Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
They changed the rules after the Maynard farce it was ridiculous they have closed that loophole. Look does he deserve 6 maybe maybe not but does 5 weeks sound any better to everyone? It was always a 5-6 weeker don’t know why everyone is so surprised and up in arms. Let’s move on we have the depth now to nit worry about Parker, Caiden Cleary is coming off a 38 possession game, Sheldrick is there if fit, Mills is now fit.
Harley and Longmire clearly disagree with you.

This was hidden in an article about St Kilda's list...

SWANS INSIST PARKER WILL STAY

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has insisted suspended Swan Luke Parker is “part of the furniture” and won’t be moving to a new club next year.

Parker hasn’t played an AFL game this season and won’t get the chance to present his case again for senior selection until at least round 18 after the VFL appeals board upheld the tribunal’s six-game suspension for his bump on Frankston’s Josh Smith.

The fact the three-time Swans best and fairest winner had to play four matches in the VFL without looking like getting back into a red-hot Sydney AFL side had rival clubs interested in seeing if they could lure him out of the Harbour City.

North Melbourne could be a perfect fit, given his leadership qualities, while other clubs in the premiership window could see him as an ideal back-up next season.

The 31-year-old is contracted to the Swans for next season.

Pridham told Moneyball he had little doubt that Parker could yet play a part in the Swans’ push for a premiership this year, let alone in the future.

Asked if he thought Parker would be at Sydney next year, Pridham said: “Absolutely.”

“It’s not been a great year for him, starting with breaking his arm against the Giants. But I have no doubt Luke will be back. He is a massive competitor and I am sure once he has served his suspension he will be back in the team.

“He is very much in our plans for the back end of this year (as well as next year). He is a part of the furniture and his leadership on and off the ground has been so important for us.”

Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham has insisted suspended Swan Luke Parker is “part of the furniture” and won’t be moving to a new club next year.

Parker hasn’t played an AFL game this season and won’t get the chance to present his case again for senior selection until at least round 18 after the VFL appeals board upheld the tribunal’s six-game suspension for his bump on Frankston’s Josh Smith.

The fact the three-time Swans best and fairest winner had to play four matches in the VFL without looking like getting back into a red-hot Sydney AFL side had rival clubs interested in seeing if they could lure him out of the Harbour City.

North Melbourne could be a perfect fit, given his leadership qualities, while other clubs in the premiership window could see him as an ideal back-up next season.

Pridham told Moneyball he had little doubt that Parker could yet play a part in the Swans’ push for a premiership this year, let alone in the future.

Asked if he thought Parker would be at Sydney next year, Pridham said: “Absolutely.”

“It’s not been a great year for him, starting with breaking his arm against the Giants. But I have no doubt Luke will be back. He is a massive competitor and I am sure once he has served his suspension he will be back in the team.

“He is very much in our plans for the back end of this year (as well as next year). He is a part of the furniture and his leadership on and off the ground has been so important for us.”

Some may have forgotten - the Sydney Swans has a Corporate and Football culture that goes deep - and Parker is a part of that.

He’ll be surrounded by the ‘team’ - everyone will have his back - and they won’t be lying to him.

He’ll know his destiny will be about performance and selection - and he’ll have 4 games to prove he’s a footballer.

I’m betting thats the easy bit for him.

Some may have forgotten - the Sydney Swans has a Corporate and Football culture that goes deep - and Parker is a part of that.

He’ll be surrounded by the ‘team’ - everyone will have his back - and they won’t be lying to him.

He’ll know his destiny will be about performance and selection - and he’ll have 4 games to prove he’s a footballer.

He's certainly lucky to be part of a great culture , they will all support each other and have honest conversations.

This must have been heartening for Parks to see - good on Pridham for backing a club leader

Parker could be a force to be reckoned with come finals. He will be physically fresh and fierce like a lion released from his cage.

We really could have done with his physically against the dogs, and no doubt this will be true come finals as well.

I don’t know who comes out, but I do know I want Parks playing finals.

He does not have prove anything

We should be so lucky if come round 18/19, Parker still can't get a senior game. It would suggest all of our current team have avoided injuries and are still playing well. That should be the priority ahead of Parker's - or any individual's - fortunes.
I still think he’s in the best 22 starting from cold - the reason he could ‘break in’ was about not wanting to disrupt team form.

Come round 18 I’d wager Adams will not be able to keep him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think he’s in the best 22 starting from cold - the reason he could ‘break in’ was about not wanting to disrupt team form.

Come round 18 I’d wager Adams will not be able to keep him out.
Maybe you're right, but personally I'm not as convinced that team form was the reason he wasn't in. We've seen Horse make changes to a winning team in order to bring someone in he saw as an automatic inclusion. I think it was more about team dynamics and Horse finally settling on a balanced team with roles and structures that don't really suit Parker. He simply can't do the roles that Wicks, Jordon, Lloyd, McInerney, Roberts, Amartey, Hayward or any other perceived "fringe player" at the start of the year is currently doing.

