Autopsy 26 point win against West Coast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah I only caught the 4th, and it looked like a much better team comfortably getting the job done.

Looking at the scoring breakdown, I can imagine if I’d sat through the 2nd quarter, I’d feel very differently.

But equally if it looks like we squandered the chance to put on about 6 goals in 15 minutes at the start of the game?

Watch the first 3 quarters for a different perspective on today performance.

David Byrne Dancing GIF

"I've got a girlfriend that's better than that ... "
Not if your name is Wicks you don't.

We're not a premiership-calibre team atm. We don't have enough leaders around the ground and are really missing Rampe, Parker and Mills.

As a team, we're still showing signs of immaturity. A team primed for a premiership would have easily accounted for Richmond and West Coast, but I think the players started believing the hype and thought they only needed to show up. Horse needs to break down that mentality and let the group know they're capable of achieving the ultimate, but they ultimately haven't achieved anything. The group needs to focus on each individual game, and each individual moment within that game. The lapses in concentration are what end your season in finals, so each game is an opportunity to prove to yourself and your team mates that you're mentally switched on at all times.

Heeney has been exceptional, please keep doing what you're doing.
Warner is liable to drink his own bathwater. Coaches need to challenge him to focus on the fundamentals and make sure he's doing the basics right, and his attacking game will naturally flow from there.
Amartey has not shown enough, I'd be looking at giving Reid an opportunity.
The forward line as a whole isn't functioning all that well but hopefully we strike the right balance throughout the year. Need Wicks back in the side.
Grundy has been a great addition and will continue to build synergy with our mids
Taylor will be better for the run.

Lots of improvement to be made and need our seniors back ASAP so we have more choices at the selection table.

I think there's more to the Wicks situation than we're led to believe. If Wicks was playing the last 2 games I think we'd be looking at a different situation right now.

1st quarter we were on top but couldn’t convert.
2nd was terrible.
3rd was a wrestle but we gained control back.
4th we got on top.

It wasn’t all terrible.
While I agree. It was the eagles and we were very flat and had a lot of poor moments. It was a very poor display from a team at the opposite end of the ladder.

1st quarter we were on top but couldn’t convert.
2nd was terrible.
3rd was a wrestle but we gained control back.
4th we got on top.

It wasn’t all terrible.

What i meant to summarise was if we were facing better opposition we would lost the game between the 2nd to 3rd quarter.

It was really only the last 6 mins of the game where we got a little break on the scoreboard but for the most part the margin was ~11 points.

You can see West Coast set themselves for this after last year's humiliation. They beat us in just about every key stat - not encouraging news for an aspiring premier. But they clearly lifted. Harley Reid is really something.

Our best players stood up when it counted - Heeney, Gulden, Grundy, the usual suspects.

A bit hard to figure where we are at. Whether we’ve dropped our bundle in the last two weeks, or whether we’ve been supposedly ‘worked out.' I wonder if the Wicks affairs isn’t impacting some players’ performance.

Taylor Adams must be delighted he’s escaped playing half forward for the Pies so he can play half forward for the Swans.

The bye comes at a good time.

You can see West Coast set themselves for this after last year's humiliation. They beat us in just about every key stat - not encouraging news for an aspiring premier. But they clearly lifted. Harley Reid is really something.

Our best players stood up when it counted - Heeney, Gulden, Grundy, the usual suspects.

A bit hard to figure where we are at. Whether we’ve dropped our bundle in the last two weeks, or whether we’ve been supposedly ‘worked out.' I wonder if the Wicks affairs isn’t impacting some players’ performance.

Taylor Adams must be delighted he’s escaped playing half forward for the Pies so he can play half forward for the Swans.

The bye comes at a good time.
Just easing Adams in and building his match fitness. HF role was the right call, he was a little off the pace at times but will build from here.

