AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Get on your bike boy. Been a liability tonight and just clogging up the F50
you don’t reckon his work has helped our full forward have seven shots on goal to half time?

lol - “clogging up the F50”

You're not watching the same game then.

Doing a mountain of work off the ball to help Wright isolate his defender and get a run at the footy.

Maybe I'm not seeing him do as much, know he is capable of more. Want to see him taking marks around 40 - 65m from goal. Have hardly noticed him. 2 possessions, 1 mark

Maybe I'm not seeing him do as much, know he is capable of more. Want to see him taking marks around 40 - 65m from goal. Have hardly noticed him. 2 possessions, 1 mark
Watch Wright in pack situations and see Draper/Bryan/Jones blocking for him or leading their opponent away to give Wright a run at the footy.

We have identified a mismatch of Barass on Wright and are exploiting it well. If Wright (and the team at that) could kick for shit tonight we would have handy buffer at the moment

Watch Wright in pack situations and see Draper/Bryan/Jones blocking for him or leading their opponent away to give Wright a run at the footy.

We have identified a mismatch of Barass on Wright and are exploiting it well. If Wright (and the team at that) could kick for s**t tonight we would have handy buffer at the moment
will try to keep an eye out more for this. Thanks Grizz:thumbsu:

Is still not leading up at the ball carrier - He's playing school yard footy like J.Daniher often does, except, JD has more natural talent - Don't tell I cant see anything watching on TV, seeing that nearly everyone posting tonight watched on TV

Is still not leading up at the ball carrier - He's playing school yard footy like J.Daniher often does, except, JD has more natural talent - Don't tell I cant see anything watching on TV, seeing that nearly everyone posting tonight watched on TV
This is what I was referring to in my initial post tonight. The disconnect between the forwards and the mids was firmly on those half forwards (Jones, Snelling, Langford for parts, Martin).

A few times he was the only one out the back and he had to turn and lead hard back at the ball. Instead he kept running towards to flank calling for it on his head.

This is what I was referring to in my initial post tonight. The disconnect between the forwards and the mids was firmly on those half forwards (Jones, Snelling, Langford for parts, Martin).

Jones is four games back - All his goals, except for one, have been in general play - Taking marks on the lead achieves three results - It gives you easy possessions, movement creates space and it makes defenders reluctant to sag off Wright. Hopefully, I see better forward craft from Jones in the future.

Last edited:
Must admit spent half the game feeling sorry for Harry. Hard to get the ball kicked to you when the entire team seem to be obsessed with kicking it to Peter Wright. No wonder he was always in the same marking contest because no one would just lower their eyes and kick it to him!

Must admit spent half the game feeling sorry for Harry. Hard to get the ball kicked to you when the entire team seem to be obsessed with kicking it to Peter Wright. No wonder he was always in the same marking contest because no one would just lower their eyes and kick it to him!
Would also help if he actually got on his bike and actually led up at the ball once in a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would also help if he actually got on his bike and actually led up at the ball once in a while.
Yeah that’s kind of my point, that he probably gave up leading because it was always going to Peter Wright. That and probably our terrible ball movement has hung him out to dry. He is at his best when he’s running back and doubles back for short leads and makes 2-3 leads in one go. Haven’t seen him do this or be used in this way much since he’s been back.

Yeah that’s kind of my point, that he probably gave up leading because it was always going to Peter Wright. That and probably our terrible ball movement has hung him out to dry. He is at his best when he’s running back and doubles back for short leads and makes 2-3 leads in one go. Haven’t seen him do this or be used in this way much since he’s been back.
There’s a few times that he’s been the only option and still hasn’t done it. Regardless Of wright he should always be doing it because if you aren’t be used you’re creating space, it’s poor forward play just to sit there and create congestion.

Let’s not forget he has only played 19 games. He has also missed lots of games with foot and ankle injuries and had an interrupted preseason. This has affected his
fitness and running power, he will get better with continuity of games played.
Also our forward line is so dysfunctional that it seems like nobody knows when to lead or who should be leading at any given time. Who is our forwards coach, as he has not got the forwards playing together to any form of game plan except to slow it down, let opposition flood back and kick it on forwards head.

Least effective player on the ground today from both sides. He needs to go back to the VFL. We'd be better served by playing the 2nd ruck. Jones needs to either work on his tank to get heaps of marks around the ground and create space for 2MP or work in the gym to be stronger and latch onto more marks in front of goal.

2MP, 2nd ruck, Langford as lead up half forward, Stringer as 3rd forward with X-factor who can impact centre bounces and two tackle machines that win ground balls and can hit the score board is our best mix up forward.

Jones needs to either replace Langford or be as effective as a marking forward as 2MP and we could then play 2MP as 2nd ruck.

Big pre season coming up for Jonesy, nearly 10kg under sized I reckon…
Seriously? Yeah, he needs a bit more size but you want him low 90's rather than high 90's otherwise you rob some of his mobility. Both Riewoldt's hovered around the 90-94 mark for most of their careers. That's the area he should be.

He had a bad game but still found a way to contribute. I'm hoping that he'll have an easier time of it against guys like Ballard (93 kg), Dean/Kelly (86/93), Idun (89), Jonas (90 kg) and Gibcus (87) over the rest of the season. Adams will be tough for him next week if he doesn't get on his bike, as will Walker when we play North.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back