Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Petrie: 53.21 (from 22 games)
Thomas: 47.19 (from 21 games)
Black: 34.13 (from 23 games)
JACK ZIEBELL 33.23 (from 17 games)
AARON MULLETT 33.2 (from 23 games)
Tarrant: 28.9 (from 21 games)
Wood: 7.3 (from 5 games)
Curran: 2.1 (from 1 game)

EDITED for accuracy :D

Nothing will dissuade it, including consistent high level output from Tarrant.

Of course it would, just like it did for Hansen in 2013 (discounting Jack Reacher.....)

Fact is we all want Tarrant to succeed, and thus far he hasn't quite got there hence the criticism from various angles.

As Pykie says ^^, there are no more excuses and if he delivers, fantastic. If he doesn't, someone else comes in. He shouldn't have a right to a position.

It is pretty simple and importantly, no different to any other player. I think he has a role to play and potentially an important one, he just needs to correct a couple of obvious weaknesses to take that step.

Of course it would, just like it did for Hansen in 2013 (discounting Jack Reacher.....)

Fact is we all want Tarrant to succeed, and thus far he hasn't quite got there hence the criticism from various angles.

As Pykie says ^^, there are no more excuses and if he delivers, fantastic. If he doesn't, someone else comes in. He shouldn't have a right to a position.

It is pretty simple and importantly, no different to any other player. I think he has a role to play and potentially an important one, he just needs to correct a couple of obvious weaknesses to take that step.

Robbie will be 1 quiet performance away from being slammed on here.

He would have to start ripping the heart out of games to change perception of him

Robbie is going to be the perennial scape-goat on the board next year based purely on the fact that Petrie is clearly the spearhead of our forward line, and Blacky is the next Carey in the eyes of many on this board.

We can't reasonably expect each of the 3 key forwards to consistently get on the score-board each match, especially with our really dangerous small forwards; and practically it would be foolish to have each forward geared in exactly the same manner. I think the focus areas for Robbie are:

* Ensure he takes a key defender - with Robbie's size and strength, engaging the key defender will hopefully remove their attacking ability

* Ensure that he competes for every contest - regardless of what we have to say about his marking (and he's no Stewy Lowe) the one thing that Robbie always does is create a contest. There aren't that many forwards that always impact the contest - and he'd be well ahead of someone like Black in this area. It makes him a predictable pressure valve; and with small forwards with the nous of Boomer and Lindsay, that's invaluable.

* Ensure he kicks straight - he's not great in this area. But hopefully can improve, as his technique is quite solid.

I really enjoy watching Robbie play, and trying to figure out what game style Brad has for him. His leading patterns are always interesting, and indicitive of a forward that "gets it." He gets into dangerous positions, and takes his defenders away from the play, and then cuts back to impact the play, he does this really well and it's a great mix, because it means that the opposition has to play a more athletic defender on him. As Blacky develops next year, the reward will be in that Blacky will have a less mobile forward on him...or you'll find an undersized defender on Taz - if that happens then he MUST capitalise.

I'm bullish - he'll never be a great player IMO, but you can never underestimate the presence of a 3rd genuine key forward to stretch defences.

tl;dr - I like Robbie 32:24.

Black2Blue good post (especially the * bit) but I think Curran will be largely unsighted until 2015. Too much ground to make up.

Cheers KC. Fully agree. Just some wishful thinking that he will debut in round 22 with a bag of 5. If he gets 15 unhindered games in VFL I will be happy. If he lands a senior game, it will be on the back of some bloody exciting form or, touch wood, a pile of injuries. Would prefer the former. :)

Yeah, just like no-one on here praised Hansen last season.o_O

How about 2012?

Lachie dips in performance next year and doubters will be right there and ready to jump straight back into smashing him.

This is evidenced by the crap that Drew cops on here. Perennial whipping boy, turned favourite, turned occasional whipping boy.

It appears to be cyclical.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so you want your 196cm 100kg marking forward with a diabolical history of shoulder problems tackling blokes and throwing them to the ground
why not accept he is quite likely to injure himself and let him just go thru the motions
rather more important the other forwards do the harassing IMO

Where Where :rolleyes: .

He needs to pull his finger out.

He has to act like he gives a shit.
Get angry Taz.

Exactly, time to knock 'em down like bowling pins if they get in the way.

Loved his game against Richmond...more of that please.

Plenty of posters criticize Taz for his cement/cymbal hands. I have too no doubt and they are ordinary, but to me that's not a huge problem. Franklin is a perfect example of a guy who is a terrible mark and still can be a gun player, even as a large forward.