Just read through half of the first page.. got to a Mod who said "IMO that was sh*thouse"
too much negativity, not reading further

We won
start the season 4 and 1
Mills, Rampe, Parker to come back.. and Adams has only played 1 game
Heeney best in the game right now.. today 26 disposals, 2 goals, 4 goal assists - I remember a few posters wanted to trade him.. wonder if they're the same negative posters I just read

I've not read the whole thread, but enough posts to know that some people would do well to listen to Longmire's press conference. Just the first couple of minutes. "It's really hard to win games of AFL."

Those lamenting the performances of the last two weeks aren't giving enough credit to Richmond or West Coast. They both played pretty well, in parts.

And West Coast aren't this mega-young team. Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Barrass, Darling, McGovern, Cripps, Waterman. Plenty of experience there, and mostly in big-bodied packages. The opening post of this thread shows that, on average (mean), they were about six months younger than us and 20 games per player less experienced. And taller and heavier. I know means only tell part of the story, but I don't think the snapshot they show in this instant is too distorted.

They played OK today. There really isn't much of an excuse for how poor they've been for the last few weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would describe my feelings on Florent's year as 'whelmed.'

I don't find him particularly good, but I don't find him particularly bad either.

Not really breaking lines or hitting targets like you'd want him to, but if there's a lasting image of him from the first five games - other than being seemingly MIA - it's keeping his eyes on the ball to take important marks in defence on his opponent.
He played a great game today.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Anyone disappointed in what Florent is producing atm and where he is at?

He hasn’t come on in imo
I haven't had high expectations of him for a while now. He's in that bracket of players like Hayward and Cunningham. Nothing special, plays his role with the occasional highlight.

I've not read the whole thread, but enough posts to know that some people would do well to listen to Longmire's press conference. Just the first couple of minutes. "It's really hard to win games of AFL."

Those lamenting the performances of the last two weeks aren't giving enough credit to Richmond or West Coast. They both played pretty well, in parts.

And West Coast aren't this mega-young team. Yeo, Kelly, Duggan, Barrass, Darling, McGovern, Cripps, Waterman. Plenty of experience there, and mostly in big-bodied packages. The opening post of this thread shows that, on average (mean), they were about six months younger than us and 20 games per player less experienced. And taller and heavier. I know means only tell part of the story, but I don't think the snapshot they show in this instant is too distorted.

They played OK today. There really isn't much of an excuse for how poor they've been for the last few weeks.

"It's really hard to win games of AFL."

Those are the type of comments from Horse that have resulted in his playing group capitulating in grand finals.

When there's a gulf in talent between 2 sides, the only time it's hard to win a game of AFL against a lesser opponent is when you went into the game thinking the talent differential alone will get you the win.

There were plenty of reasons why both games went the way they did, and they point to deficiencies in our team. The Essendon game was similar, we just managed to scrap our way to a win.

Some of our seniors need to lift because the heavy lifting this season has been done by the same few.

"It's really hard to win games of AFL."

Those are the type of comments from Horse that have resulted in his playing group capitulating in grand finals.

When there's a gulf in talent between 2 sides, the only time it's hard to win a game of AFL against a lesser opponent is when you went into the game thinking the talent differential alone will get you the win.

There were plenty of reasons why both games went the way they did, and they point to deficiencies in our team. The Essendon game was similar, we just managed to scrap our way to a win.

Some of our seniors need to lift because the heavy lifting this season has been done by the same few.

People ask for answers/questions as to why we often drop games we should win today is a fine example as to why we dropped the game vs Richmond.

Cut our short kicks completely off and force us to kick long to a contest we have no answer to that at this stage.

Just fortunately for us today was a much inferior opposition to last week.

Horse just rolls out the same old crap at his pressers every week - in one sense it's just bs and the other sense , he isn't one to give away things or blast players in the media anyway.

It's just 5 minutes of him playing a straight bat , have heard the afl games hard to win one a few times now

Lloyd is giving us absolutely nothing atm. He has no role. The team has gone past him

I mean if he performs at his best he can play on the wing , but his form is shocking .

