Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Basically sounds like 'if I'm in for another year like this year I'll look elsewhere'. Fair enough.
Funnily enough he might think he's in the same position Adams was last year.

If I'm Parker I probably thinking I've got 1yr left at the Swans but Kangas might be offering me 2-3yrs.

Funnily enough he might think he's in the same position Adams was last year.

If I'm Parker I probably thinking I've got 1yr left at the Swans but Kangas might be offering me 2-3yrs.

I'd love him to stick it out for one more year in that case and then go to North for 2 years. His body has shown he's got a few left in him.

I don't think those offers will be there in another season

Why?

I don't quite see the logic in North offering him a 2-3 year deal but in a year's time not thinking he's worth a 1-2 year deal.

It'd also be easier to do a deal for him in a year when he's out of contract.

I think it would only enhance Parker’s reputation as a Blood if he went to a developing club and then years later the players were winning games and crediting Parker for instilling a strong culture in their club.

Sydney has evidentially indicated that we think can build on Parker’s legacy and reinvent how we play to go up another level. We should relish Parker helping another club to lift its standards so it keeps pushing us to be the best we can be.

All power to Parker if he moves on. I’d wish him every success with his new club, except when he plays the swans - in which case I hope we use our inside knowledge to exploit his every weakness and win the game!
Pardon the intrusion, but I feel compelled to say this is one of the most magnanimous observations I’ve ever read on this website.

Why?

I don't quite see the logic in North offering him a 2-3 year deal but in a year's time not thinking he's worth a 1-2 year deal.

It'd also be easier to do a deal for him in a year when he's out of contract.
They need him off the field more than they need him on the field. Waste a year if you don't take him now, better off going elsewhere

They need him off the field more than they need him on the field. Waste a year if you don't take him now, better off going elsewhere

Is there another obvious option who they would take this off-season if Parker stayed? Not sure there's players lining up to join North and in 12 months they'd still be pretty keen to take him if he's available.

Is there another obvious option who they would take this off-season if Parker stayed? Not sure there's players lining up to join North and in 12 months they'd still be pretty keen to take him if he's available.
Another year they'd get him as a free agent yeah and isn't next year's draft when the Tassie stuff starts? If we trade him this year then we will be getting something.

Yeah I'm thinking he wants out from his interview this morning. A simple "I'm contracted to next year" wouldn't be hard if that was all there is to it.

It would be a shame, but probably in both parties' best interest.

I didn't read it as 'I want out' I think it was a 'I need to see something from the club that tells me they want me to stay'.

Another Parker disappointment doing very little in a final. Is he just a H&A bully?

12 possessions
1 tackle
14 pressure actions
9 cba
1 centre clearance
3 clearance overall

Stands still a lot and watches and then too slow to make any real effort to the opposition.

Sent from my SM-G990E using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Parker disappointment doing very little in a final. Is he just a H&A bully?

12 possessions
1 tackle
14 pressure actions
9 cba
1 centre clearance
3 clearance overall

Stands still a lot and watches and then too slow to make any real effort to the opposition.

That's certainly a take.

'Another'? Care to point out the last Finals miss from him?

He was one of our best against the Blues last year in Finals, was massive in 22 in the QF and PF, and had just the 13 more touches than any other player in the EF in 2021, so not sure I'd agree he's 'just a H&A bully'. Outside of the 2022 GF and this QF he's been one of our standouts in Finals in recent years. And hell, even in 2022 only Fox and Warner had more touches, and he had the 14 tackles with the next best being 6, so you could make a case that he wasn't even poor in the GF.

I'm not going to sit here and claim he was in our best on the weekend, and I'm also very aware I regularly come into bat for him so some would call that a bias of some sort, but the amount of slander directed at one of the legends of our club is just plain weird.

What ever happens with Parker happens. If he does leave the club and we get say their pick 32 or 42, we need to get another marking forward as Parker was put into the side to play moreso that role and part time midfield.

