Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/le...t-talks-continue/story-fndv8rij-1227074360180

interesting reading..."Industry sources estimated Greenwood, 25, was worth about $350,000 a season the back of his dazzling onball performance this season.
But it is believed North’s contract is worth significantly less and includes performance-based incentives.....North Melbourne has increased its offer to Greenwood from one season to two."
We were only offering 1 year deal initially??..FMD

This board, last page. There's some serious over rating of greenhead going on here. The guy has improved, but let's not get too carried away.

This board, last page. There's some serious over rating of greenhead going on here. The guy has improved, but let's not get too carried away.

While I agree that paying half a million a season is pretty steep, his improvement and importance to the team is well above the initial one year sub $350k deal we put forward initially, if the article is accurate of course.

With the key midfield injuries we had, I think it is fair to say we certainly would have come up short if not for Levi's development. His last quarter, for example, in our Final win versus the Bombers was massive. There has been obviously plenty of water under the bridge since early contract negotiations (late May and prior to that) and that has clearly driven up what Levi and Pickers think he deserves.

Contract negotiations can be a strange beast and it looks like there has been a bit of distance to be closed between both parties wants. Hopefully we can get something completed very shortly that pleases both sides.

Last edited:

shirley this can't be serious

We just watched yet another grand final won by the balance of tackling and pressure and inside ball winning ability. we have a guy verging on elite at this balance. reaching the peak playing age, who complements Cunnington and Swallow and we let him walk because we want money for Shaun higgins?

can't be true. it would just be absolutley freakin ridiculous for us to let Greenwood go and pay more for Higgins or Waite or Montagna.

these statements that he needed development are just rubbish. he always played like this but for some inexplicable reason we didn't play him .

these statements that he needed development are just rubbish. he always played like this but for some inexplicable reason we didn't play him .
I disagree. He always had most of the traits he displayed this year, but he displayed a new level this year that exceeded anything he displayed in previous years, except in small patches. His field kicking improved immensely from Adam Simpson-esque floaters to no-one to weighted kicks to an intended target and his goal kicking improved immensely from the guy who admitted 'that' winning goal against Brisbane was a fluke because his goal-kicking sucked. I would assume his overall positioning around stoppages and the ground impressed a lot more too.

Those inclined to criticise the coaching staff/match committee will say he would have done this with an extended go at it earlier. Those, like me, who are more inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt will say he kept his spot when he did what was required/at the level and consistency required.

Normally I'm right with ya OE but respectively disagree on this one.

Greenwood has been held to higher standards than his teammates for reasons that are only know by the football department.

The guy gives it his all, deserves a decent 3 year deal. FFS North. Hope this is all just media posturing. :(

Normally I'm right with ya OE but respectively disagree on this one.

Greenwood has been held to higher standards than his teammates for reasons that are only know by the football department.

The guy gives it his all, deserves a decent 3 year deal. FFS North. Hope this is all just media posturing. :(

Yep, a decent 3 year deal. Spot on KC.

I'm flabbergasted that we would even insult him with a one year deal. In fact, I outright don't believe it!

If true, he should just walk out. There'd be 17 clubs after him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What examples are you thinking of KC?

On a quick recall I'd say in the last few years that Bastinac, Ziebell, Anthony (earlier on), Gibson, Jacobs, Wells, Thomas, Adams, Wright, Goldstein, MacMillan have all been allowed more leeway for their shortcomings and fluffs than Levi Greenwood and either held their spots or got promoted in spite of these weaknesses.

If there were 17 clubs after Levi do you think there may have been some rumblings? I can't recall any.

Has he been linked with anyone else?

On a quick recall I'd say in the last few years that Bastinac, Ziebell, Anthony (earlier on), Gibson, Jacobs, Wells, Thomas, Adams, Wright, Goldstein, MacMillan have all been allowed more leeway for their shortcomings and fluffs than Levi Greenwood and either held their spots or got promoted in spite of these weaknesses.
Of those, I'd agree, to an extent, with Bastinac, Ziebell, Macmillan and Adams. I suspect Basti in particular could have benefitted from similar treatment and Jack could have done with a bit of a kick up the arse at times re his disposal which has, at times, been worse than anything Levi dished up.

Of the remainder, most are more or less of the 'irreplaceable' or 'no direct substitute' type and I'm not convinced their minimum necessarily warranted dropping (Wells, Gibson, Thomas, Goldstein). The others Jacobs, Wright, and Anthony have all received similar treatment to Levi and in Sam's case, he's shown similar improvement and consistency. Others, like Gibson and Goldstein showed improvement without this intervention. Horses for courses?

At the end of the day, the lens through which supporters look is a fuzzy one compared to the one coaches look through. I'm sure they've got far finer distinctions around performance and development than we have.

A young lady (I assume) by the name of Clare made a comment at the end of the Herald Sun article today saying that Greenwood's signing of a new contract will be announced at the B&F night on Friday. Hope she is correct.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back