Player Watch #?: Luke Parker - Welcome to North Melbourne - Konstanty and Parker traded for Pick 44

Remove this Banner Ad

Our notion that they're obliged to just give us a wanted player for peanuts (pick 62) because he's old is ludicrous.

So is their notion that he's worth pick 25.

Both of these things are true. When clubs were sniffing around Higgo we'd be livid if they dug their heels in and offered a pick in the 60s.
Hence Future 3rd should be the compromise

Which will help them with points for any academy players next year

You trade the future 3rd not 44

Using Pick 44 for this trade, ignores the fact that it is more than likely that will be a pick down in the 30's after Brisbane and *essendon use some of their traded in picks in the 30's to secure Ashcroft, the other Academy Pick whose name escapes me and Kako.

If the Tigers don't try to take Ashcroft at 1, we should definitely bid on him at 2, because the more that they and *essendon have to use up - are there any other clubs in this category? - potentially the better our Pick 44 will become and for that matter, so will Pick 62.

Brisbane have picks 27, 34, 42 and 43 ahead of our pick 44 while *essendon have picks 28,31 and 40 ahead of 44. That represents a net reduction in Pick 44 by 5 to Pick 39, if I understand how the draft works.
That depends if they have to use all those picks to cover the bids.

There are other f/s prospects too aren't there?

That depends if they have to use all those picks to cover the bids.

There are other f/s prospects too aren't there?

Yes that's right. The earliest possible bid on Ashcroft is most likely to see Brisbane use up most of those picks before our Pick 44.

In our case bidding on him at 2, will require 2014 points to match, which will take up all of 34 and above plus a bit extra, while if Richmond bid on him, all of their current picks will be wiped out.

If Marshall receives a bid around 22 to 24 they are going to need some extra points in the order of 650, which means they will have to dip into future picks.

The bottom line is that Brisbane has just won the flag. Other clubs should be looking to make them pay the highest possible price, without sacrificing their own requirements, in order to try to prevent Brisbane from getting even stronger.

Dwayne Russell has been banging on about in the case of Ashcroft, clubs should not bid on him at any higher than what they thinks he is actually worth. I say if a club thinks he is in the top 5 of the draft, why not bid on him at 1 in the case of Richmond. Brisbane is sure to match, but if for some strange reason they didn't then Richmond will still have a very good player, who may even turn out to be the best anyway. The same applies to us. Make them pay.

It's interesting that when West Coast forced us to pay more years ago by making an early bid everyone blamed Simmo for it. Yet here when Swans are acting like absolute dicks everyone blames some new list manager instead of pointing the finger at their coach, a once favourite son of our club who is meant to be mates with Clarko too by the way.
Wasn't this the same favourite son who played off a possibility of returning to North as coach to force Sydney to boost his own contact?

Or do I remember that incorrectly?

One of the deals that's LEAST likely to get done by tonight's deadline is Luke Parker's desired move from Sydney to North Melbourne.

Riley Beveridge tells AFL Trade Radio that Sydney hasn't made any counter-offers to North, believing that the ball remains in the Roos' court given they've lured the player.

Wow, surely this gets done for a F3..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get this done, Swans have nothing better to do as they've done nothing the whole trade period. Missing out on Parker would be really disappointing

Yes that's right. The earliest possible bid on Ashcroft is most likely to see Brisbane use up most of those picks before our Pick 44.

In our case bidding on him at 2, will require 2014 points to match, which will take up all of 34 and above plus a bit extra, while if Richmond bid on him, all of their current picks will be wiped out.

If Marshall receives a bid around 22 to 24 they are going to need some extra points in the order of 650, which means they will have to dip into future picks.

The bottom line is that Brisbane has just won the flag. Other clubs should be looking to make them pay the highest possible price, without sacrificing their own requirements, in order to try to prevent Brisbane from getting even stronger.

Dwayne Russell has been banging on about in the case of Ashcroft, clubs should not bid on him at any higher than what they thinks he is actually worth. I say if a club thinks he is in the top 5 of the draft, why not bid on him at 1 in the case of Richmond. Brisbane is sure to match, but if for some strange reason they didn't then Richmond will still have a very good player, who may even turn out to be the best anyway. The same applies to us. Make them pay.
Pardon the intrusion (I came on here to see alternative perspectives on the Parker deal).

Coming from a club with an academy that will hopefully be producing talent for years to come, I just wanted to say that I wholeheartedly appreciate clubs making us earn it.

I would expect Sydney to do the same for players from other academies - so long as we were happy to take the player if the other club didn’t match.

Also, c’mon North - offer pick 44 or F3 and we can have a win-win-win from the Parker trade! :p

Of course, there may have been an agreement between Richmond and Brisbane over bidding when they completed their trade of picks a few days ago.

I agree Horace, make them pay. Essendon now has committed to taking Kako, I’d bid on him too. It’s overs to bid at 2 but what are they going to do, not take him? If they held 9 there’s an outside chance they don’t but now they have to.

It's true, they are absolutely screwed, having traded out of the top 30 picks. Same goes for Gold Coast. They have to match any bid that comes in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #?: Luke Parker - Welcome to North Melbourne - Konstanty and Parker traded for Pick 44

Remove this Banner Ad

Back