AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Apparently keen on a move to Orange Team

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't fault him in the slightest for pushing for a bit more security (as in length of contract) as a 30 year old who is still delivering on field, but agree that his manager should have done the work behind the scenes before playing it out in the media.

My comment is more related to people here acting as if he's some kind of toxic figure who we need to exorcise from the club. From everything I've seen and heard from Jake from the moment he came to the footy club he's been nothing but loyal and shown nothing but love for the club, yet the second he considers (and rightfully so) that he might need to think about looking elsewhere to extend his career all of a sudden he's a horrible selfish guy with a terrible attitude who doesn't deserve to step foot back at the hangar.

Think whatever you like of him as a player and where he fits/doesn't fit in the team in our state of build, but the unwarranted vitriol towards him on here is pretty gross IMO.
Agree and I don't blame him for looking.

400k is unders for a 42 goal season IMO but at the same time understand the club looking to the future.

My comment is more related to people here acting as if he's some kind of toxic figure who we need to exorcise from the club.... but the unwarranted vitriol towards him on here is pretty gross IMO.

Are they though? in this thread? I haven't read anything overly emotional. The worst that I could find in here was this post.

Geez after actually watching that Roaming BT vid alarm bells are going off in a big way. Only known him a few months but catch up with him all the time and he's 'taking care of me and Jakey'. Does that not just reek of how those organised crime types operate? (Caveat everything I know about organised crime is from movies and tv shows).
edit: and now YH has posted with something in response after the original post. I don't think that you can say people generally have been malicious or vitriolic when speaking of Jake.

Last edited:
Jake is gross. He reportedly shits in lockers and creeps on school girls. Great influence before he wanted to leave us? Yeah right.
"Creeps on" sounds to be putting it lightly.

Don't forget turning up unfit and overweight to preseason every year (except this, to be fair).

Evidently there's not much love for him around the league either. Crazy. It's like they don't even know he's a matchwinner off his own boot. Sides just willing to go without 42 goals.
Yeah, hard to understand.
Imagine of he went to team with better F50 delivery and that didn’t need him pinch hitting in the middle… could be 44-47 goals.

If he has told people he is not coming back then I don't want him.

If he ends up here next year it will be a circus.

No big deal at all.

Shiel asked for a trade last year. Without any inside knowledge, I would suggest it happens 100x more than we'd think. As in any line of work, employees are always on the look out for more $, better conditions, etc.

Are they though? in this thread? I haven't read anything overly emotional. The worst that I could find in here was this post.

edit: and now YH has posted with something in response after the original post. I don't think that you can say people generally have been malicious or vitriolic when speaking of Jake.
Its been popping up in other threads that people want him gone. He's a fat this and lazy that. Screw him. Nah blah blah. It's made a few threads unreadable for me. People have to understand that not everyone has the same physical attributes. Stringer is big and heavy and strong always will be. Not everyone can shed those kgs.
Does that make him lazy not necessarily.

Its been popping up in other threads that people want him gone. He's a fat this and lazy that. Screw him. Nah blah blah. It's made a few threads unreadable for me. People have to understand that not everyone has the same physical attributes. Stringer is big and heavy and strong always will be. Not everyone can shed those kgs.
In addition every time there's an update on his trade status you can count on at least one response about him being toxic or more trouble than his worth.

What has he actually done while at the club to deserve this reputation?
The alleged behaviour Hank brought up is from his time at the dogs, he has been here for 8 years now and not a single newsworthy item re bad behaviour or issues with teammates.

I have no issue with people wanting to trade him because of his age/our list imbalance, but the animosity is so OTT for a guy who has brought us a lot of memorable moments over the journey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In addition every time there's an update on his trade status you can count on at least one response about him being toxic or more trouble than his worth.

The alleged behaviour Hank brought up is from his time at the dogs, he has been here for 8 years now and not a single newsworthy item re bad behaviour or issues with teammates.

I have no issue with people wanting to trade him because of his age/our list imbalance, but the animosity is so OTT for a guy who has brought us a lot of memorable moments over the journey.

Everyone has an arch enemy and a friend in every environment they are involved in.

Last edited:
Totally agree

There hasn't been a lot to enjoy for a long time. Stringer at least brought us some good highlights and he also is prepared to fly the flag. Pretty much something that isn't over abundant in our team
Genuine match winner and game breaker at times and against good teams when the rest of our players looked inferior to the opposition, it was nice to be proud of someone in those circumstances. Copped unfair criticism last year when it was eventually revealed he couldn't train for 4 months pre season because he copped a flying knee to the head in the last match of 22. I don't think his 40 goals this year were of the quality of a few years back and the decline will continue not to mention the balance issues our forward line has.

Mostly right.
I’m 100% with you.

But there was the small matters of:
  • Bringing in undesirables into the rooms (what ever that means)
  • Not coming back in as good shape as should have

Personally, I think clubs are better when they recognise all sorts and don’t require all to be robots. Cats do it well. Sydney don’t (but they’ve done ok). Imagine if Dane Swan or Vander were closed out of footy for being roughies?

Anyway… 42 goals is a hill I’ll die on.

Geez the hate for Stringer on here is real. Plenty of players request trades that don't eventuate and end up coming back to their club with zero issues. Stringer hasn't even requested a trade. Other than a rumour that he said to somebody that he's played his last game at Essendon, all we actually know is he's looking for more than a 1 year deal. Wow, what a terrible guy! Turf him, what a disaster if he comes back! Lol
Eh, I used a conditional 'if.'

He's big boned, is all.

Yep, completely outside of his control. Ronald and the colonel basically had a gun to his head…

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #25: Jake Stringer - Apparently keen on a move to Orange Team

Remove this Banner Ad

Back