Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with most of this but on the point about 'only one party playing it out in public' Parker has said as much publicly as Harley. The media speculation about him going to North may well have come from his manager but is no different to a dozen other players who are being shopped around. The leaks always end up coming from managers not clubs because what incentives do clubs have for leaking that stuff?
Could be coming from North also. If they start the narrative, it makes it harder for Parker to stay.

Parker might feel he's seen the writing on the wall. He wasn't picked after coming back from injury before he got suspended (to be fair the way we were going at that time I didn't think he should have come straight back in). Then when he was picked after suspension he was sub a couple of times compared to Mills who was persevered with week in week out playing some ordinary football.
Having Heeney play mainly in the mids this year and the emergence of some of the younger guys has pushed Parker away from being a walk up start in the team. His best is still good enough but he has far more competition now.
I could well understand him looking for another option which could extend his career elsewhere and he would be negligent not to at least see what the market offers. But I don't think the Swans should be throwing another contract in front of him before assessing what his form is like next year.
If he goes I think a lower second round pick or even a third. I wouldn't see the club playing hardball with him if he wanted to go.

Parker might feel he's seen the writing on the wall. He wasn't picked after coming back from injury before he got suspended (to be fair the way we were going at that time I didn't think he should have come straight back in). Then when he was picked after suspension he was sub a couple of times compared to Mills who was persevered with week in week out playing some ordinary football.
Having Heeney play mainly in the mids this year and the emergence of some of the younger guys has pushed Parker away from being a walk up start in the team. His best is still good enough but he has far more competition now.
I could well understand him looking for another option which could extend his career elsewhere and he would be negligent not to at least see what the market offers. But I don't think the Swans should be throwing another contract in front of him before assessing what his form is like next year.
If he goes I think a lower second round pick or even a third. I wouldn't see the club playing hardball with him if he wanted to go.
This is a very good point about unintended consequences. If Mills was brought back through the reserves also (as almost everyone thought should happen at the time and was proven correct), the impact on Parker would have been less pronounced.

That said, I still think his exit interview would be upfront and highlight he would be a fringe best 22 player next year.

This is a very good point about unintended consequences. If Mills was brought back through the reserves also (as almost everyone thought should happen at the time and was proven correct), the impact on Parker would have been less pronounced.

That said, I still think his exit interview would be upfront and highlight he would be a fringe best 22 player next year.

Absolutely, which is all I was trying to say yesterday which somehow got warped into whether he was by the letter of the definition disrespected, who was to blame if he felt slighted, etc. etc.

Cal on Parks on yesterday’s ep of Gettable:

"I'd be surprised now with the way things are tracking if both of those (two players) aren't at North Melbourne next year," Twomey said of Darling and Parker.

😔

Not sure why he would want to go to north and risk fading out in their VFL side (more so as they play kids when they go to shit in 2 years )

But everyone gets connected to North, so let's see.

Not sure why he would want to go to north and risk fading out in their VFL side (more so as they play kids when they go to shit in 2 years )

Probably because he has read the play that this is his last chance to get a nice contract and North are an obvious fit.

I would think North would pretty much be the only club that would offer him big fat bucks for another couple of seasons, so may as well take the $.
A footballers has only a finite time to make the bucks so why not extend it as long as possible, I can't see him getting offered an extension here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would think North would pretty much be the only club that would offer him big fat bucks for another couple of seasons, so may as well take the $.
A footballers has only a finite time to make the bucks so why not extend it as long as possible, I can't see him getting offered an extension here.

Oh absolutely go grab the $ and make what you can if that's what you want don't begrudge anyone getting it. If money is the driver go for it. Guess he has a flag.

Don't know just be surprised if he goes to North . They are a quick side and young midfield, is he playing there for the next 2-3 regularly .

I'd rather have Parker than Adams going forward. If Parker chooses to leave I can live with that but not so much if it's because Adams has taken his spot (which clearly, right now, Adams hasn't).

Also never underestimate the value of feeling wanted. Clarkson really wants Parker and said so publicly. Sydney will have him next year but a role is not guaranteed.

Source please?

Source please?
A month ago;

'Clarkson said he is also interested in chatting with Port Adelaide's Ollie Wines, Sydney duo Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, and Greater Western Sydney veteran Callan Ward.'

As I said at the time 'interesting' that Clarkson would publicly name players under contract. :thumbsdown:

Luke getting a lot of attention, but not much discussion on Dane.

Just with regards to off-field, Luke's wife has a well established interior design business and they also have a property company.
They would I'd imagine be a major consideration as to whether Luke was to decamp, particularly as he already has a Swans contract for 2025.

Not sure what relationship/business ventures Dane has in Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back