AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All Bryan needs is size to impact contests. He can ruck and has nice disposal for a big man. Sure, it may not happen but he already has the tools.

Draper can’t ruck and can’t kick. He can however attack the footy.

I actually think Draper is the epitome of our mediocrity - only not beige - as we hang onto a dream of “what if”. Flashy in patches, goes missing when we need him. We don’t need someone who maybe has a great game in 5.

Draper can most certainly ruck, he spoon feeds the mids often - he just can't play out a game doing it

All Bryan needs is size to impact contests. He can ruck and has nice disposal for a big man. Sure, it may not happen but he already has the tools.

Draper can’t ruck and can’t kick. He can however attack the footy.

I actually think Draper is the epitome of our mediocrity - only not beige - as we hang onto a dream of “what if”. Flashy in patches, goes missing when we need him. We don’t need someone who maybe has a great game in 5.
If we get rid of Draper and some other club gets his peak years then that is the epitome of our mediocrity. Perhaps it’s part of my personality, but I am innately willing to back in a person with a talent that stands out and can make a difference. In my opinion, he has huge upside - more so than perhaps any other player on our list bar Caddy, Durham, and Tsatas. It just needs harnessing, and you have to back your development team in to actualise that. He’s already changed his approach to kicking at goal from close-range with success so far. If he can continue to make adjustments, and with growing maturity, you’d love him in your side while contending.

Draper can most certainly ruck, he spoon feeds the mids often - he just can't play out a game doing it
Honestly that’s why him and Bryan are such a good combo.

Drapes is basically playing as a 7ft Striker (Dusty/Danger/Degoey role)

Drapes gets some CBAs + holds space in the forward line.

Bryan does most bulk CBAs and around the ground work.

I agree except that it looks like bryan’s stocks could rise significantly by the end of next season. He could be anything given his age and pace of development. Madness to lose him now just like with mas last season. I suspect they will put up with the tall dilemma for another year and see how it unfolds. Having that tall depth is no bad thing either.
So you wouldn’t give him up as part of a package for Harley Reid?

Of course the price has to be right but you can’t flat out say he’s untradable.

We should be even more into rejuvenation mode next year.

So Byran number 1 ruck, draper 2 and 2mp 3rd. 2mp has had 1 good out of ten. Good depth.

Byran looks pretty agile and good around the ground. Wonder how much size he can put on and of he can get a bit more physical and presence.

So you wouldn’t give him up as part of a package for Harley Reid?

Of course the price has to be right but you can’t flat out say he’s untradable.
Harley Reid lol.
But yes I guess for the right deal that values him optimistically would be fine. Not really the way it works though. His value right now is much lower than it’s likely to be this time next year

He's a real nice user of the pill for a big guy. Sort of reminds me of a young Ryder with the agility and skills and the leap. No way we should allow him to go anywhere
Not sure he's got the athletic prowess of Paddy Ryder. Seems like more of a Grundy type to me - about average athletically and not really physically imposing but has the balance and footballing skills to essentially play as an additional midfielder around the ground. Basically the yin to Draper's yang; agree we should keep and hopefully those two can develop a workable partnership.

If we get rid of Draper and some other club gets his peak years then that is the epitome of our mediocrity. Perhaps it’s part of my personality, but I am innately willing to back in a person with a talent that stands out and can make a difference. In my opinion, he has huge upside - more so than perhaps any other player on our list bar Caddy, Durham, and Tsatas. It just needs harnessing, and you have to back your development team in to actualise that. He’s already changed his approach to kicking at goal from close-range with success so far. If he can continue to make adjustments, and with growing maturity, you’d love him in your side while contending.

Draper has a level of physical ability that most ruckmen don't. Whether he can turn that in to being a consistently good ruckman like say a Natanui did, is the question.

As noted already, Bryan looks a perfectly competent AFL standard ruck.

What happens now can play out in a few different ways depending on how they rate the three talls internally and what they want to do next season. Cox also showed an ability to absorb some back up minutes which could be a factor (depending on how they rate Cox right now).

What we do have to do is balance the team. Can’t play the 3 talls and can’t play all of Draper, Langford, Stringer, Jones, Caddy and Wright.

I have no issue keeping Bryan but also think we should be looking to bring in a genuine A+ talent - Dusty, Bont, Danger level. If Bryan can be packaged up as part of a deal to make that happen then so be it.

Whatever happens, hard decisions designed to (1) balance the list and (2) bring in elite talent need to be made.
Agree with this.

In some ways it’s a good problem to have.

Draper and Bryant ok rucks. Having one or both is ok (bigger issues to solve).

If Draper is re-signed then we have more flexibility to cash in on Bryant (if he wants to go) and the greater good might be to do so.

Or if Draper goes, we have Bryant (I’d suggest he had to held to his contract next year whilst the Draper piece plays out).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's something that shits me about the AFL.

You can spend a whole cycle building a list toward something then they go and change a rule (or 2) on a whim and it can change everything.

Over night the ruck rule made strong brutes king and athletes moot

Overnight the stand rule made quick outsiders rule over contest beasts

Overnight the quick whistle rule made strong players who try to get their arms free to get the ball out punishable

It changes everything overnight yet it takes 5+ years to change a list to adapt. (By then it probably happens again) It's just another luck of the draw thing

ant555

Tim English has been insipid for the Dogs tonight, maybe you're onto something with big Nick. Obviously a bit to develop and years ahead but need tough rucks to win finals
Tim English is a terrible tap ruckman.

Nick Bryan is great at winning hitouts. Not comparable at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back