AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Apparently keen on a move to Orange Team

Remove this Banner Ad

A number of years ago, Parramatta Eels players were hanging around ethnic gangs. A photo of them having a succulent Chinese meal created enough heat that Junior Paulo left to go to Canberra. Thankfully he turned his life around, and the blow scene in Canberra must be dead, he retuned to the Eels as the premier prop.

The vibe in the Roaming BT video is eerily reminiscent of the Eels drama.

I have no doubt that the dons hierarchy will monitor and aggressively manage this.
I love that it's utterly impossible to refer to eating chinese food without that particular adjective

Are we not in the perfect position?

Offer 1 year, firm. Allow to chase 2 elsewhere.

If he has no nibbles we are vindicated that he's a one season contract player

If he finds 2, our fwd line gets its reset
You left out the scenario where he stays on the current arrangement, plays a blinder in 2025 and triggers a fresh contract in 2026 for our premiership tilt 😬

Looks like the Pies not interested Collingwood rules out play for Essendon’s Jake Stringer

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are we not in the perfect position?

Offer 1 year, firm. Allow to chase 2 elsewhere.

If he has no nibbles we are vindicated that he's a one season contract player

If he finds 2, our fwd line gets its reset
Yep. Well played I think.
An egg on face moment for Jake potentially, if he has told the playing group he has played his last game but now has to walk it back.

I pissed myself when I saw McRae’s comment today. Hes not going anywhere
Yeah, funny wording… he’s pretty happy about it apparently.

I'll admit, we looked at it, it came across our desk that Jake Stringer (could be gettable) … you have a look at the depth of it.

“But I'm happy to say here that when we won't be bringing Jake Stringer to that footy club.

“Not because of any or many reasons, but to the rumour that I want him, that’s a bit of a stretch.

“We did our research, and we did all things behind the scenes like where he fits on our list, the money, the tenure and whatever.

“But no, I'm happy to say he won't be coming to Collingwood next year.”

IF the rumours are true and he told his teammates he’s done at the Bombers, he’d be starting to get a little red-faced at this stage… no one wants him for more than a year except (outside chance) Sydney.

I’d call it vindication for Essendon’s apparent tough stance.

Geez the hate for Stringer on here is real. Plenty of players request trades that don't eventuate and end up coming back to their club with zero issues. Stringer hasn't even requested a trade. Other than a rumour that he said to somebody that he's played his last game at Essendon, all we actually know is he's looking for more than a 1 year deal. Wow, what a terrible guy! Turf him, what a disaster if he comes back! Lol

Geez the hate for Stringer on here is real. Plenty of players request trades that don't eventuate and end up coming back to their club with zero issues. Stringer hasn't even requested a trade. Other than a rumour that he said to somebody that he's played his last game at Essendon, all we actually know is he's looking for more than a 1 year deal. Wow, what a terrible guy! Turf him, what a disaster if he comes back! Lol
Evidently there's not much love for him around the league either. Crazy. It's like they don't even know he's a matchwinner off his own boot. Sides just willing to go without 42 goals.

100%. He's a contracted 30 year old player with past fitness issues that wants an early extension. Its not even a hard stance that the club has taken. Simple "no you cant have an early extension, but feel free to test the market and we wont stand in your way if you want to move". His manager has tried to get a few bites through the media but shouldve known better. Stringer will not be offered big money over 2 years by anyone. It'll either be a late deal for a nothing pick and wish him all the best, or back for day 1 of pre season. His pre season should already be started if he is serious about playing for another 2 years.

From the way it's been discussed by people who should know (i.e., Cal Twomey) it sounds like everyone who has asked him about it has been told he thinks he's played his last game. But he's a straight shooter with the media anyway and doesn't seem to let much bother him, so I'm sure if he stayed he'd get over it pretty quickly and the media would get an honest interview about it and move on.

It seems like his manager didn't do the due diligence he's paid to do before going to Essendon asking for an extension above market rate.

I can't fault him in the slightest for pushing for a bit more security (as in length of contract) as a 30 year old who is still delivering on field, but agree that his manager should have done the work behind the scenes before playing it out in the media.

My comment is more related to people here acting as if he's some kind of toxic figure who we need to exorcise from the club. From everything I've seen and heard from Jake from the moment he came to the footy club he's been nothing but loyal and shown nothing but love for the club, yet the second he considers (and rightfully so) that he might need to think about looking elsewhere to extend his career all of a sudden he's a horrible selfish guy with a terrible attitude who doesn't deserve to step foot back at the hangar.

Think whatever you like of him as a player and where he fits/doesn't fit in the team in our state of build, but the unwarranted vitriol towards him on here is pretty gross IMO.

I can't fault him in the slightest for pushing for a bit more security (as in length of contract) as a 30 year old who is still delivering on field, but agree that his manager should have done the work behind the scenes before playing it out in the media.

My comment is more related to people here acting as if he's some kind of toxic figure who we need to exorcise from the club. From everything I've seen and heard from Jake from the moment he came to the footy club he's been nothing but loyal and shown nothing but love for the club, yet the second he considers (and rightfully so) that he might need to think about looking elsewhere to extend his career all of a sudden he's a horrible selfish guy with a terrible attitude who doesn't deserve to step foot back at the hangar.

Think whatever you like of him as a player and where he fits/doesn't fit in the team in our state of build, but the unwarranted vitriol towards him on here is pretty gross IMO.
Jake is gross. He reportedly shits in lockers and creeps on school girls. Great influence before he wanted to leave us? Yeah right.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Apparently keen on a move to Orange Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back