Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

I backed Lachie Hansen when 80% or more of North people (which I kept record of constant offenders) on social media said we should delist him but now every single North fan applauds and cheers Lachie like a bad word about him was never said, while I had the last laugh and enjoyed every second of it. I will back Robbie Tarrant like I did Lachie, and I guarantee Robbie will do exactly what Lachie has and become a fan favourite

I was just not going to respond and I don't know why I am.

Brilliant post DJ - expect nothing less from you and nailed it again (apart from one claim)

Unfortunately having a measured opinion about Tarrant means we are all 'haters', 'Tarrantism' and so on by the usual suspects. In 5 years we will know whether he became this star key forward we keep hearing to prove us wrong, or if he continues the lead-up role player he is at present or replaced. Lets revisit at that time I guess.

Measured opinion? You have called fro him to be dropped pretty consistently for more than two years. He hasn't set the world on fire but he also has not been as bad as people make out on here. It is pretty evident to me that with the 3 forward structure 1 forward generally has to be down on output in terms of goals that they kick.

This year he was clearly suffering from some form of the yips, missing goals from 35 out directly in front. Taz can kick them from 60 comfortably 35 meters should be no issue at all. As it was pretty evident in 2011 with Lindsay the yips are less ability and more mental, he will be stronger for playing through them.

As for the concrete hands thing that is a recurring theme, he is getting better, he is sticking more marks and some of them are contested. Is he a brilliant contested mark? No. Is he developing? Yes.

On the trading thing, if Taz was all of the things that some people say that he is on here he would have no currency.

People laud loyalty look at the Aaron Black resigning people loved that he didn't really listen to offers to move home and just resigned. Well loyalty cuts both ways, reading everything I have on Taz he feels that he owes the club. Actively seek to trade a bloke that feels that way and has it so known that he feels that way that I know it and I am not directly connected to the club, it would have an effect. Doubt in a footy club is a dangerous thing. Its dangerous and it spreads.

In saying all of that NMFC winning games is paramount, the right trade for the right person, someone that brings enough confidence to cancel out the doubt and sign me up.

But to be honest I haven't read anything on this board that comes close to anyone "who dislike him personally" - in fact I think Tarrant gets very favourable treatment compared to other 'developing' players as most look for excuses for him, and clearly he seems a very likeable person.

So yep, as one who has critised his (IMO) lack of output/ability, hopefully he can take a step or two forward in 2014. I don't think anyone would think differently, just that some have more confidence than others and that's fair enough.

There were 39 blokes on the senior list in 2013, there were 6 or so rookies out that 45 blokes I think that if you ask most they would want those 45 players to succeed.

this he gets favorable treatment to others who are developing is not really accurate. To be honest I think that people defend opinions that they have raised earlier regarding a player. If I said Tarrant was poor last week and he did things wrong during a game I will use those things as a device to prove that I was right. I will overlook other things that do not suit my arguement. It happens exactly the same with those who fixate on the good things he does.

There seem to be 2 players on our list that escape almost all critique they being number 7 and number 35. Everyone else has a mixed opinion of output and level. Which is cool because like you know this is a forum and the idea is you have an opinion and I have an opinion and then we discuss those opinions.

If we do trade him I hope we get some one fantastic.
If we don't trade him (as you would know this is my preference) I hope he absolutely slays it in 2014.

That's interesting Only Forwards, sounds like we are basically in agreement despite all the angst. He does owe the club for sticking by him, we appear to be backing him that he will improve, and i'm sure our list managers will move him on when they see fit - which is clearly not at the moment.

Only thing I can say that is wrong is I haven't called for him to be traded for over two years, bit hard when I haven't been here that long! Otherwise I agree with your post, and its a shame people are so defensive throughout the year, but when if put in this manner it makes more sense and is rational.

Robbie cops a huge amount of flack on this board but I'm calling it now, he will have a Hansen-2013-esk breakout year in 2014. So similar to the LT Goal Prediction thread of 2013, I thought I would start one for Tarrant in '14. Let's see who knows their Tom Hawkins' from their Mitch Thorpes.

I'll get the ball rolling with my prediction - 39.23

I hope that he can sort his yips issue out.

I hope that he can actually train before he plays.

Regardless of output we will have another year of people wanting him out of the side.

I await the calls of

"yeah look I know that Majak has only played 1 VFL game and is just coming back from injury but:

In Daw
Out Tarrant"

He will go at a bit better than a goal a game, so somewherein the mid-high 20's.
Will kick 4 in a game and then go goalless for a month.
he needs to perform as he is the spot arguably better filled with a back up
ruck (Daw or Currie) or more mobile medium forward (Mason Wood).

I'm backing Robbie in for a solid year. He's got a lot of great attributes and needs more gametime and development to put it together.

He showed hints of strong marking in 2013 in fact this area was obviously improved from 2012-13.

His kicking is not an issue, yeh he's had yips so has everyone else bar Boomer and Wells.

