Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Look. Sad to see him go but right now I still have clear vision stuck in my head of 3 Brisbane D50 clearances in the space of 3 minutes when he and another forward took 2 steps into the chase before stopping to a walk. In a Grand ****ing Final.

As for this narrative I am seeing on socials that he was poorly treated by the club. Since when has being made to earn your spot in a side that was winning every game being treated poorly? If that's being treated poorly, give me more of it. It's what we need. Accountability and desperation.

Look. Sad to see him go but right now I still have clear vision stuck in my head of 3 Brisbane D50 clearances in the space of 3 minutes when he and another forward took 2 steps into the chase before stopping to a walk. In a Grand ****ing Final.

As for this narrative I am seeing on socials that he was poorly treated by the club. Since when has being made to earn your spot in a side that was winning every game being treated poorly? If that's being treated poorly, give me more of it. It's what we need. Accountability and desperation.

If we Chad requested a trade to the eagles today with a year to go people would tear him to shreds, Parker clearly was half out the door for a few months and is the victim apparently 😂

If we Chad requested a trade to the eagles today with a year to go people would tear him to shreds, Parker clearly was half out the door for a few months and is the victim apparently

Yeah people would tear him to shreds because they have no ****ing idea. As I’ve said, if he’s going, do the right thing by the club and go now so we can get decent value. Meanwhile, the first thing we have heard from any of the players on socials is Chad flogging boxed mattresses. Quite ironic considering the side was asleep for the Grand Final. I’ve managed to stop myself from posting a response, for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunno if you'd call an investment property your forever home but maybe they'd move back up.
I actually wonder if she'd even bother moving down to melb. Her business is in Sydney. More likely she stays, he goes for a couple of years then moves back afterwards.

Being told to play VFL then start as sub behind players you're clearly better than after losing your spot to injury absolutely qualifies as poor treatment.

Being nudged out because the club gave a longer contract to a similar but inferior player is even worse.

If we Chad requested a trade to the eagles today with a year to go people would tear him to shreds, Parker clearly was half out the door for a few months and is the victim apparently 😂
You know I respect your opinion mate but this is off the mark.

Parker has clearly been in communication with the club and been told that his best chance to play senior footy for a couple more years is to do so elsewhere, in part because they gave the extra year he's looking for to Adams.

If you think the club has done fine by him, I disagree, but ok. I don't however think there is any argument though that Parker is the one in the wrong.

Last edited:
For those who didn't click through 😢
The 31-year-old said he has loved his time in Sydney.

“Coming to Sydney as a 19-year-old completely changed my life. Sydney became my home, I met my wife Kate here and the Swans became our family,” Parker said.

“The decision to part ways with the club after 14 years has been an extremely difficult choice, one I thought I’d never have to make. My most valued memories have been forged here, alongside a group of teammates who have become like brothers, and with fans who have shown me more love than I could have ever imagined deserving.

“The Sydney Swans will always hold a special place for my family and I.”

Coach John Longmire said Parker will go down as a champion of the Bloods.

“Parks has been an absolute pleasure to coach since he walked into this club all those years ago,” Longmire said.

“He has been one of the hardest and most competitive players we’ve had and his resilience and ability to keep backing up, time after time, is something I always admired.

“His footy CV is up there with some of the all-time greats. He is a Premiership player, three time best and fairest and is as a Swans champion and fan favourite.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like 90% of his teammates, only did anything in the second half though. His last quarter (which was completely meaningless at that point) overshadowed doing squat the first half. Now he wasn't alone there for sure but lets not pretend he had some fantastic final.

That said in the second quarter I do wonder whether we missed a trick not throwing Parker into the centre for even 10 mins or so.
The ball never got near our forward line for the first three quarters of the game so there really wasn't much he could have done.

He should have been put in the guts when the Lions were continuously waltzing it out in the second.

The ball never got near our forward line for the first three quarters of the game so there really wasn't much he could have done.

He should have been put in the guts when the Lions were continuously waltzing it out in the second.

Don’t disagree but I’m not going to say he had a great game when the Lions were in party mode at 3/4 time

So sad to see Luke depart.

He'll always be much loved (much like Hanners, or Jetta).

I just have this nagging worry .... was it Adams getting 3 years that has brought about this result?

Reading Parker's statements ("an extremely difficult choice, one I never thought I'd have to make") - it does increase that worry.

Don’t disagree but I’m not going to say he had a great game when the Lions were in party mode at 3/4 time
Whilst I agree, the same method should probably be applied to Chad Warner's 2022 GF, which the media think was so amazing.

He had 12 disposals and 2 goals in the 4th quarter when the margin at 3QT was 74 points. Had 4 touches in the first when the game was alive.

Just junk-time stat-padding and Champion Data fell for it.

I don't think Parker should get a pass mark for his GF, but the media aren't rushing to give him one either, so it's a bit unfair that he's been singled out by some for a poor GF when he had about 20 mates. His finals series overall though was not where it needed to be, defensive jobs or not, and it's for that reason I'm confident we're not losing a player that important to our fortunes next year.

This is such an off take.

I just have this nagging worry .... was it Adams getting 3 years that has brought about this result?

Reading Parker's statements ("an extremely difficult choice, one I never thought I'd have to make") - it does increase that worry.
DQ we are never really going to know

Being told to play VFL then start as sub behind players you're clearly better than after losing your spot to injury absolutely qualifies as poor treatment.

Being nudged out because the club gave a longer contract to a similar but inferior player is even worse.
So do you want the club to just play veterans until they fix out?
I mean what do you guys want. The end comes quick. He is contacted to the Swans in 2025. He may dominate but he also may struggle to get past round 10.

I interpreted that statement from Parker to mean that he never imagined the Swans team would move past him while he still had more to give as a player.

So do you want the club to just play veterans until they fix out?
I mean what do you guys want. The end comes quick. He is contacted to the Swans in 2025. He may dominate but he also may struggle to get past round 10.

I don't understand where this notion that he 'may struggle to get past round 10'. This isn't a Kennedy breaking down with repeated soft tissues. Parker has been impeccably fit for almost his entire career, with bone breaks his main injury source, and a VFL suspension this year he should never been in a position to incur. He's slowed down a touch but he showed in the PF he still has an integral role he can play for a side, and even on GF day he played his role pretty well. To criticise him because he's not 10 years younger and able to play through the middle is to confuse the value he adds to the team currently.

As someone else said, for the next two years we'll have Adams on the list. Would you rather have Adams for those two years or Parker? Adams isn't the player he was either, but somehow he's got an 'extra' year out of the club that Parker wasn't able to get.

I don't understand where this notion that he 'may struggle to get past round 10'. This isn't a Kennedy breaking down with repeated soft tissues. Parker has been impeccably fit for almost his entire career, with bone breaks his main injury source, and a VFL suspension this year he should never been in a position to incur. He's slowed down a touch but he showed in the PF he still has an integral role he can play for a side, and even on GF day he played his role pretty well. To criticise him because he's not 10 years younger and able to play through the middle is to confuse the value he adds to the team currently.

As someone else said, for the next two years we'll have Adams on the list. Would you rather have Adams for those two years or Parker? Adams isn't the player he was either, but somehow he's got an 'extra' year out of the club that Parker wasn't able to get.
Parker.

I’d rather have Parker.

But in truth, from a pure playing list perspective & setting all emotion aside:

I’d probably rather have neither.

It’s time for some of our kids to shine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back