It is his inability to make second efforts, provide presence physically, and stay in the contest at ground level which he needs to improve on. If he starts marking more this wont be as much of an issue as if he takes 7 grabs and kicks a bag, happy days. But if he simply cant improve marking then then he needs more strings to his bow than just a lead up forward to drag away a defender who occasionally gets on the end of a few, but too often is a spectator and the game goes on around him.

There is no doubt he has improved, and that is a positive and it will most likely continue. There isn't any poster on here that treats Taz any different to others for mine, this whole scapegoat thing is nonsense. Spud, Loose and Patch are examples of players who copped it for poor performances this year, and they all have way more credits in the bank than Taz.

Point being, if a player performs poorly they will be crititised, if they perform well they will be celebrated. If enough consistency is shown then they will be forgiven a game or two and with very good reason. When it is one good one and three poor ones, then of course people will be red hot in the "out" thread (again, just like any other players such as Anthony, Wright, Delaney Snr, Greenwood etc)

Anyway, as per my previous post I think our resident poster of the year (Pykie) got it spot on. That is where Taz is at and it with blokes like Boomer, Ats, NDS, BMac and so on slamming it down his throat, he will have a great opportunity to step up in 2014.

i stated way back lindsay would only need .5 a goal a game to be a 40 plus forward and silence the nay sayers. Taz is in the same boat, he is being questiioned by many here after a year with injuries that nobody could put a finger on it, it had to play on his mind yet he was straight kicking away from actually improving in every area. If he gets a clear run at it I can see him silencing most around here. He can actually take decent mark its just not consistent yet. I think he has as much to offer as some of the other 3rd talls going around.

I think it's make or break for Robbie in 2014. I still have the faith and think he will have a great year. He shouldn't be judged on G.B as he sometimes plays the decoy role. Anyway think he will kick 36.15

Robbie is going to be the perennial scape-goat on the board next year based purely on the fact that Petrie is clearly the spearhead of our forward line, and Blacky is the next Carey in the eyes of many on this board.

We can't reasonably expect each of the 3 key forwards to consistently get on the score-board each match, especially with our really dangerous small forwards; and practically it would be foolish to have each forward geared in exactly the same manner. I think the focus areas for Robbie are:

* Ensure he takes a key defender - with Robbie's size and strength, engaging the key defender will hopefully remove their attacking ability

* Ensure that he competes for every contest - regardless of what we have to say about his marking (and he's no Stewy Lowe) the one thing that Robbie always does is create a contest. There aren't that many forwards that always impact the contest - and he'd be well ahead of someone like Black in this area. It makes him a predictable pressure valve; and with small forwards with the nous of Boomer and Lindsay, that's invaluable.

* Ensure he kicks straight - he's not great in this area. But hopefully can improve, as his technique is quite solid.

I really enjoy watching Robbie play, and trying to figure out what game style Brad has for him. His leading patterns are always interesting, and indicitive of a forward that "gets it." He gets into dangerous positions, and takes his defenders away from the play, and then cuts back to impact the play, he does this really well and it's a great mix, because it means that the opposition has to play a more athletic defender on him. As Blacky develops next year, the reward will be in that Blacky will have a less mobile forward on him...or you'll find an undersized defender on Taz - if that happens then he MUST capitalise.

I'm bullish - he'll never be a great player IMO, but you can never underestimate the presence of a 3rd genuine key forward to stretch defences.

tl;dr - I like Robbie 32:24.

Nailed it.

so you want your 196cm 100kg marking forward with a diabolical history of shoulder problems tackling blokes and throwing them to the ground
why not accept he is quite likely to injure himself and let him just go thru the motions
rather more important the other forwards do the harassing IMO

Understand where you're coming from but don't agree.

(Full Metal) Tackling from all 22 named players is an absolute non-negotiable. End of story.

I like Robbie, but if he can't kick 40 goals next year being the 3rd banana in the best forward line in the AFL, then yeah nah, it's gotta be Majak/Wood time.

If he is injured or battling fitness, rest him - we shouldn't be playing underdone players in any position.

Having Nicky Dal deliver him 20 or so laces out passes will ensure he kicks more goals than in any of his previous years.

Give me 40 from 17 games, please.

i stated way back lindsay would only need .5 a goal a game to be a 40 plus forward and silence the nay sayers. Taz is in the same boat.

Interesting theory. How exactly does that work?

Is the AFL season now 80 games + as per American sports? If so, sounds great!

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #25: Robbie Tarrant - traded to RFC for CCJ&picks - 2yr deal at RFC - 174 NM games/44 NM goals - retires 13/7/23 effective immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Back