Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty unimpressed with the VFL teams write-up too. Not one mention of Luke returning to side , but Lladdams , Sheldrick etc had a welcome back mention.
I know it was from a suspension & not injury, but still …?

Yeah pretty flat about this whole situation.

Deadset cannot believe some of the stuff I am reading in this thread.
I agree. Plus. No one knows what is going on in club land.
Needs more respect than saying he is in decline. He is key to our flag chances this year. Adams goes down he is straight in. Former captain kicking arse. The vagaries andnuances and ups and downs that can affect a team. He is a constant. You know what you are going to get. 100% hard arse Parker. Revving up the side. Kicking goals. Annoying pansy opposing players shirking it.
He is still the same Parker. Someone named Adams just took his dinky.
Parker needs his dinky back. I'm watching the reserves this weekend looking at Parker. He has to show Adams that it is his dinky. Simple as that. He needs to show the Swans squad that he deserves a place.
That is healthy. AFL teams don't survive on nostalga. AFL teams survive on on feild results and achivements.
Time is not kind to some. But some can defie time for a time. Some defie all and prove themselves.
What happens on field is what matters. Not last week or last year. Parker knows that. Everyone knows that.

Deadset cannot believe some of the stuff I am reading in this thread.
If you have ever been in to the portable toilets on a construction site and read what’s been written on the cubicle walls you will find ramblings of the same quality. Has nearly reached the same levels as the Franklin thread last year.

I feel like Adams and Parker are fighting for the same position. In effect, we most probably have around 1.2 - 1.4 mil tied up in that HF position between 2 veterans who would prefer to play inside mid. The difference between Adams and Parker would be pretty minuscule and to have one or the other playing most probably makes little difference to the team. Begs the question:

Why did we sign Adams? Nothing against him, he's done well for us (without improving us to the extent of Grundy or even Jordan) but I felt it at the time (and definitely now) that his signing made no sense. I'll be very sad if Parker leaves as a direct result of this.

I feel like Adams and Parker are fighting for the same position. In effect, we most probably have around 1.2 - 1.4 mil tied up in that HF position between 2 veterans who would prefer to play inside mid. The difference between Adams and Parker would be pretty minuscule and to have one or the other playing most probably makes little difference to the team. Begs the question:

Why did we sign Adams? Nothing against him, he's done well for us (without improving us to the extent of Grundy or even Jordan) but I felt it at the time (and definitely now) that his signing made no sense. I'll be very sad if Parker leaves as a direct result of this.
Seriously.
Where is Parker going to go?
He's 33 years old next year.
He's contracted to the end of next season.

What team is going to stump up for him?

It's weird how supporters over value their team's players.

It's like a essendon mate of mine telling me that Heppell would be a lock at any club and would be a great addition to a club.

Seriously.

It's like a essendon mate of mine telling me that Heppell would be a lock at any club and would be a great addition to a club.
Agree to disagree on whether anyone other than us would want Parker.
Re. the over value comment, I don't think Parker is necessarily a best 22 lock. But I do think Adams is playing the position best suited to LP in 2024. I also think at best he would only be marginally better. So what was the point in signing Adams?

Re. the over value comment, I don't think Parker is necessarily a best 22 lock. But I do think Adams is playing the position best suited to LP in 2024. I also think at best he would only be marginally better. So what was the point in signing Adams?
Adams plays 70% tog as a HF.
So no. Not really.

Well he has been available this year to date and Parker has not. Point 1.
Would we have won all of the games this year without Adams and without Parker. I doubt it. Point 2.
I think the point is the stronger your team the better your chances of winning a flag. Point 3.
I think it is important that you maximise your chances. Point 4.

Adams plays 70% tog as a HF.
So no. Not really.
You're taking the piss. In all the disagreements on his board about Parker this year, the one constant everyone agrees on is that Parker and Adams are by far the most like for like potential swap.

You don't think he's good enough to play for us, and you don't reckon he'd get a gig anywhere else. Is your honest opinion that Parker plays out his current contract as depth in the VFL then retires?

Last edited:
You're taking the piss. In all the disagreements on his board about Parker this year, the one constant everyone agrees on is that Parker and Adams are by far the most like for like potential swap.
I'm just telling you the actual TOG statistics. You can ignore them. However it's a fact.
Basically since rd 11.

Before that. Sure. Taylor has more CB and stoppage time.

Taylor is basically. For lack of a better term. Playing a role.

Parker is a Alpha mid. That's his game style and attributes.
Always has been. Always will be .

Current Alpha mid setup is Heeney, Warner, Rowie, Gulden .
Add Grundy who is basically a big extra mid.

