Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny to see Norf fans think he’s there saviour 😂

We don't think he is our saviour, if we did, we would offer a lot more than pick 62. We could use good quality experience to help out for the short-term. He just seemed a surplus to Sydney's needs, he obviously felt the same way.

If he leaves now, he has the opportunity now to extend his career for two to three years, if he spend most of next year in the VFL then comes out of contract, the offers probably wont be there.

Swans are well within their rights to keep him or haggle for whatever they want for him, but it does so at Parker's expense. Most clubs do the right thing by the player when they have been s servant for their entire career. When Tarrant was near the end of his career, he wanted to go to Richmond as an UFA, we would have got next to nothing as compensation due to his age and he wasn't going on a lot of money, but because Richmond also had a free agent leaving they didn't want to compromise their compensation. We did a trade and let him go for nothing, it wasn't for Richmond's benefit but it was for Tarrant.

I think most reasonable people have that kind of perspective.

We don't think he is our saviour, if we did, we would offer a lot more than pick 62. We could use good quality experience to help out for the short-term. He just seemed a surplus to Sydney's needs, he obviously felt the same way.

If he leaves now, he has the opportunity now to extend his career for two to three years, if he spend most of next year in the VFL then comes out of contract, the offers probably wont be there.

Swans are well within their rights to keep him or haggle for whatever they want for him, but it does so at Parker's expense. Most clubs do the right thing by the player when they have been s servant for their entire career. When Tarrant was near the end of his career, he wanted to go to Richmond as an UFA, we would have got next to nothing as compensation due to his age and he wasn't going on a lot of money, but because Richmond also had a free agent leaving they didn't want to compromise their compensation. We did a trade and let him go for nothing, it wasn't for Richmond's benefit but it was for Tarrant.

I think most reasonable people have that kind of perspective.

If you want a player that occassionally wins it out of the middle then when he does blind kicks it to the opposition defenders be my guest. He's past his prime as a midfielder. Would be good in your forward line though, But we're sick to death of being screwed over in the trading period though IE: Tom Mitchell and Jordan Dawson.

If you want a player that occassionally wins it out of the middle then when he does blind kicks it to the opposition defenders be my guest. He's past his prime as a midfielder. Would be good in your forward line though, But we're sick to death of being screwed over in the trading period though IE: Tom Mitchell and Jordan Dawson.

tbh, it is less about the on-field results, it is about driving standards in terms of preparation, training, etc. There are a lot of things coaching staff can do, but there are some things that are driven by the playing group and that has been a weak point for us, we have a lot of good kids but we lack the senior players that know what it takes to play at the highest level.

I understand where you are coming from in relation to Mitchell and Dawson. We often get bent over in trades as well so I don't think the club is looking to do Swans dirty, it is not like we are after Warner and are looking to screw the Swans over. Realistically, Parker isn't in your best 18, if he was out of contract this year you probably wouldn't be offering him an extension so I think it is different to Dawson or Mitchell or anyone that is really required for a premiership push next year.

But, it is up to the Swans, if they don't want to let him go then they do not have to let him go.

tbh, it is less about the on-field results, it is about driving standards in terms of preparation, training, etc. There are a lot of things coaching staff can do, but there are some things that are driven by the playing group and that has been a weak point for us, we have a lot of good kids but we lack the senior players that know what it takes to play at the highest level.

I understand where you are coming from in relation to Mitchell and Dawson. We often get bent over in trades as well so I don't think the club is looking to do Swans dirty, it is not like we are after Warner and are looking to screw the Swans over. Realistically, Parker isn't in your best 18, if he was out of contract this year you probably wouldn't be offering him an extension so I think it is different to Dawson or Mitchell or anyone that is really required for a premiership push next year.

But, it is up to the Swans, if they don't want to let him go then they do not have to let him go.
The Jordan Dawson trade in particular has probably left the Swans a little wary at the trade table. Pick 14 wasn't good enough for a player like Dawson's ability. Parker would bring in some good standards to your club, but personally I would probaly like him to stay. Unlike what some say, I don't mind him as a marking forward. Would be a shame for him to see him play his 300th for another club also.

The Jordan Dawson trade in particular has probably left the Swans a little wary at the trade table. Pick 14 wasn't good enough for a player like Dawson's ability. Parker would bring in some good standards to your club, but personally I would probaly like him to stay. Unlike what some say, I don't mind him as a marking forward. Would be a shame for him to see him play his 300th for another club also.

Dawson was and still is a great player and in was in his prime when he left and I agree with you.

I understand where you are coming from in relation to Parker and I have no ill feelings if the trade can't be done. He signed a contract and I am sure he is fine with honouring it if a trade can't be done.

I think if the Swans said he is contracted and we think he is important for us next year and we wont consider a trade then I think that is fair enough, he is contracted. But, they are haggling for a price and I think that is a different message to him being a required player. I would be a bit insulted if I was in Parker's shoes. It is not the end result but the messaging.

Dawson was and still is a great player and in was in his prime when he left and I agree with you.

I understand where you are coming from in relation to Parker and I have no ill feelings if the trade can't be done. He signed a contract and I am sure he is fine with honouring it if a trade can't be done.

I think if the Swans said he is contracted and we think he is important for us next year and we wont consider a trade then I think that is fair enough, he is contracted. But, they are haggling for a price and I think that is a different message to him being a required player. I would be a bit insulted if I was in Parker's shoes. It is not the end result but the messaging.
that North don't really want him? I agree that would be insulting to offer pick 62.

The haggling could just be bargaining and trying to drag out the negotiations until the last day of trading (whenever this is)? Pick 43 and swap picks lower in the draft would get the deal done.

The Dawson one I understand. Sydney made him into what he is. They're always being criticised for the Academy assistance but there is also astute recruiting gong on. A speculative pick that is now a Captain. There's something about Sydney. I know the GF performance wasn't great, and to be honest I think that has shaken them up a bit which may be why they're dragging a bit on the Parker situation. He was one of their better players. But they'll come good. They're too good not to.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back