Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
He is right up there leading the team in goal assists so I think your opinion is based on vibes rather than what happens on the field.

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why are you assuming that the goal assists come from his midfield work?
His forward craft, hack kicks, moving the ball forward, and big body all bring other forward into the game at close range.

I can't find any stat's on his inside 50 retention rate, but I think we can all distinctly remember Parker bombing the ball into 50 hoping to create something. We can also remember him working in close, bring a mark down, making a goal from nothing.

I think goal assists almost prove what I'm saying.

You cant be ruthless in AFL, the players have rights in our league unlike the American sports.

The way to be ruthless in AFL for a player mid-contract is to piss them off or waste their time enough that they ask for a trade, in which case you lose all leverage in a trade anyway.

Why are you assuming that the goal assists come from his midfield work?
His forward craft, hack kicks, moving the ball forward, and big body all bring other forward into the game at close range.

I can't find any stat's on his inside 50 retention rate, but I think we can all distinctly remember Parker bombing the ball into 50 hoping to create something. We can also remember him working in close, bring a mark down, making a goal from nothing.

I think goal assists almost prove what I'm saying.
He's a good forward I agree, but I can think of two or three kicks from midfield marked in the forward line recently.

But more importantly, he is our best mid. We just can't replace him in there and playing him more forward is robbing (our weak inexperienced midfield) Peter to pay (our consistent and hardest area to match up on) Paul

He's a good forward I agree, but I can think of two or three kicks from midfield marked in the forward line recently.

But more importantly, he is our best mid. We just can't replace him in there and playing him more forward is robbing (our weak inexperienced midfield) Peter to pay (our consistent and hardest area to match up on) Paul

What are you using to say he's our best mid?

I can also think of 2-3 kicks a game that get rebounded to the opponents inside 50. Those same kicks, closer to the goal face, are much more dangerous. He's dangerous on the 50m arc, but hack kicks with shallow entries in are all too often.

parker gets lumped with jpk a lot, and lets be real he isnt a patch on kennedy
JPK at Parker's age dragged us over the line multiple times.

Parker is still inconsistent as hell week to week. Can be really good (A grader), but then have brain fades trying to soccer off the ground and even mid air, leaving you head scratching

Just in this season, kicks captains goal 2 weeks ago, but then I think it was against GWS? Taps the ball into space in the dying minutes

Parker gets too much hate on this board. He's an absolute club champion, on track to 300 games yet all anyone says is he isn't a world beater..... Feels like the problem is everyone else's expectations and not his performances

What hate ? He gets lauded as a superstar and voted in the bests every week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you using to say he's our best mid?

I can also think of 2-3 kicks a game that get rebounded to the opponents inside 50. Those same kicks, closer to the goal face, are much more dangerous. He's dangerous on the 50m arc, but hack kicks with shallow entries in are all too often.
I watch the game? And he seems to be most often the player getting his hands on the balls and winnjnf back momentum our way. He scores goals from midfield, wins territory and contested ball, sets up goals and attacking possession chains, and sets the standard for attack in the ball and the opposition.

I think the extent to which Parker's kicking is a liability nis wildly overstated. Players who win the ball in close and have a half second to decide if they can hand ball it or kick for distance are always going to have more kicks to the opposition than players who receive the ball in space.

I think Parker has good vision and will attempt kicks other players don't see. I just don't buy the claim you are making, it's not something I notice when watching games outside of a few rushed kicks when he is tight in time and space on the inside.

I watch the game? And he seems to be most often the player getting his hands on the balls and winnjnf back momentum our way. He scores goals from midfield, wins territory and contested ball, sets up goals and attacking possession chains, and sets the standard for attack in the ball and the opposition.

I think the extent to which Parker's kicking is a liability nis wildly overstated. Players who win the ball in close and have a half second to decide if they can hand ball it or kick for distance are always going to have more kicks to the opposition than players who receive the ball in space.

I think Parker has good vision and will attempt kicks other players don't see. I just don't buy the claim you are making, it's not something I notice when watching games outside of a few rushed kicks when he is tight in time and space on the inside.

Ok, well honestly I feel that Warners, Florents, and Gulden far outperform Parker in their attacking intensity.

All of Dawons, Gulden, Florent, and Warner feature heavily, while Parker is nowhere to be seen.

Parker is a GREAT extractor, and I agree with a lot of what you say. The issue is that we have 3-4 very good extractors (and in my opionion Kennedy is still better than Parker) and I feel that Parker would be a BETTER forward. He becomes a dynamic weapon. So don't say "we need parker for these players to be in the position to deliver it inside 50". We have Mills, Rowbottom, JPK, and Hewett that can perform that job. It's an important job, but it's much more replacable than a quality half forward.

