Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Not on his form this year but some other's might think he is. We got Will Fordham in the rookie draft and his form has been excellent.

That we did.

If the recent news that he has found some confidence in his body is accurate, then he'll take big strides next year.

Would love him to stay another year - especially with the sole connection with Werribee next year. Could really help the development of some of our reserves players with North Ballarat disappearing.

Little keys says g'day from Geelong.
Little keys grew up barracking for the Cats and agreed to join the Cats. I can see Harper being given another year on the senior list anyway. We stuck fat with Hansen and Tarrant and they are and have paid dividends so why can't Harper be another story?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From all reports are this year is a thin trade year........Give him another year, we've been very patient with Hansen, Tarrant I think we owe it to ourselves to keep Harper for one more year. He is trying .
Agree, he is only 22, and has played 40 games......Tarrant has only just notched up 50!!!!

Not on his form this year but some other's might think he is. We got Will Fordham in the rookie draft and his form has been excellent.
Keep for another year. Shallow draft, YES HE IS worth more than a 4th round pick. How many 18yo, fourth round picks come straight in and play AFL? Harper is young, and we know what his upside is. Look at Mitch Wilkins, never even looked like it at any level and he was what pick 46???? Gysberts??? pfffftttt. Max Warren??? Yet another year as a rookie, most rookies have graduated to seniors or full time VFL by now. Considering where the playing list is at at this point in time, not even first round draft picks will walk into the side (none of last years drafts picks have played a game, LMAC top 10 from the year before has had an indifferent season etc). The fact that Harper is still young should earn him another year. I sincerely hope he finishes the year strong, gets a full pre-season, and is handed the jersey for all the NAB cub games. Really seems like a confidence player, even a tad nervous being interviewed and the sort of person who may just take a little longer to mature and build his confidence. As long as he does all the right things on and off the track, I really want him to get another year.

Deserving a spot yes but this one might come Down to a "future for the Club call" we have Turner and Garner who are young in the same position With Bright futures Ahead............then it comes Down to him and Harper we can still roll the dice on Harper but again that decision would be made on knowlege internally from the medico's and those who do say "phyc analysis" I would assume there would be one floating about the Club monitoring how players perform during their down periods

Fair enough, but for me nahas offers more than Harper , Harper needs to offer more than what his giving and that's at vfl level..

Reckon will be delisted then rookied.

That gives us an opportunity to draft someone else, whilst not losing Harper.

In fact I think we will turn over quite a few players through retirements and delistings this off season.

Reckon will be delisted then rookied.

That gives us an opportunity to draft someone else, whilst not losing Harper.

In fact I think we will turn over quite a few players through retirements and delistings this off season.
Would Carlton or Brisbane grab him as a Rookie first? They both need a big bodied X factor type... they actually need a lot more than that ;)

Would Carlton or Brisbane grab him as a Rookie first? They both need a big bodied X factor type... they actually need a lot more than that ;)

That potentially could happen in the Delaney type scenario.

I think we would be prepared to risk it though, even if it happened we get a chance to rookie someone else.

Reality is that it is very difficult as a 23 year old who hasn't really been in the side for 3 odd years to come back, it is not just the physical challenges, it is the mental/psychological challenges. Most players find the mind battle a lot harder than the struggle with the body. If the mind says no, the body will never deliver.

I know what you mean; but jesus. If menzel can do it...

That potentially could happen in the Delaney type scenario.

I think we would be prepared to risk it though, even if it happened we get a chance to rookie someone else.

Prefer he just stay on the list.

One spot isn't hurting anyone.

With Grima and Adams both gone and probably McMahon as well, we don't need to cut anyone.

Prefer he just stay on the list.

One spot isn't hurting anyone.

With Grima and Adams both gone and probably McMahon as well, we don't need to cut anyone.

No we don't "need" to, but I think the more chances we give new players the better.

Making him a rookie might sting him into action, who knows. Either way freeing up list spots to bring other talent is my preferred path, whilst it also mean Harper stays at the club rather than completely delisted.

There are enough reasons imo to retain Kieran on the senior list on a 1 year deal.

Firstly and most importantly - he's extremely talented. On his day he's capable of things only elite players can produce. The problem has been getting him on the park and getting him involved enough to show it.

The change in coaching and club philosophy in recent months means I'd like to see some of the talented types who haven't put together much of a career thus far get another chance under this regime. That includes Kieran.

He's also had a heap of injury problems, even Wells who is no stranger to the medical room went out of his way to explain how stuffed Harper's ankles were for an explosive player a year ago. If he's over these then we may just see his best in the future. And his major football knock of not finding the pill looks to be getting slowly addressed, certainly 19 touches in the clinches for a player of his offensive ability is a very nice indicator of moving in the right direction.

Lastly and maybe of equal importance to the first point, Kieran Harper is not some typical cocky AFL smartarse. The kid has been well documented as having serious confidence issues and when you throw in how his body has broken down in the past and him being thrown around as trade bait - I don't think he needs the jolt of being delisted and rookied to wake him up. He needs to become more comfortable in his body and place at the club imo. We know he's a cultural fit for the club so if he can get his confidence up, find more of the pill onfield and keep getting fitter then it's a no brainer for me - give him another year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #23: Kieran Harper - delisted by the club (29/10) - will miss '16 VAFA season, surgery on ankle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back