250th for TEX

Remove this Banner Ad

Here’s a very interesting stat comparison between Tex and Hawkins:

The key stats between them are nearly inseparable for average marks, disposals and scoring output.

Then if you take into account Hawkins has been the benefactor of score involvements with some of the best midfielders in their prime in the last 2 decades in Ablett, Bartel, Selwood. Meanwhile, Tex had to battle through plenty more injuries, suspensions, media scrutiny/attacks, and leading the group through some of its darkest days.

It’s arguable who is the better player between the two. Much less arguable in terms of the biases shown by the AFL with Hawkins having 5 AAs and Tex with none.

Great leader, club man and player. Bleeds the tricolours. Our greatest forward post Modra.
The media should be ashamed of how they have treated him. Plenty of other bellend players have done worse things but the VFL and VFL media turn a blind eye. The club under Fagan was spineless in backing Tex up.

Well done Tex on 250. I hope you turn back the clock and decimate the already wounded Eagles even though I would prefer it to be a Victorian side.

Last edited:

The key stats between them are nearly inseparable for average marks, disposals and scoring output.

Then if you take into account Hawkins has been the benefactor of score involvements with some of the best midfielders in their prime in the last 2 decades in Ablett, Bartel, Selwood. Meanwhile, Tex had to battle through plenty more injuries, suspensions, media scrutiny/attacks, and leading the group through some of its darkest days.

It’s arguable who is the better player between the two. Much less arguable in terms of the biases shown by the AFL with Hawkins having 5 AAs and Tex with none.
AAs don't get picked on career averages though, they get picked on peaks. Hawkins averages for goals especially has been dragged down by his first 5 years.

His AAs have come in the last 4 years when he's been undisputably better. 2012 Tex probably should've got the nod.

Hawkins has played 100 more games and 200 more goals. Hes been very consistent as well and rarel been injured. TEx has been managed throughout his career and never had a full season of 22 games other than 2015 - 2017

Tex's best years were when he was captain 2015, 16 and 17. Averaged 50 goals in each of those years. And he had his highest posession counts during those years.

Walker

1686187356553.png

Hawkins

1686187403438.png

AAs don't get picked on career averages though, they get picked on peaks. Hawkins averages for goals especially has been dragged down by his first 5 years.

His AAs have come in the last 4 years when he's been undisputably better. 2012 Tex probably should've got the nod.
I’m not quite arguing that Hawkins isn’t a great player. His stats alone warrants respect by any footy fan, and it’s looked extra good likely with the assistance from a well-drilled Cats midfield engine.

The issue that I see, is with Tex having near identical core mean stats as a forward, there should be some sort of recognition on his achievements. If you also take into account he was rated the AFL’s best captain by his peers 2 years in a row several years ago, there is merit to asking the question “how come no AA?” It’s not something I’m going to lose sleep over, though just can’t help but feel a little miffed for Tex that there is a probable amount of snobbing going on by the AFL judges.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw this clip recently with Lever talking about Tex among other content:

If I hadn’t seen him talk in the video, I would have assumed they still hate each other’s guts. Seems there was initially some bad blood with Tex knowing Lever was going to leave end of 2017, but he’s confirmed that they seem to have patched things up and still communicate via tweets and the odd occasions.

Y
Hawkins has played 100 more games and 200 more goals. Hes been very consistent as well and rarel been injured. TEx has been managed throughout his career and never had a full season of 22 games other than 2015 - 2017

Tex's best years were when he was captain 2015, 16 and 17. Averaged 50 goals in each of those years. And he had his highest posession counts during those years.

Walker

View attachment 1707112

Hawkins

View attachment 1707114
Id pick Walker every day of t week

250 games for this champion.

Hoping we all get down to the game Saturday to cheer on this legend and I hope he kicks a big bag.

P.s. at the risk of turning this thread to Riccuito and McLeod highlights, Tex is my favourite all time crows player.View attachment 1704256
Tex.
Maaaaate, the mullet :drunk: :grimacing:.

What were you thinking? (no offence intended to Current BF mullet-owners)

Should've made the 2015 AA side.

2017 and 19 you could make an argument and he wouldn't have been unworthy.

2012 you could make an argument, but he probably would've been unworthy though.

2021 he was on track until his brain fart at Prospect Oval.

Going forward - I'd give him another 1 year contract. But I'm thinking maybe a 2025 retire.

Tex is an absolute footy star if you look purely at his footballing skills. Not many big forwards can boast ambidextrous skills the way Tex does. He’s so good with either side of his body, and both for handballs and kicks, that it’s nearly impossible to tell which is his dominant side! Then you add the skills of precision kicking and kicks that can usually go 60m in a game, this makes his a potential threat anywhere from within the 55m arc.
This, especially.

Imagine if Keays and a few others were as good with both feet. I wish!

Tex!
The man, the player, the candy-seller, the mark-and-goal, the exclamation --- TEX!!

His blood circulates in red, blue and goal hoops.

Great Club and team man (I've changed my avatar to celebrate his 250th). Love the bloke.

Remove this Banner Ad

250th for TEX

Remove this Banner Ad

Back