AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Hayes is 24, massive, mature frame, can play primary ruck or at least stand in the goalsquare and is Lewis' brother.

Makes a fair bit of sense.
I asked about Hayes on the Port board. Big question marks about his ability to run our a game

If we already question our list being unable to run out a game he fits right in

I asked about Hayes on the Port board. Big question marks about his ability to run our a game

If we already question our list being unable to run out a game he fits right in

I’d rather go get a Tom fullarton from Brisbane to be a our 3rd ruck.

This is borderline list mgmt stuff but I could live with sub standard tank for a big, physical ruckman. He’s Draper sized.

We play 2 or at worst one with a significant chop out so he’s probably only ever doing 75% of the game at most and realistically, we’re after a #3, which is why Phillips was so perfect.

Ambitionless, happy to do whatever is necessary. Fits in combination with Draper or with Bryan, or going it alone with support from Wright in a pinch.

Complete bonus that his little brother is already on our list.

This is borderline list mgmt stuff but I could live with sub standard tank for a big, physical ruckman. He’s Draper sized.

We play 2 or at worst one with a significant chop out so he’s probably only ever doing 75% of the game at most and realistically, we’re after a #3, which is why Phillips was so perfect.

Ambitionless, happy to do whatever is necessary. Fits in combination with Draper or with Bryan, or going it alone with support from Wright in a pinch.

Complete bonus that his little brother is already on our list.
The big plus for me when identifying Sam is/was his ability at U18 level. He was a behmoth of a kid. One game iirc in Adelaide he tore it apart. Now he’s legless and rotting away as a ruckman at SANFL level when the number 1s are unavailable to which Port have plenty of options (Visentini, Teakle, Lycett).

I agree that if he was asked to ruck 20% of the Tim I would almost be ok with that as he draws a defender away from Wright/Langford for the other 80% of time.

You've posted numbers to argue against accumulation?

How many of those marks are contested?

I was posting numbers to argue against the statement of 'all he does is accumulate hitouts'.

He got a ****load of hitouts and also impacted all over the ground.

I don't know about contested, but Draper was taking 2.6 (total) at AFL level and his direct competition in Flip was taking 2.3. Bryan averaged 2.5 in his 8 games at AFL level - and I'm guessing that's in about half the game time Draper/Flip played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am with Bruno on this . Having Nick as my boy this year I have not missed watching him in any games (live and streaming) . He has not had the physical presence that Sam had . He has also rucked against a lot of rucks that are similar age or younger this year.
Even though they are same age or even younger was it because he is still more slight than them? I have felt 2025 we will get the full picture of this guy when he is hopefully close to "full size". Doesn't help having a non physical ruckman (ie will only go when it is his turn) given our midfield balance generally has no physical presence either.

Even though they are same age or even younger was it because he is still more slight than them? I have felt 2025 we will get the full picture of this guy when he is hopefully close to "full size". Doesn't help having a non physical ruckman (ie will only go when it is his turn) given our midfield balance generally has no physical presence either.
I just think he is not physically strong yet . With his build it may be when he is 24 / 25 before he is physically ready .
He is also a bit nice by nature. He is certainly not on the angry pills .

Have seen Goldy mentioned for us. Not surprising as Scott knows him, he's a leader, still very serviceable and could transition from player to coaching when required

Draper (25)
Bryan (21)
Goldstein (35)

opens up the opp to add an 18yo next year if we can get that order in place midway thru '24.
Just need to find how Draper/Bryan combo can work

He's one I hoped we locked in for our future. Mid season Grundy looked like a decent option but Margaret has come on a lot quicker than I at least expected.

Hope he stays in the 22 for a long time.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back