Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Constructive dismissal is when an employer wants to sack an employee but can't, so makes their experience crappy enough that they end up quitting.

If Robbieando struggled to understand what the term meant, he could have Googled it, asked me to clarify, or any other number of things rather than a passive aggressive emoji and then "You can read what you wrote".

You were fully supportive of his “constructive dismissal” 12 months ago by playing him as a forward to end his career.

However constructive dismissal in a sporting context is a poor argument to make as any player not selected, omitted, made the sub or played out of position by your logic is being constructively dismissed.

However the match committee is obligated to pick what they think is the best side to win each week not what is best for each individual on the list.

So yes I know the term, just pointing out that you are just being a hypocrite.

You were fully supportive of his “constructive dismissal” 12 months ago by playing him as a forward to end his career.

However constructive dismissal in a sporting context is a poor argument to make as any player not selected, omitted, made the sub or played out of position by your logic is being constructively dismissed.

However the match committee is obligated to pick what they think is the best side to win each week not what is best for each individual on the list.

So yes I know the term, just pointing out that you are just being a hypocrite.

Wtf are you on about man?

Suggesting he could play for a number of years as a walk up start in our forward line is not the same as supporting him playing in VFL for half the season and as sub for the other half of it. I've clarified this for you already but you're still sticking with it.

It's not a poor argument at all, Punts has also said the same, we're pushing him out. We're playing him as sub to make him look for a move considering we can't trade him against his will.

It's amazing though that when he's actually played he's contributed and isn't just being handed games for the sake of it.

I'm not being a hypocrite at all you just can't comprehend what's actually being discussed and have jumped in half cocked with a 12 month old post proud as punch when you don't actually know what's going on.

I'm not going to get into another back and forth on this shit so maybe someone else can point out what an idiot you're making of yourself.

Think he is the perfect sub for finals if they think h e isn’t best 22

Impact front half as as we have seen in 1 quarter the impact in the c enter when the ball needs to go forward

Adams or Cleary personally. There is a role for him. Doesn’t help to miss the first 16 games of the season at his age and expect to walk back into the starting lineup.

Sub against North was understandable in that context, full game against Brisbane and off that game I can understand why he was made sub against the Bulldogs.

However he should never have been the sub against Port but it’s now at the point where he has started more games than he was the sub.

He will provide an impact in the midfield in bursts but will be more than a handy target up forward.

How ****ing good is Luke Parker tonight!

That's where my comment on constructive dismissal comes into it (even though Robbieando clearly doesn't get the concept). I would think he's made up his mind because of how we treated him to start the year and even since coming back into the team, making him sub so much. We've basically made his mind up for him in that sense.
I really think that bolded bit is pure speculation and transferring your feelings to Luke. From the moment he arrived, we have heard about his professionalism. If he does want to coach, then finishing out his career at another club, with a developmental/coaching role would surely be advantageous to him? Especially if he is looking to come home to coach?

He has been great since he came back in, but I still think that he will have trouble making the 22 next year if all are fit and well. Caiden Cleary is doing everything he is asked, and Matt Roberts is simply outstanding and keeps growing before our eyes. Heeney will be 29 next year, Miills 28 and Grundy 31... there is surely a limit to how many older players we can keep?

Please don't think that I'm bagging him, I'm not... but he is absolutely wasted in the VFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really think that bolded bit is pure speculation and transferring your feelings to Luke. From the moment he arrived, we have heard about his professionalism. If he does want to coach, then finishing out his career at another club, with a developmental/coaching role would surely be advantageous to him? Especially if he is looking to come home to coach?

He has been great since he came back in, but I still think that he will have trouble making the 22 next year if all are fit and well. Caiden Cleary is doing everything he is asked, and Matt Roberts is simply outstanding and keeps growing before our eyes. Heeney will be 29 next year, Miills 28 and Grundy 31... there is surely a limit to how many older players we can keep?

