Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't forget that he "works/runs hard" like as if that in itself is enough to justify a game at AFL level.

I have been calling for him to be traded at end of season, and continue to think that would be our best option. That is no knock on Robbie or that he can't make it, just the fact he would have some prospective value at the trade table and think we can use him to strengthen our squad in other areas.
yeah I know what you mean, we should have traded Lachie for a third round pick last season. :( but missed the boat on that.

yeah I know what you mean, we should have traded Lachie for a third round pick last season. :( but missed the boat on that.

Even though Lachie has had his ups and downs, he always showed a lot more than Tarrant in his early years. One might argue that if Lachie had of stayed back all along a lot of grief might not have occurred.

I don't see the point of having a "developing" KPF in the 2s, which is the way it is looking at the moment. If he is worth something valuable at the trade table at a club lacking forwards it might be mutually beneficial.

#25 Robbie Tarrant

TARRANT%20Robbie.png

Summary
It was a frustrating year for Tarrant, one season after cementing a position in the North Melbourne forward line. The younger brother of former Collingwood and Fremantle player Chris, Tarrant missed nine weeks due to a leg injury after starting the season in strong form, kicking five goals from the first three matches. His next game would come in Round 14 against Greater Western Sydney, and despite a quiet performance, he exploded into a rich vein of form, booting four goals against Richmond in Round 15, followed by four marks and three goals a week later against Brisbane.

Tarrant held his place over the final seven weeks, but managed just a return of 3.12, with the three majors coming in Round 21 against Essendon. North supporters were left perplexed as to why he remained in the side, but it is clear Brad Scott has a plan with Tarrant, and getting games and experience into him is crucial to the continued forward structure in years to come. With 38 games next to his name at the age of 24, he is coming into his prime, and along with Aaron Black and Majak Daw, carries the hopes of the Kangaroos's future forward line.

Quote:Robbie Tarrant says his eight weeks out of football with a lower leg injury were extremely testing, but he wasn't going to let his misfortune bring him down.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-06-25/a...ating-time

Quote:Robbie Tarrant had no troubles getting through his first outing in seven long weeks after making his return for Werribee on Saturday.

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2013-06-23/t...-unscathed

292782-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

294580_gl.jpg

Robbie+Tarrant+AsTkDG6o6g9m.jpg

296230-tlsgalleryportrait.jpg

Really hope his "luck" changes next year. Watching replays it's amazing how often he'll be wrestling with his opponent only for the ball to come in completely to their advantage. He is very "unlucky".

Black seems to be the opposite, "luckily" the ball almost always comes to his advantage. If some of that "luck" can rub off onto Taz it would be massive for our 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My view of Tarrant is that he's a serviceable forward. That's it. He'll average around 2 goals a season for his career and every now and again kick a bag of 4-6 and even win a game of his boot.

He retains his spot in the team because there's no one better in his position (big, deep forward) at the club atm. Petrie and him fit in the same lineup. He takes a good defender too, freeing up others.

I don't expect him to be a gun, game breaking player, until / if the next big thing comes along.
It's a bit of a shame because he was a (albeit surprisingly) first round selection and we have invested heavily with him.

I'm prepared (happy) to be proved wrong. As Spitta said, he's only 24, plenty of footy ahead of him and if he gets a good run injury wise and applies himself he could step into the Roughead bracket. But I'm not holding my breath.

I think sometimes people forget that due to injuries Robbie hasn't played a whole lot of football for us. He's starting to get around the nubmer of games where you'd want him to hold those marks, kick those goals, and I'm expecting big things from him in 2014. He's a big enough lad and should be a real nightmare for opposition teams when everything finally clicks for him. Keep working hard, Robbie!

I think sometimes people forget that due to injuries Robbie hasn't played a whole lot of football for us. He's starting to get around the nubmer of games where you'd want him to hold those marks, kick those goals, and I'm expecting big things from him in 2014. He's a big enough lad and should be a real nightmare for opposition teams when everything finally clicks for him. Keep working hard, Robbie!

People don't forget people don't care.They see first round pick not tearing it to shreds therefore we should trade.

It was pure coincidence that in the second game against the Hawks when Robbie went off we found it incredibly hard to score.

it was completely unrelated to the amount of work that he does.

Its not like Hodge had been unable to zone off prior to that because Robbie was too dangerous to leave 1 out against their defense.

Robbie Tarrant bleeds blue and white best we try to ship him elsewhere. It wont send a message of players just being a commodity will it.

People don't forget people don't care.They see first round pick not tearing it to shreds therefore we should trade.

It was pure coincidence that in the second game against the Hawks when Robbie went off we found it incredibly hard to score.

it was completely unrelated to the amount of work that he does.

Its not like Hodge had been unable to zone off prior to that because Robbie was too dangerous to leave 1 out against their defense.

Robbie Tarrant bleeds blue and white best we try to ship him elsewhere. It wont send a message of players just being a commodity will it.

Great post :thumbsu: Agree with every bit of it.

I have not been a Robbie fanboy. Never a hater, but I've criticised his inability to take a contested mark and his ability to mark overhead. A bloke his size should be able to do both.

His attack on the contest and his attack on his opponents can never be questioned and he creates plenty of spills and perceived pressure in the forward 50. He runs hard and often provides a leading target to an under pressure defender late in quarters and games.

In the second half of this year he surprised me a few times by taking strong overhead marks. He is yet to outbody an opponent one-on-one and mark the ball but I'm hopeful this will be his next achievement.

Overall, I would say he turned the corner in 2013. 6/10 (would have been 6.5/10, but his kicking for goal late was pretty bad).