12 possessions
1 tackle
14 pressure actions
9 cba
1 centre clearance
3 clearance overall

Funny, when some other players put up a similar stat line they're lauded for being an important part of the structure of a winning team 🤔

Funny, when some other players put up a similar stat line they're lauded for being an important part of the structure of a winning team 🤔
People always have favourites just some are able to differentiate when they its a down performance or a long term not up to standard. He still has 11 goals in 8 games and 3 of those games were sub games. For reference he has 8 goals in 4 non sub games and was 8 in 3 before the week 1 finals game.

I didn't read it as 'I want out' I think it was a 'I need to see something from the club that tells me they want me to stay'.
How about the last 14 years of paying him, selecting him in 290+ games, giving him the captaincy, awarding him B&F medals three times, giving him multiple 4 & 5 year deals?

The club has been very good to Parker, as he's been to them. I really don't think they owe him anything more than what he's already got - a contract to the end of next year. If he's wanting anything more - as is his right - then that's on him.

How about the last 14 years of paying him, selecting him in 290+ games, giving him the captaincy, awarding him B&F medals three times, giving him multiple 4 & 5 year deals?

The club has been very good to Parker, as he's been to them. I really don't think they owe him anything more than what he's already got - a contract to the end of next year. If he's wanting anything more - as is his right - then that's on him.

I'm not quite sure what this post even means?

Are you suggesting anyone who has played for 250+ games or won some awards should play for free because of the good will the club has shown them? If you aren't, then what relevance does his 290+ games, captaincy, B&F etc. have to do with next year?

All Parker (or I suppose my interpretation of his comments) is suggesting is if there isn't a role for him next season he'll look around for where there is a role for him. How you took that comment/suggestion to where you've taken it I have no idea.

I'm not quite sure what this post even means?

Are you suggesting anyone who has played for 250+ games or won some awards should play for free because of the good will the club has shown them? If you aren't, then what relevance does his 290+ games, captaincy, B&F etc. have to do with next year?

All Parker (or I suppose my interpretation of his comments) is suggesting is if there isn't a role for him next season he'll look around for where there is a role for him. How you took that comment/suggestion to where you've taken it I have no idea.
I'm saying that the club has done their bit for Parker, and Parker's done his bit for the club. It's been a great and long relationship over the journey between player & club. So when you say Parker "needs to see something from the club that tells him they want him to stay", I'm saying that I don't think the club owes him anything, in which case Parker is wise to look around for someone who will give him something.

I'm saying that the club has done their bit for Parker, and Parker's done his bit for the club. It's been a great and long relationship over the journey between player & club. So when you say Parker "needs to see something from the club that tells him they want him to stay", I'm saying that I don't think the club owes him anything, in which case Parker is wise to look around for someone who will give him something.
The one thing that the club owes every player is respect. Players like Parker have more in the bank than most due to their longevity and role in the club. So far I don't believe the club has disrespected Parker but he might feel as if they (mainly Horse) have due to the time he spent out of seniors and maybe some uncertainty about his likely role next year. Hopefully that gets sorted at his exit interview but my guess is that he will choose to move on for a longer contract and a bigger role and the club will give its blessing. The similarities between his situation and Adams' are stunning.

The one thing that the club owes every player is respect. Players like Parker have more in the bank than most due to their longevity and role in the club. So far I don't believe the club has disrespected Parker but he might feel as if they (mainly Horse) have due to the time he spent out of seniors and maybe some uncertainty about his likely role next year. Hopefully that gets sorted at his exit interview but my guess is that he will choose to move on for a longer contract and a bigger role and the club will give its blessing. The similarities between his situation and Adams' are stunning.
Agree that the club owes its players, particularly its longest serving ones, respect. I just have zero doubts that the club has shown Parker the respect he deserves this year.

Agree that the club owes its players, particularly its longest serving ones, respect. I just have zero doubts that the club has shown Parker the respect he deserves this year.
"So far I don't believe the club has disrespected Parker...". Perhaps Parker doesn't like the look of the present or the future. Hard to know for sure.

"So far I don't believe the club has disrespected Parker...". Perhaps Parker doesn't like the look of the present or the future. Hard to know for sure.
Not selecting someone or having a role for them in the team isn't disrespecting them though. Parker would surely know this, even if it is unfamiliar territory for him.

Right? I'm not saying they owe him anything either I'm saying that he'll look at what his role is next year and whether the club wants him before making a call?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back