Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

You're literally making this up. No one said "they're going to immediately solve our issues". I said it was good to have the issue that its tough to get a spot in the forward line.

"I'm just being realistic". Look at the effect your comment had on DesertRoo and realise it has the same effect on the general discourse of anyone who comes in here to comment.

You choose to take the "realistic view" that because they're not star players already its not worth talking about any positives their contributions to our list could achieve. That having them on the list doesn't create pressure that could push everyone to perform better. Great, they could potentially not make it. But they potentially could be good players. You're choosing to take a shit view of it and claiming you're the one being realistic.

If your default of "realistic" is negative, you need therapy.
lol, nah apollo_creed is all good, we understand each other.
we're in a bit of a bind, where 20 year olds are going to have to step up to the plate next year. he's trying to temper expectations.
but these kids don't have the luxury of plying their trade in the twos for a bit. as we play the same forward structure we have in the past, we're looking at another 4 a season win.
unfortunately its crunch time for Clarko, Brady and co and these guys are the ones brought in to fix structural messes that have been created by mismanagement.

I for one, am on the 20 year old side, cause if they fail, and we have to rebuild again, we're fooked.

Last edited:
but it's not tough to get a spot in the forward line. it's still going to be a conveyor belt until someone actually grabs the spot and establishes themselves. in recent years it hasn't been tough and from a small forward perspective you need multiple performing players for it to be 'tough'.

again, you're the one talking like we've got a problem in terms of depth when at this point in time have zero performing small forwards. hence why we got Payne in the PSD and brought Konstanty in. both cases the price was low so I have no issues from a recruiting perspective but I'm not going to proclaim that it's tough to get a spot until we actually have at least one performing small forward.

realistic in my case is saying to temper expectations and predictions until they have played a few games. I haven't written anyone off except RHJ.
You’re not “tempering expectations “

You’re discouraging hope and discounting the benefit of friendly competition between athletes.

Your contention is essentially “they might not be good players so let’s not get our hopes up”.

It’s harder for Geordie to get a game now. You can disagree with me all your like, take it up with maths. You can guarantee both of those kids and RHJ want to be stars. You can guarantee they’ll be looking at each other thinking they need to be better than the other.

That’s good motivation to push harder and be the best players they can be to get a spot.

That’s literally what was being discussed and sorry none of that is up for rational debate. It’s facts.

Your “realistic” pessimism serves no purpose other than stop fans of a footy club from being hopeful that one of these kids can play decent footy.

I’ll call a spade a spade, I think that’s a pathetic mindset.

You’re not “tempering expectations “

You’re discouraging hope and discounting the benefit of friendly competition between athletes.

Your contention is essentially “they might not be good players so let’s not get our hopes up”.

It’s harder for Geordie to get a game now. You can disagree with me all your like, take it up with maths. You can guarantee both of those kids and RHJ want to be stars. You can guarantee they’ll be looking at each other thinking they need to be better than the other.

That’s good motivation to push harder and be the best players they can be to get a spot.

That’s literally what was being discussed and sorry none of that is up for rational debate. It’s facts.

Your “realistic” pessimism serves no purpose other than stop fans of a footy club from being hopeful that one of these kids can play decent footy.

I’ll call a spade a spade, I think that’s a pathetic mindset.
the crazy thing is there's a spot for the three of them in the forward line, have a look at the hawks to see what small forwards can do to a team, it would probably be more functional with the fleet a foot kids.
they just need to work together and hit the scoreboard. workrate is key, something the incumbents need to learn

this time next year and we could honestly be looking at off loading a couple of our highly rated/high draft capital, mid sized forwards.

the crazy thing is there's a spot for the three of them in the forward line, have a look at the hawks to see what small forwards can do to a team, it would probably be more functional with the fleet a foot kids.
they just need to work together and hit the scoreboard. workrate is key, something the incumbents need to learn

this time next year and we could honestly be looking at off loading a couple of our highly rated/high draft capital, mid sized forwards.
You can certainly do it. And part of me thinks it would work better for modern footy, just like we see it work for the Hawks.

But the flip side is you've invested heavily in to Larkey, Darling and the two mediums in CZ and PC.

Which is an interesting proposition. Do you drop one of those? two of those? if the kids do get up and going?

You're literally making this up. No one said "they're going to immediately solve our issues". I said it was good to have the issue that its tough to get a spot in the forward line.

"I'm just being realistic". Look at the effect your comment had on DesertRoo and realise it has the same effect on the general discourse of anyone who comes in here to comment.

You choose to take the "realistic view" that because they're not star players already its not worth talking about any positives their contributions to our list could achieve. That having them on the list doesn't create pressure that could push everyone to perform better. Great, they could potentially not make it. But they potentially could be good players. You're choosing to take a shit view of it and claiming you're the one being realistic.

If your default of "realistic" is negative, you need therapy.

It's constant with this poster. You should read the shit he posted in the Teakle thread.

You can certainly do it. And part of me thinks it would work better for modern footy, just like we see it work for the Hawks.

But the flip side is you've invested heavily in to Larkey, Darling and the two mediums in CZ and PC.

Which is an interesting proposition. Do you drop one of those? two of those? if the kids do get up and going?
yes, yes and yes.
if they're underperforming drop their arses, its been far to long with north players getting to pick and choose when they go, with no consequences.
if two twenty year olds are taking the place of guys who've been in the system for a number of years that aint a twenty year old problem.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #23: Geordie Payne - Pick 1 2024 MSD - Welcome to NM!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back