Really hope his "luck" changes next year. Watching replays it's amazing how often he'll be wrestling with his opponent only for the ball to come in completely to their advantage. He is very "unlucky".

Black seems to be the opposite, "luckily" the ball almost always comes to his advantage. If some of that "luck" can rub off onto Taz it would be massive for our 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
I guess Wayne Carey was just really, really, really lucky!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would like him to be given an extended run at full forward next season.
Will benefit with space and being the focal point.
I like him as a leading forward. He really gets up a head of steam in a straight line.

If we can improve our entries inside F50 he should get on the end of quite a few IMO.

Like others I am not a fan of his contested marking, but he has plenty of other AFL quality attributes.

I thought he was one of the worst on our list a couple of years ago, has done a mountain of work.

We would be nuts to ship him off now. I love his attack on the ball, Sydney won a flag with that attitude.

I didn't realise that Taz hardly trained all year. Was wondering if that was common knowledge?

North ( from a source) have high hopes from Robbie "late bloomer" Tarrant.
These pieces of inside info may not matter to some.

These pieces of inside info may not matter to some.

I lol'd . I asked straight out during my work related phone call ( actually I had little interest in discussing work) whether Robbie was up for trade, the answer was no. Which led on to his inability to train much during the season.

Which I think makes his ability to impact contests and cover plenty of ground even more impressive.

Very highly rated is Robbie from within.

I don't think there are 'haters' of Taz - nobody sits there, reflects upon his situation, and decides 'Nope, don't like him, going to be against him no matter what he does'. Some might - that'd be pretty stupid/borderline psychotic though. It's actually based on what he shows when he plays. Yeah, unbelievable I know. There are people out there who want the members of the team selected for our AFL games to be performing. It's a left-field concept, but I think it has merit.

I know he's played 38 games, and has been interrupted terribly with injury. IMO this doesn't excuse inability to mark well, or be a reliable kick for goal (which he's not at the moment). If he was like JWS being destroyed by setbacks, but tearing it up every slight chance he got, different story - I think everyone would be in his corner in that case. But I don't think missing games, or only having played 38 games, excuses not being able to execute these fundamentals at every chance he gets. That's where the criticism comes from.

I hope he has a good year next year, would love nothing more than to see him prove all those people who dislike him personally and are willing him on to fail wrong.

I don't think there are 'haters' of Taz - nobody sits there, reflects upon his situation, and decides 'Nope, don't like him, going to be against him no matter what he does'. Some might - that'd be pretty stupid/borderline psychotic though. It's actually based on what he shows when he plays. Yeah, unbelievable I know. There are people out there who want the members of the team selected for our AFL games to be performing. It's a left-field concept, but I think it has merit.

I know he's played 38 games, and has been interrupted terribly with injury. IMO this doesn't excuse inability to mark well, or be a reliable kick for goal (which he's not at the moment). If he was like JWS being destroyed by setbacks, but tearing it up every slight chance he got, different story - I think everyone would be in his corner in that case. But I don't think missing games, or only having played 38 games, excuses not being able to execute these fundamentals at every chance he gets. That's where the criticism comes from.

I hope he has a good year next year, would love nothing more than to see him prove all those people who dislike him personally and are willing him on to fail wrong.

Brilliant post DJ - expect nothing less from you and nailed it again (apart from one claim)

Unfortunately having a measured opinion about Tarrant means we are all 'haters', 'Tarrantism' and so on by the usual suspects. In 5 years we will know whether he became this star key forward we keep hearing to prove us wrong, or if he continues the lead-up role player he is at present or replaced. Lets revisit at that time I guess.

But to be honest I haven't read anything on this board that comes close to anyone "who dislike him personally" - in fact I think Tarrant gets very favourable treatment compared to other 'developing' players as most look for excuses for him, and clearly he seems a very likeable person.

So yep, as one who has critised his (IMO) lack of output/ability, hopefully he can take a step or two forward in 2014. I don't think anyone would think differently, just that some have more confidence than others and that's fair enough.

Brilliant post DJ - expect nothing less from you and nailed it again (apart from one claim)

Unfortunately having a measured opinion about Tarrant means we are all 'haters', 'Tarrantism' and so on by the usual suspects. In 5 years we will know whether he became this star key forward we keep hearing to prove us wrong, or if he continues the lead-up role player he is at present or replaced. Lets revisit at that time I guess.

But to be honest I haven't read anything on this board that comes close to anyone "who dislike him personally" - in fact I think Tarrant gets very favourable treatment compared to other 'developing' players as most look for excuses for him, and clearly he seems a very likeable person.

So yep, as one who has critised his (IMO) lack of output/ability, hopefully he can take a step or two forward in 2014. I don't think anyone would think differently, just that some have more confidence than others and that's fair enough.

Sarcasm detector on? :p I know nobody dislikes him personally, and was just highlighting the fact that it's ridiculous to think there is the conga-line of people who hate him and want him to fail.

Nothing could be further from the truth - and you're exactly right, he seems to be universally liked and looked upon favourably around here.

one of the hardest workers, makes the forward line function so much better, also allows Black to take the third defender or sometimes a medium rebounding defender

Against Hawthorn 2nd time we played them, we lost him to injury and we just could not score, he does so much work off the play to allow Black and Petrie to get free, Taz realises his role, and sticks to it. If he can add ruckwork to his bow, he'll be so important to our future structure

I would be putting him through ruck lessons, have him do all the ruck work in the forward line, and some middle work so Goldy doesnt get cooked again.

To me his in for a lindsay thomas type break out next year, not so much he'll kick 50+ goals, he'll take his chances, if he gets 3-4 shots I can see from next year he'll nail them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back