Adams is really the only one doing something that Parker could also easily do, so maybe what you predict will eventuate. Or maybe we're timing Adams' run so that he'll be primed right in the period when Parker will be aiming to get back. (Adams is averaging just 68% TOG and only 28% CBAs so far - screams a classic case of player management to me.)

I think he comes in by Round 18 not because player are out of form etc but just because by then hopefully we can just start to rest guys like Adams for a 2 games out of the last 7 or something like that maybe rest someone like a Hayward and play Chad as a marking forward or Heeney playing that role etc. Feel like the last 6-7 games will have major resting just to get 24-26 guys match fit for finals

Maybe you're right, but personally I'm not as convinced that team form was the reason he wasn't in. We've seen Horse make changes to a winning team in order to bring someone in he saw as an automatic inclusion. I think it was more about team dynamics and Horse finally settling on a balanced team with roles and structures that don't really suit Parker. He simply can't do the roles that Wicks, Jordon, Lloyd, McInerney, Roberts, Amartey, Hayward or any other perceived "fringe player" at the start of the year is currently doing.

Adams is really the only one doing something that Parker could also easily do, so maybe what you predict will eventuate. Or maybe we're timing Adams' run so that he'll be primed right in the period when Parker will be aiming to get back. (Adams is averaging just 68% TOG and only 28% CBAs so far - screams a classic case of player management to me.)
I’d agree with you on 90% of the list - but I’m not sold on Adams or Campbell - time will tell I guess.

I think Luke Parker is being underappreciated here. He is more than a "see ball get ball hack-merchant".

Yes, Parker's courage and hardness is a massive part of his game and he leads by example in that department. Yes, he doesn't have the most exquisite skills and he works within his limitations. But that doesn't mean he is dumb. His "hacks" forward from stoppage will be a strategy that has been discussed and pre-approved by the coaches to take territory and renew the contest for the ball further down the ground. (It's not like he's suddenly started surprising them with this tactic and if they didn't like it they might have raised it a little sooner than 2024.) He also has a tremendous understanding of our game plan and the strengths and weaknesses of our playing group which enables him to be an onfield general directing traffic and giving advice to those around him. Have you heard how much he uses his voice on the field?

I think Luke Parker is being underappreciated here. He is more than a "see ball get ball hack-merchant".

Yes, Parker's courage and hardness is a massive part of his game and he leads by example in that department. Yes, he doesn't have the most exquisite skills and he works within his limitations. But that doesn't mean he is dumb. His "hacks" forward from stoppage will be a strategy that has been discussed and pre-approved by the coaches to take territory and renew the contest for the ball further down the ground. (It's not like he's suddenly started surprising them with this tactic and if they didn't like it they might have raised it a little sooner than 2024.) He also has a tremendous understanding of our game plan and the strengths and weaknesses of our playing group which enables him to be an onfield general directing traffic and giving advice to those around him. Have you heard how much he uses his voice on the field?

Parker is hardly under appreciated, as someone who suggested he isn't as good anymore , I know first hand how quick people jump in to tell you how wonderful he is.

In all seriousness the fact that a guy who hasn't played all year (by the time he can again) is still being discussed , shows how much he is appreciated.

The teams lost once by a kick and he cannot play until almost the last game or 2, normally that player would be written off.

Point being the fact he is still a possible and discussed so much shows how much he is valued . As you say he is certainly not just a get ball hack it guy, don't play 282 games if that's your go.

I absolutely love Parks and hope and pray he gets into the 22 at some stage, but at this moment in time, he's not coming in at Adams's expense.

It would truly be a tragedy if we were to finally win the flag that has eluded us so often in the last ten years, if Parker wasn't a part of it.

I'm not writing Parker off until I see him playing in our current midfield. His hack kicking was in part due to playing in an inside group often on it's heals due to an average ruck. With Grundy there, we are constantly on the move forward and he is creating the space and time for our inside mids to get to work.

Parker is hardly under appreciated, as someone who suggested he isn't as good anymore , I know first hand how quick people jump in to tell you how wonderful he is.

In all seriousness the fact that a guy who hasn't played all year (by the time he can again) is still being discussed , shows how much he is appreciated.

The teams lost once by a kick and he cannot play until almost the last game or 2, normally that player would be written off.

Point being the fact he is still a possible and discussed so much shows how much he is valued . As you say he is certainly not just a get ball hack it guy, don't play 282 games if that's your go.
He was named in our bests in 3 of the last 6 games he played. Any suggestions that he's not best 22 or doesn't fit into our current side, or is well behind a similar player in Adams is by definition under appreciative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back