Our Midfield is soundly beaten with Parker and Kennedy at the helm in stoppage situations. I actually think that our midfield is very strong in general play, but gets exposed when we lose the help of our wingers.

This is NOT me insulting Parker, I agree he is a great player. It's like the arguement about where Heeney should play. I truely believe that Parker could be and a blow away forward.

This is probably the last I'll post about this since most of the arguements I've gotten are "oh, but Parker is such a good mid."
and before you say "we need help in the mids" we have been losing in the midfield for the past 4 years WITH Parker and JPK at the helm. We need a solution, and keeping the same player that has been there forever isn't the solution.

Ok, well honestly I feel that Warners, Florents, and Gulden far outperform Parker in their attacking intensity.

All of Dawons, Gulden, Florent, and Warner feature heavily, while Parker is nowhere to be seen.

Parker is a GREAT extractor, and I agree with a lot of what you say. The issue is that we have 3-4 very good extractors (and in my opionion Kennedy is still better than Parker) and I feel that Parker would be a BETTER forward. He becomes a dynamic weapon. So don't say "we need parker for these players to be in the position to deliver it inside 50". We have Mills, Rowbottom, JPK, and Hewett that can perform that job. It's an important job, but it's much more replacable than a quality half forward.

Our Midfield is soundly beaten with Parker and Kennedy at the helm in stoppage situations. I actually think that our midfield is very strong in general play, but gets exposed when we lose the help of our wingers.

This is NOT me insulting Parker, I agree he is a great player. It's like the arguement about where Heeney should play. I truely believe that Parker could be and a blow away forward.

This is probably the last I'll post about this since most of the arguements I've gotten are "oh, but Parker is such a good mid."
and before you say "we need help in the mids" we have been losing in the midfield for the past 4 years WITH Parker and JPK at the helm. We need a solution, and keeping the same player that has been there forever isn't the solution.

Preparing Rowbottom, Warner and Florent to be our next generation of extractors should be the priority for the second half of this season and how highly I rate Horse's rebuild* will depend on his willingness to do so. Loved what he's done with this team as a whole the last few years, but I still think he's got the media fooled by thinking he's rebuilding the midfield. Changing the fringe mids from Hewett & Jones to Rowbottom & Warner is just window dressing while the rest of the furniture is the same as it's been for the last decade. We just die by the same sword far too often and it would be better to at least die trying something new.

*Not that he would give a **** about my thoughts on his rebuild, and nor should he.

Last edited:
Nosey loves the Club. He recently talked about how much he wants to give back to it. I reckon he will take unders on his next contract.

From Day 1 he has been a heart and soul Bloods player.

Parker is an absolute bull, I'd hate to see how the midfield would get slaughtered if we gave both Parker and Kennedy a rest. I feel like it would be putting lambs to slaughter... however, you out the two bulls to work in the middle, and it allows your warners, mills, and florents to go to work and get the ball moving.

Imagine florent in the middle without Parker and JPK to take on the opposition's hardest mids, they'd physically give him a working over in the first 10 minutes of the game.

I think people are neglecting to take into consideration the physicality of the game and the players who are literally shouldering the load so the rest if the midfield can do their thing.

If anything, the rest of the kids should be replicating what warner has been able to do. And imo, that's not on Parker or JPK that's on the rest of the group.

Parker is an absolute bull, I'd hate to see how the midfield would get slaughtered if we gave both Parker and Kennedy a rest. I feel like it would be putting lambs to slaughter... however, you out the two bulls to work in the middle, and it allows your warners, mills, and florents to go to work and get the ball moving.

Imagine florent in the middle without Parker and JPK to take on the opposition's hardest mids, they'd physically give him a working over in the first 10 minutes of the game.

I think people are neglecting to take into consideration the physicality of the game and the players who are literally shouldering the load so the rest if the midfield can do their thing.

If anything, the rest of the kids should be replicating what warner has been able to do. And imo, that's not on Parker or JPK that's on the rest of the group.

I've said it so many times. If you play kids in supporting roles, you can't expect their output to be anything more than that of a supporting mid.

Heart and soul and keeping injured players etc are all old suburban footy things

We need to be ruthless

Parker is a great swans player but he is also a liability at times and if someone could be conned into offering overs then good I say

When it’s tough he is often the one making mistakes, and if someone wants to pay him in his declining years it’s worth exploring imo
Heart and soul and injured players are two separate things when talking about Parker. He's not injured and all clubs need that Heart and soul player- enter Bob Murphy. When you have too many Heart and soul players, that's the issue.

It's a coaching issue

I've said it so many times. If you play kids in supporting roles, you can't expect their output to be anything more than that of a supporting mid.
last match cba attendances
Parker 19
Mills 17 new mid in 21
Rowbottom 17 young mid
Kennedy 15
Florent 6 agreed would like to see him inside more

What other kids did you want in there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back