mckay and Logue to work and gel together and only time will help this...

Having the best midfield in the league in 18 months time will help too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Ben McKay - gone to * as RFA - NMFC awarded Band 1 pick #3 compo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back