Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. So he's going to play down back /wing
It's almost like players can shuffle positions. If Heeney had got off we had Mills coming in for Wicks ffs.

So basically. Barely changing the team on the top of the table.
Sounds ideal
Will be fantastic when we cop an injury in a prelim and throw in an undercooked Parker.

You also seem intent on refusing to acknowledge changes don't have to be like for like. Discussions would go a lot better if you could acknowledge when someone's made a valid point instead of calling everyone deluded.

Where is he getting a game?
Honestly.

This is what pisses me off about supporters and their nostalgia.

The swans have completely revamped and reshaped their midfield.

Statistically. It's one of the best. Ever.
Subjectively. It's one of the best I've seen. Ever.

It's one of the most dominant, if not the best performance by a swans side in H&A season ever.

I trust in this direction the coaching staff have enabled.

You can argue whether or not Parker adds or detracts from this direction. However I'm putting faith in the swans coaching group.
He walks into a dozen other midfields tomorrow.

For us, he should have replaced Wicks after his first VFL game if you want minimal reshuffling. Could just have easily been a straight swap for Adams who would have been slightly unluckier to lose his spot. And with a bit of work on the magnets, could also come in for Roberts or Campbell.

Sorry if that pisses you off but you've yet to acknowledge that Parker is still playing very good footy. I find it equally frustrating that people are so willing to cast aside a club champion who got injured simply because we're on top of the ladder.

He walks into a dozen other midfields tomorrow.

For us, he should have replaced Wicks after his first VFL game if you want minimal reshuffling. Could just have easily been a straight swap for Adams who would have been slightly unluckier to lose his spot. And with a bit of work on the magnets, could also come in for Roberts or Campbell.

Sorry if that pisses you off but you've yet to acknowledge that Parker is still playing very good footy. I find it equally frustrating that people are so willing to cast aside a club champion who got injured simply because we're on top of the ladder.
People wanted no changes because you keep a winning side unchanged but now that we are loosing its too hard to change the side when we are on more than just a 2 game slide our last 5 performances have been dreadful

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's obviously 2 camps when it comes to Parker.

His hack kicks are one thing, but suggesting he was out of form last year, or cooked, is something I can't agree with. There was a point mid season where Parker was absolutely on fire. His form dipped towards the end of the year, and it was a pretty dramatic drop from dominating one game, and then slightly underperforming the next. I assumed he was carrying a niggle that prevented him from playing at his best, I may be wrong, but that's how it appeared from the outside.

Noone can claim he's cooked, because he hasn't been given an opportunity to prove himself. Parker is a competitive beast, so I'd expect his form to be aparent within a 3-4 game stretch.

The Parker/Adams situation is an interesting one. On one hand you've got a club champion. On the other, you have a player who put his faith in your word and your organisation and chose to leave his old club based on what I'd assume was a gentleman's agreement that you would offer him the role he expected when he moved across.

The club is doing the right thing by Adams, and he's played his role very well, so he deserves his place in the team. But putting myself in Parker's shoes, I'd be absolutely filthy at the situation. Going from a key mid, to not getting a start, without an opportunity to even prove yourself.

I dont really know how to reconcile Parker's situation. And for all I know. Parker's had words with horse and has been told where he sits in the pecking order and will need to wait for an injury to get a place in the side.

There's obviously 2 camps when it comes to Parker.

His hack kicks are one thing, but suggesting he was out of form last year, or cooked, is something I can't agree with. There was a point mid season where Parker was absolutely on fire. His form dipped towards the end of the year, and it was a pretty dramatic drop from dominating one game, and then slightly underperforming the next. I assumed he was carrying a niggle that prevented him from playing at his best, I may be wrong, but that's how it appeared from the outside.

Noone can claim he's cooked, because he hasn't been given an opportunity to prove himself. Parker is a competitive beast, so I'd expect his form to be aparent within a 3-4 game stretch.

The Parker/Adams situation is an interesting one. On one hand you've got a club champion. On the other, you have a player who put his faith in your word and your organisation and chose to leave his old club based on what I'd assume was a gentleman's agreement that you would offer him the role he expected when he moved across.

The club is doing the right thing by Adams, and he's played his role very well, so he deserves his place in the team. But putting myself in Parker's shoes, I'd be absolutely filthy at the situation. Going from a key mid, to not getting a start, without an opportunity to even prove yourself.

I dont really know how to reconcile Parker's situation. And for all I know. Parker's had words with horse and has been told where he sits in the pecking order and will need to wait for an injury to get a place in the side.
Footy is business.

Good clubs remove nostalgia and past performance.

Shit clubs play Dustin Fletcher and Boomer.

I trust the swans coaching group.

Footy is business.

So pies are shit for playing Pendle? Any club that has a player hit 300 is shit? Gotcha

Footy is business.

It's not nostalgia from my perspective. Painting those who want Parker in the side as purely nostalgic is a mistake.

3 questions remain unanswered.
1. Is Adams a better fit for the team than Parker?
2. Will bringing Parker into the team create an inbalance in the team, or will it strengthen the team.
3. Are we guaranteed not to have any injuries to our mids for the rest of the season.

For those reasons, I think it's a must that Parker is given a run. And I hope the coaches have a plan for how they'll give Parker a go before we hit finals, because a failure to do so may cause issues if we cop injuries and need to call on a disgruntled Parker.

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back