Throw in the Beta mids. Jmac, Papley, Adams, JJ.

Now we'll also add Mills to the mix. Who I reckon will play midfield in D50.

Adams seemed to come in to give us depth. Which has worked with Parker being out. But I can't help but feel if Parker had plated the first 4-5 before getting injured he'd be back in.

Seriously.

Mate he turns 33 after the end of next season. Pump the brakes a bit.

The amount of distortion going on in this thread is bizarre.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree. Plus. No one knows what is going on in club land.
Needs more respect than saying he is in decline. He is key to our flag chances this year. Adams goes down he is straight in. Former captain kicking arse. The vagaries andnuances and ups and downs that can affect a team. He is a constant. You know what you are going to get. 100% hard arse Parker. Revving up the side. Kicking goals. Annoying pansy opposing players shirking it.
He is still the same Parker. Someone named Adams just took his dinky.
Parker needs his dinky back. I'm watching the reserves this weekend looking at Parker. He has to show Adams that it is his dinky. Simple as that. He needs to show the Swans squad that he deserves a place.
That is healthy. AFL teams don't survive on nostalga. AFL teams survive on on feild results and achivements.
Time is not kind to some. But some can defie time for a time. Some defie all and prove themselves.
What happens on field is what matters. Not last week or last year. Parker knows that. Everyone knows that.
All largely true, but then there is also Horse and his favourites.
Being one of the best mids in the comp didn't get Mitchell into our team when Horse didn't fancy him.
I mean I guess Horse sees the greater good in developing other players at certain times over players clearly better than them, but it can be hard to swallow at times for fans of those players not getting in the team when they deserve to.

If it suits the Swans to get his salary off the books, and another club needs a leader in the middle and around the club, he will go for a token pick. Like Hodge did.

I would hate to see that. And I would love to see him playing for our team against North this week. Hope he is a late in.

Mate he turns 33 after the end of next season. Pump the brakes a bit.

The amount of distortion going on in this thread is bizarre.
He's a 2010 draft player.
He's played what 280 odd games .

The amount of delusion about a veteran player is bizarre.

As is the nostalgia.

Football is a brutal business.
Especially nowadays.

I reckon people are struggling to grasp the concept that 300 games is a achievement nowadays that is rare.

A generation ago. It was 400

If it suits the Swans to get his salary off the books, and another club needs a leader in the middle and around the club, he will go for a token pick. Like Hodge did.

I would hate to see that. And I would love to see him playing for our team against North this week. Hope he is a late in.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around him not getting to 300 for us when at one point it looked like he could hit 350.

As is the nostalgia.

Especially nowadays.

I reckon people are struggling to grasp the concept that 300 games is a achievement nowadays that is rare.

What are you on about? More players are hitting 300 games than ever before, and not sure why that has any bearing on the discussion as if he's out purely because he's almost at 300.

Who cares what year he was drafted? What year was Pendles drafted?

Delusion only from the bloke fixating on his age after the end of next season.

As is the nostalgia.

Especially nowadays.

Look at his numbers and form last season.

This isn't about nostalgia and calling people "deluded" for suggesting he should get a game is garbage.

If you are happy to throw out names like Hamling to replace Amartey but then chastise anyone about the new toy crap? The hypocrisy ….
Amartey is out of form and wouldn't hurt to try something else. We need depth if players go down in September. The same reason Parker should get a run.

Look at his numbers and form last season.

This isn't about nostalgia and calling people "deluded" for suggesting he should get a game is garbage.
Where is he getting a game?
Honestly.

This is what pisses me off about supporters and their nostalgia.

The swans have completely revamped and reshaped their midfield.

Statistically. It's one of the best. Ever.
Subjectively. It's one of the best I've seen. Ever.

It's one of the most dominant, if not the best performance by a swans side in H&A season ever.

I trust in this direction the coaching staff have enabled.

You can argue whether or not Parker adds or detracts from this direction. However I'm putting faith in the swans coaching group.

Where is he getting a game?
Honestly.

This is what pisses me off about supporters and their nostalgia.

The swans have completely revamped and reshaped their midfield.

Statistically. It's one of the best. Ever.
Subjectively. It's one of the best I've seen. Ever.

It's one of the most dominant, if not the best performance by a swans side in H&A season ever.

I trust in this direction the coaching staff have enabled.

You can argue whether or not Parker adds or detracts from this direction. However I'm putting faith in the swans coaching group.
Roberts, Campbell could easily go out for him. Adams was the sub. We've lost two in a row I don't think it's unreasonable to shake it up.

I'm sorry that pisses you off so much. I might suggest that wanting a player who played well last year to get a chance isn't quite nostalgia.

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back