Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor is known for his soft tissue injuries at the pointy end of the season so there’s every chance Parker gets back in but now it gives Sheldrick the opportunity to press his case while Parker has to bide his time on the sidelines.

The only other way I can see Parker getting a sniff is if Wicks’s production as the pressure forward declines which seems doubtful.
Bwahahahahahaaaa. Sheldrick. Sheldrick is just a whistle to Parker's farts.

That's one third of the season (with byes VFL teams only play 18 games).

I acknowledge the injuries suffered by the Frankston player and that Luke chose to bump, but what do the tribunal now hand down for a deliberate raised elbow or a king hit that results in similar injuries?

Under the guidelines it was a 4 week suspension, if not sent to the tribunal.
Yes the players have to be held responsibility for their actions, but with the lack of malice, the sentence seems harsh to me.
The poor bastard just stepped into the line of the player running at the ball carrier. There was no more than that in it. Great shepherd, play on.

Parker should have been more careful. For most men, even some big men, running into a guy like Parker is like hitting a stone wall. The AFL/VFL is at least partly at fault for playing amateurs against professionals. Playing amateurs against full-time professionals is inviting injury. The AFL can't simply lay all the blame (and/or consequences) at the feet of the larger more experienced player.

We send AFL players to the reserves to sharpen their skills in the arena. They can't do that with wooden swords. Even if the Frankston player had been aware and turned in time, if Parker had shepherded him as aggressively as AFL players are taught to, the injuries could have been even worse.

Perhaps it's time for a stand-alone national reserves competition exclusive for listed players or those training with a list.

I got murdered on Umpiring/MRP for advocating exactly what was being said here - that Parker is paying a heavy price for a simple footy action that went wrong - in part because the other player didn’t commit to the contest.

It wasn’t ‘behind play’ a la Hall
It wasn’t a deliberate head butt
It was executed reasonably and without much vigour
It’s why the Swans are a great ‘team’, they protect each other within the rules.

Terms like ‘taking out’, ‘picking off’, ‘dog act’ and ‘reckless’ are all coming from the WCE and Essendon side of the house - wonder why?

I got murdered on Umpiring/MRP for advocating exactly what was being said here - that Parker is paying a heavy price for a simple footy action that went wrong - in part because the other player didn’t commit to the contest.

It wasn’t ‘behind play’ a la Hall
It wasn’t a deliberate head butt
It was executed reasonably and without much vigour
It’s why the Swans are a great ‘team’, they protect each other within the rules.

Terms like ‘taking out’, ‘picking off’, ‘dog act’ and ‘reckless’ are all coming from the WCE and Essendon side of the house - wonder why?
Drugs have impacted their ability to think rationally?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I doubt overturning the ban is in the frame. He did, after all, plead guilty.

I suspect one angle they’ll try is pointing out that the ban is effectively seven weeks (not six) in AFL time due to the excessive extra byes in the VFL calendar.

Even shaving one week off would be a positive.
Agree

I note Ralphy has edited his tweet to remove the overturning bit.

4 weeks is about right. 'Amateur' VFL players is pushing it a bit they did beat the Swans with their AFL listed players and are in seventh spot. If it was really men against boys this would happen far more often which is what I think ,Buckley is suggesting.

The AFL’s current process seems to be heavily weighted towards the ‘outcome’ rather than the ‘act’.

Tbh , Chad’s elbow to Pittonet’s head last week did not look great, and I thought he’d cop a week for sure. But Pittonet being a big brute of a man hardly flinched and continued on as if nothing happened. Now if that was say a young lightly built player who got concussed and hospitalised by the same ‘act’, we could’ve well seen Chad on the sidelines for weeks!

So the process shouldn’t be influenced by an arbitrary (or unlucky) ‘outcome’, it should be based on the ‘act’… in which case Parker may not even have been suspended at all … and yes, Chad could’ve been suspended? 🤷‍♂️

The AFL’s current process seems to be heavily weighted towards the ‘outcome’ rather than the ‘act’.

Tbh , Chad’s elbow to Pittonet’s head last week did not look great, and I thought he’d cop a week for sure. But Pittonet being a big brute of a man hardly flinched and continued on as if nothing happened. Now if that was say a young lightly built player who got concussed and hospitalised by the same ‘act’, we could’ve well seen Chad on the sidelines for weeks!

So the process shouldn’t be influenced by an arbitrary (or unlucky) ‘outcome’, it should be based on the ‘act’… in which case Parker may not even have been suspended at all … and yes, Chad could’ve been suspended? 🤷‍♂️
I agree. They are now outcome focused. Which, IMO, is wrong. The act and the intent of the act should be paramount. If you missed with your elbow aimed at his jaw with deliberate intent, that should have more weighting for suspension than a Luke Parker turn your body away from the oncoming player and have accidental head contact regardless of the outcome.

Harley has said just now on radio they are contesting the severity of the ban, not a rule of law.

He said ‘We would have accepted four, but we think 6 is disproportionate to Luke’s actions’.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back