But he won't be dropped

It's just 5 minutes of him playing a straight bat , have heard the afl games hard to win one a few times now
Do you think they're easy to win?

We have some limitations in our team (and squad) at the moment, and one of those is that our midfielders are all relatively slight. Maybe that's a blind spot on Beatson's part. But more likely it's because the really good, big bodied midfielders (Petracca, Martin, Green, De Goey, Bontempelli etc - almost certainly Harley Reid in the future, maybe Reuben Ginbey too) tend to go early in the draft. They're not easy to find.

So Longmire has crafted a game plan to make the best use of what he has at his disposal. But other teams have good players too. They can't be relied to always roll over in the way that Collingwood did a few weeks ago.

I think our first few weeks have given some an exaggerated view of how good our team is. They are good, but not so good that they are guaranteed to win so long as they turn up every week.

Today's game was far more valuable than a 171 point win. Especially in April. Premierships aren't won in April. The losses or hard fought wins teach teams how to find different ways to win.

If we’ve just had 2 flat weeks, then I’m not particularly worried - it happens.

If, however, the Wicks matter has more to it & has contributed to the slump in on-field performance, then it’s a major concern.

And today’s performance didn’t do anything to allay that nagging worry.

Do you think they're easy to win?

We have some limitations in our team (and squad) at the moment, and one of those is that our midfielders are all relatively slight. Maybe that's a blind spot on Beatson's part. But more likely it's because the really good, big bodied midfielders (Petracca, Martin, Green, De Goey, Bontempelli etc - almost certainly Harley Reid in the future, maybe Reuben Ginbey too) tend to go early in the draft. They're not easy to find.

So Longmire has crafted a game plan to make the best use of what he has at his disposal. But other teams have good players too. They can't be relied to always roll over in the way that Collingwood did a few weeks ago.

I think our first few weeks have given some an exaggerated view of how good our team is. They are good, but not so good that they are guaranteed to win so long as they turn up every week.

Today's game was far more valuable than a 171 point win. Especially in April. Premierships aren't won in April. The losses or hard fought wins teach teams how to find different ways to win.

I think West Coast are a rabble and as close to easy to beat as you get in the AFL. Yes any dog can have its day and I accept that completely. But it's something Longmire has run with quite a few times after a rubbish performance and it's just media rhetoric IMHO.

I am not necessarily criticising it either, like I said he is clearly not in the business of giving the media anything other than we respect the opponent , we need to work hard etc. He is not going to come out and say for example Player X Was pathetic today and is close to being dropped or the players were arrogant today. that was more my
point that I'm really not interested in Longmires press comments as it's just going through the motions , I also don't consider he has to give the media any more either .

Do we have a slight midfield yes to a degree but we also try to work in fast and in the corridor so is that a result or the list or what the club targeted, Mills Parker and Adams will assist with that .

I think everything you say is reasonable but West Coast who I randomly watched every game of this year are a woefully inadequate team and it should never have gotten close.
We played some awful footy today, completely awful .

Did we learn from today? no I'd disagree, you bank the win for sure, but they will probably burn and bury the crap they dished up today and they need to have a good hard look at some of the laziness creeping in.

Games are also harder to win with a coach who makes minimal structural moves, players midfielders as forwards and vice versa and continues to play people who aren't fit enough (Amartey) or out of form (Lloyd) .

Yes we aren't romping through and going undefeated but we have the talent to be a contender.

But again win , lose, draw I learn nothing from a longmire presser so don't really care what he rolled out with this week or next or the week after sorry.

Did we learn from today? no I'd disagree, you bank the win for sure, but they will probably burn and bury the crap they dished up today and they need to have a good hard look at some of the laziness creeping in
But we adjusted the ball movement as the game progressed. I suspect the main lesson to learn is how to recognise sooner that they need to adjust the way they move the ball if the opposition is blocking plan A.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back