AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Big pre season coming up for Jonesy, nearly 10kg under sized I reckon…
Another 5kg maybe but he is a leading mobile forward. Why does everyone want to turn mobile KP players into giant plunkers.

Does this lend us to needing a 198cm + CHF?
Wright's still only 25 with a pretty good injury history. Probably still has 6/7 years left.

I said CHF not FF (I like 2MP out of the square)
I don't see why we need one/ Over the next couple of years he probably gets to that 93/94 kg mark the Riewoldt's spent most of their careers at, who are similar to what style of forward he is.

I don't see why we need one/ Over the next couple of years he probably gets to that 93/94 kg mark the Riewoldt's spent most of their careers at, who are similar to what style of forward he is.
As I mentioned, Jones is playing more like a flanker than a true CHF hence the suggestion of looking at finding one to develop.

As I mentioned, Jones is playing more like a flanker than a true CHF hence the suggestion of looking at finding one to develop.
He plays as a lead up CHF that is reasonable one on one.

Does this lend us to needing a 198cm + CHF?
Not really.
Jones has shown last year he is more than capable as a lead up CHF . You do not need to be 198cm plus.

Last edited:
Lacking a bit of power in his legs at the moment. Two kicks fell well short and isn't jumping like he was.
Understandable with the injuries he has had.

Keep persisting with him as he needs exposure at the level to make up for the time he has missed.
Has also kicked 2 goals a game for the 3 weeks prior.
He will be ok

Another 5kg maybe but he is a leading mobile forward. Why does everyone want to turn mobile KP players into giant plunkers.
Exactly. This ended Stewart's promising progression in 2017. We need mobile marking players. We have a solid 200cm forward and a 193cm raging bull,. That is enough, not to mention resting ruckmen.

What Essendon has been severely lacking over the last 17 years of mediocre is a tall forward who gets on his bike and draws tall defenders away from the other talls.

I believe Jones needs a huge preseason, but unlike the dude you quoted it needs to be on the running track. All strength work should be in the legs and core so his groins, hips and feet hold up to hard running.

Has missed a lot of footy and heaps of preseason and he’s become a number 2 this year much harder than being the 3rd tall. Should’ve been given a couple of marking contests frees in the 4th qtr, he’ll start clunking them again eventually.

Has missed a lot of footy and heaps of preseason and he’s become a number 2 this year much harder than being the 3rd tall. Should’ve been given a couple of marking contests frees in the 4th qtr, he’ll start clunking them again eventually.

Got his arms chopped AND punched in the head in the same marking contest with no free kick. Needs to work on his dramatic flailing.

He’s only played about 20 games and missed a fair chunk of footy at end of last year and start of this year. I would like to see him hold a few more marks but he is coming along fine.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seriously? Yeah, he needs a bit more size but you want him low 90's rather than high 90's otherwise you rob some of his mobility. Both Riewoldt's hovered around the 90-94 mark for most of their careers. That's the area he should be.

He had a bad game but still found a way to contribute. I'm hoping that he'll have an easier time of it against guys like Ballard (93 kg), Dean/Kelly (86/93), Idun (89), Jonas (90 kg) and Gibcus (87) over the rest of the season. Adams will be tough for him next week if he doesn't get on his bike, as will Walker when we play North.

I’m going by the old metric of height (in cm) minus 100 equals approximate ideal playing weight (obviously slightly role dependent). According to our website he is 196cm and 88kg. Some other key forwards of note:

Harry McKay - 204cm/104kg
Charlie Curnow - 192cm/96kg
Tom Lynch - 199cm/100kg
Jeremy Cameron - 196cm/96kg
Tom Hawkins - 198cm/103kg
Ben Brown - 200cm/101kg
Lance Franklin - 199cm/106kg
Jack Riewoldt - 193cm/92kg
Brody Mihocek - 192cm/97kg
Aaron Naughton - 195cm/93kg

Most of those key forwards are around that metric (or weigh more) so mid to high 90’s wouldn’t be out of the ordinary.

Not really.
Jones has shown last year he is more than capable as a lead up CHF . You do not need to be 198cm plus.
Besides which people get hung up height…what is he 195cm? A whole one inch shorter than the 198 cm CHF being proposed!

On top of that he’s long armed, springy and as honest you get with his jumping. He is a better aerialist that many who are taller.

Armspan for a given height is important too. I’m 189 with 191 armspan but others my height have like a 195+ armspan which could equate to an extra inch of reach in a marking contest.

Harry seems like he’s got pretty long arms.

I’m going by the old metric of height (in cm) minus 100 equals approximate ideal playing weight (obviously slightly role dependent). According to our website he is 196cm and 88kg. Some other key forwards of note:

Harry McKay - 204cm/104kg
Charlie Curnow - 192cm/96kg
Tom Lynch - 199cm/100kg
Jeremy Cameron - 196cm/96kg
Tom Hawkins - 198cm/103kg
Ben Brown - 200cm/101kg
Lance Franklin - 199cm/106kg
Jack Riewoldt - 193cm/92kg
Brody Mihocek - 192cm/97kg
Aaron Naughton - 195cm/93kg

Most of those key forwards are around that metric (or weigh more) so mid to high 90’s wouldn’t be out of the ordinary.

You make a good point. As he develops a more mature body he will add some more weight on.

Good pressure to nail Pendles. Not many talls in the competition would be able to go with him. Shame about the kick but that’s life, a few more preseasons and he’ll be fresh enough to kick it.

He's a choker. Was evident when he couldn't break the duck and it's happened again. Can't rely on him when it matters.
21 year old misses a set shot by a matter of centimetres.

Seriously, get a grip

Good pressure to nail Pendles. Not many talls in the competition would be able to go with him. Shame about the kick but that’s life, a few more preseasons and he’ll be fresh enough to kick it.
Yup.
Gym time, and some more shots at goal, he'll be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #23: Harrison Jones - Clocks up 50th game v Gold Coast - 5/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back