Please don't think that I'm bagging him, I'm not... but he is absolutely wasted in the VFL!

What speculation? I'm talking about making him play close to a month in the VFL when Mills came straight back in and looked terribly unfit. Parker played several good games in the VFL including the match winner against North, and by that stage there was a place for him in the seniors with Wicks adding very little, but we still refused to play him and then the rest is history with the suspension.

What speculation? I'm talking about making him play close to a month in the VFL when Mills came straight back in and looked terribly unfit. Parker played several good games in the VFL including the match winner against North, and by that stage there was a place for him in the seniors with Wicks adding very little, but we still refused to play him and then the rest is history with the suspension.
It just seems patently clear that after our hot start to the year, his papers were stamped as surplus to requirements. But like the champion he is, has come out and proven all his critics wrong. It's going to be interesting to see how he is treated in the finals with stars to come back. His excellent form should be rewarded but I wouldn't be surprised if Horse doubles down and leaves him out or plays him as sub under the guise that he doesn't fit in to the style we want to play.

It just seems patently clear that after our hot start to the year, his papers were stamped as surplus to requirements. But like the champion he is, has come out and proven all his critics wrong. It's going to be interesting to see how he is treated in the finals with stars to come back. His excellent form should be rewarded but I wouldn't be surprised if Horse doubles down and leaves him out or plays him as sub under the guise that he doesn't fit in to the style we want to play.

Yeah I just mentioned in the media thread, but if he's dropped/made sub over Adams it speaks volumes, and those claiming the club are just playing him on his merits and not engaging in constructive dismissal may look a bit silly.

Yeah I just mentioned in the media thread, but if he's dropped/made sub over Adams it speaks volumes, and those claiming the club are just playing him on his merits and not engaging in constructive dismissal may look a bit silly.
But the supporters of Adams will say they're different players and not in competition. Adams is a combative, in and under player who supports our gun mids with extraction and blocks. Apparently our gun mids can't do their stuff without Adams, even though they looked great in the first few rounds without him.

I saw a little of his good work last night but at 60% ToG, I think our mids can cope just fine without him..........

But the supporters of Adams will say they're different players and not in competition. Adams is a combative, in and under player who supports our gun mids with extraction and blocks. Apparently our gun mids can't do their stuff without Adams, even though they looked great in the first few rounds without him.

I saw a little of his good work last night but at 60% ToG, I think our mids can cope just fine without him..........
Adams isn’t much at all

New recruit things going on

Adams was recruited to bolster our midfield depth -- which imo he has done.

It would seem pretty counterproductive to me in the very next offseason to weaken our midfield depth by letting go of Parker who has proven he is still very capable of contributing in the midfield albeit in shorter bursts.

Adams was recruited to bolster our midfield depth -- which imo he has done.

It would seem pretty counterproductive to me in the very next offseason to weaken our midfield depth by letting go of Parker who has proven he is still very capable of contributing in the midfield albeit in shorter bursts.
Would also be dumb to get rid of a guy that can kick 2 goals a game as a forward

Correct me if I'm wrong but are GWS not Luke Parker's bunnies? I feel like he plays substantially better against them than any other team.

Kicked 5 against them playing forward in round 1 a few years back and has a bunch of Brett Kirk Medals (not that they mean anything)

It's no guarantee of anything as we've still lost games against them even when he's played well, but it should get him up and about.

Correct me if I'm wrong but are GWS not Luke Parker's bunnies? I feel like he plays substantially better against them than any other team.

Kicked 5 against them playing forward in round 1 a few years back and has a bunch of Brett Kirk Medals (not that they mean anything)

It's no guarantee of anything as we've still lost games against them even when he's played well, but it should get him up and about.
Gulden has also won both of them this year

Gulden has also won both of them this year
Well yeah but Parker hasn't played GWS yet this year.

Not saying he'd win it again, or that the medal actually reflects who was BOG, but I just feel like he always elevates for games against them, and some of his best ever games have come against them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back