195cm genuinely strongly built (ie not human twigs slapping injury-inviting bulk on weak frames) hard working, footy-smart, long kicking key forwards don't come along too often.

Have definitly got frustrated with him at times but you could say that about Lachie and Drew too. Hey, and did anyone notice Aaron Black's yips in the last couple of games??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice bloke and tries hard but someone with such bad "Rapid Mix" hands will never take the next step.

How can you take the next step when every 2nd grab hits the deck???

Well I suppose you could argue, that he's stopped an opponent taking a mark in our fwd half and having an easy "release".

Also if he gets to twenty contests and marks half, he's on 220+ marks for the year.

North and Robbie understand what he needs to work on, he does and has taken some strong contested marks, so it may be a mental thing.

Against Geelong he was given a negating role after half time on Harry Taylor, Robbie's stat sheet looks shithouse for the day. Harry hardly got the ball either.
( second half)
North put that down to a big win for us/ Robbie.

I reckon Robbie will have a great season , but it may not be how many believe a big fwd should play.

Strange year in some ways. I thought he looked a lot more effective early on than he did the year prior. Appeared to be clunking more grabs and his workrate and team work leading players around the field was first rate. Later in the year his poor kicking for goal harmed the good work however he's generally been a solid kick so willing to wait and see on that one. More importantly no major injuries for the year is surely a good thing. I'd like to see Robbie get around the 25-30 goal mark next year as a minimum if in that CHF leading type role and more if we play him as a more true FF. Perhaps would be good to anchor him a little more from the square when we can afford to against poorer teams or when flying in an attempt to bring more confidence, a few cheaper goals and encourage more contested work.

Robbie needs a good run at it this pre-season, but as far as I'm concerned there's no excuses.

Lachie copped a huge amount of flack and found himself in the reserves multiple times over the last 3 years. Robbie is no different, and if Majak is pushing in the VFL, he should be given just as much opportunity, he doesn't have a monopoly on the position. Luckily for Robbie, this pressure isn'tlikely to come until the second half of the year.

Mason Wood is in a similar boat, whilst he isn't as tall, he is much more mobile, and would be a very effective mobile CHF, similar to when Tarrant pushes up to the wings. If Mason puts together some games in the VFL he should be considered for the same role.

Regardless of output we will have another year of people wanting him out of the side. I await the calls of:

"yeah look I know that Majak has only played 1 VFL game and is just coming back from injury but:

In Daw
Out Tarrant"
If you think getting in for a pre-emptive mocking will dissuade said calls from happening, I think you're sadly mistaken.

Tried the lucky dip and came up with 25.17. Will be happier than Larry if he does a Lindsay and passes the mark by midyear. But if he just goes up a level from last year will do me. Was loving seeing the goal kicking spread amongst our mids late in the season so if that means a few less to our KPFs that's fine by me. Will watch Tarrant's contested mark and tackle count just as closely as his goal tally. As said by many, big year for him ahead.

Just sense that if Black and Petrie are fit for close to 22, there might be a bit of chopping and changing with Tarrant, Daw (later in year), Currie, Wood. and even Curran if he can get his foot right. Should actually be a battle royale amongst these guys as it is not just about getting games in 2014, but it is staking a claim as a long-term key forward. With Drew expected to kick on to the end of 2015 and Black about to rip the whole bloody comp to shreds, there appears to be 5 blokes fighting to claim one spot (injuries aside) for the coming seasons and all have positive signs.

Tarrant looks like a powerhouse, is steadily improving, and has shown that he is worthy of Best-22, but needs to lift his contested marking and sort out the late season yips.

Daw is the raw athlete with the leap, the speed, and the tackling ability that could make him anything, but lacks football nous and stamina. Inject these 2 things (figuratively speaking for you * posters) and Tarrant will be left in his wake.

Currie is waiting for his day in the ruck, but Goldy don't get injured and don't wanna be rested, so making his name as a tandem ruck and forward a la Mike the Pyke may have to be Currie's target. Mind you, he is still first and foremost a backup ruck.

Wood just reeks of classy footballer, a bit undersized, but if Black becomes our number one tall forward, Wood's opportunity as a mobile leading 3rd tall might come quicker than we expect.

Curran. Get that foot right and he has gun centre half forward written all over him. Great hands. Great leading. Great kicking action. Great footy sense. Crap feet. Still hoping he will take Petrie's mantle for a 10-year career alongside Black.

Mouth-watering situation we have and 2014 will sort much of this dilemma out I would think. Will be curious to see how many goals these 5 kick collectively. Give me 44 goals between them (Tarrant's 25.17, Daw 8, Wood 4, Currie 2, and Curran 5 on debut :p) and top 6 here we come.

If you think getting in for a pre-emptive mocking will dissuade said calls from happening, I think you're sadly mistaken.

Nothing will dissuade it, including consistent high level output from Tarrant.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back